Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What rod?

What's the best rod for the job? Ultra Light-Med Light-or Medium?

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

What job are you talking about, specifically?
    I have two UgliStiks, a 6'6" medium and a 5' ultra light. I use them both on every fishing trip.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

Flyboy is right. We need a little more detail. Casting, jigging, trolling, pullin cranks?????????

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't put down what for. I was specifically talking about slip bobbers/minnows/live bait...For Crappie...Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

For what your talkin I really like the Ugly Stick SPL 1100 90 , it is 9' for line pick up and is long enough to dip brush and pads in a pinch. Since your not feelin for a thump on a jig it, is in my opinion( and that's worth exactly what you paid for it) perfect for that task.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might look into a Shakespeare Micro Graphite 7' lite action at wal mart, about $18. Versatile and lightweight, I have 3 and love them.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For that situation, I'd choose a Pfluger President spincast combo.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 Berkley IM6 Rods I use for slip bobbers. Both are for spinning reels. Most people prefer long poles, Im not most people and prefer short poles, one is 6'6" and the other 5'6". Both ultra-lights. I can pitch or cast to the honey hole, plus they fit in my boat, where they live year long.

You didnt ask, however I use Shimano spinning reels, one has two spools. The single spool reel I keep 4 pound mono on. The dual spool reels have 6 and 8 pound mono. That reel is on the longer rod.

I use the 5'6" rod when I park in the trees, or anchor up over the crib. Plus with the light line I can cast a lure a long ways.
    I use the 6'6" rod mostly for casting, still slip bobber, however Im searching the area for more schooled up crappies. Cast out, let the bobber stand up, and slowely crank it back to me.

I use #4 or #6 hooks. #6 on the 4 pound mono and 5'6" rod. This way even if I do get hung up in the brush I can straigthen the hook and get all my gear back. Either rebend the hook or tie on a new one.

I use the #4 hook on the longer 6'6" pole. The 6 pound does fine, however if its really windy or wavy I'll switch to the 8 pound, gives me the extra back to crank through the waves and trees.

Bait is minnows either lipped or through the back. Depends on which way they want thier last supper.

Only thing left is the bobber and weight, regardless of bobber, I have enough weight the bobber is what I call nuetrally bouyant. It barely floats and if a dragon fly lands on it it will sink.

Back to the question- as soon as the finances allow, I want a pair of St.Croix poles- both ultra light and again 5'6" and 6'6" in length.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

7' light action rod
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. I have a 6'6" Ugly Stick Lgt. and a 5'5" Ugly UL Iuse 4#-6# about like Hanr3. I lost a couple real nice Crappie the other night, they fell off as I lifted them out of the water. I'm kinda new at this, but knew better than to not use my net. Thought maybe my rods weren't the right ones, but there ok. Thanks again. I like the dragon fly on the bobber thing....Thumbs Up