Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Good Dissolved Oxygen levels for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Dissolved Oxygen levels for crappie?

With the water temps rising daily, which decreases the DO %, what would be a good DO percentage to find crappie at?
    I think some of the areas I fish is too low in DO.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For what this is worth (milligrams per liter)

You can tell which water is dead (not enough ox.) by looking at the graph. My Lowrance shows the dead water near the bottom as very grainy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In this picture you can see the bait is above the dead water. In most cases as of lately the graph is even more grainey near the bottom, but I dont have any better pictures to display.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

My DO meter read 6.3 PPM Saturday in the marina cove. Is this enough for crappie to be comfortable?

Post Thanks / Like

More than enough if it is an accurate meter. What type is it? if I may ask. Would love to have one but the good hand held ones I have seen were 200 dollars and up, and even more for an extension chord for the probe to probe deeper water.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Dan View Post
    My DO meter read 6.3 PPM Saturday in the marina cove. Is this enough for crappie to be comfortable?
    Captain Dan,

6.3ppm would be sufficient for crappie. Gabowman's table is a good guide. Fish usually can start stressing under 4ppm and will start to die in 1-2ppm range (depending on the species as some species are more tolerant of low DO).

Remember that DO can change throughout the day usually being the lowest at dawn and the highest late afternoon after many hours of sunlight and photosynthesis.