Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on redoing my little Pond Prowler?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any ideas on redoing my little Pond Prowler?

Got a little 9 ft pond prowler, anyone done one, any ideas? It's a single seat, no livewell, single trolling motor, FF up front on the TM. anyone have a pics of yours?
    Hey, catchin' fish is easy, finding thems the hard part.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one at one time, I loved that little boat! Got it from BPS. I'd spend 15-20 hours at a time in it on a regular basis. At the time I was dating a fair-skinned redhead who also loved to fish, so I made a canopy for it out of 1/2" thinwall and a cheap blue tarp. I actually ran 2 trolling motors on it (front & rear), and I swear I could have pulled a skier! Wish I had pics, I'd have been happy to post them. Enjoy yours, I've regretted selling mine...........

Post Thanks / Like

I'de be interested iin know how ya made the canopy, how did you mount it? thinwall metal? how big were the TM's?

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I'd have taken pics of it. I owned several Jeeps which was where I got the idea, if you look at how the rear bows are on the older CJ's (not sure about the newer ones) mount and fit under the top, I did basically the same thing. I used spring clamps to hold the tarp in place, and small 1" ratchet straps to keep tension on the bows (just 1 on each end, not on both corners, this left the side open for casting). You could buy a grommet kit, and cut the tarp to size, then install new (and more closely spaced) grommets, or even snaps onto the bows and tarp, or wrap the tarp over the top, and tie the sides from underneath also. Sounds like it would be a mess to cast from, but it wasn't bad at all (as long as you can side-arm). I think both TMs were 30 lb. Made it nicer when hauling 2 people, gear, coolers, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  DSCF0334.jpg
Views: 12358
Size:  68.7 KBName:  DSCF0336.jpg
Views: 15123
Size:  65.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by totempole View Post
    Got a little 9 ft pond prowler, anyone done one, any ideas? It's a single seat, no livewell, single trolling motor, FF up front on the TM. anyone have a pics of yours?

Here's my starting point, ain't much, but i hope it's better than bank fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

You're selling that sweet little boat short! I promise you can catch just as many fish in that as a guy in a $30K boat. If I had a way to haul one, I'd own another one in a heartbeat! Not sure if you know it, but you can get another seat (lol, unless you want a reason not to take anyone else). Good thing about a single seater is you can slide it anywhere in the boat you like.

If it were mine, I'd mount the trolling motor, and add a good deep-cycle battery. I'd also add permenantly mounted navigation lights, a depth/"fish" finder, a submersible crappie light, and probably a second battery for those items (but I like to stay on the water for long periods of time, so you may not want/need a 2nd battery....but if you did, you could also run an aerator for a minnow bucket withoug draining your trolling battery, or use a cooler as a livewell/baitwell like I do.

I don't troll, but if you do, a rod holder set-up would be a good addition as well. Some guys like to use a fish basket or stringer, but when it's this hot, a cooler of ice is good for the keepers (which you've got plenty of room for, plus you could toss some grub in it at least until you started filling it with fish Thumbs Up, even then you can pack foor in a tupperware container, and leave it in the cooler). I mentioned a sun shade earlier, they also make an umberlla mount which fastens to the back of a boat seat. If you're gonna be fishing by yourself, I'd splurge on the most comfortable swivel-seat I could afford, and pick-up a large golf umbrella at a yard sale. Fasten a piece of appropriate sized PVC (cap the bottom) to the back of the seat, and you're in business.

The Bass Tracker I had (similar to your boat) had a livewell, and rod locker.....neither large enough to serve their intended purpose, and just ended-up being catch-alls for misc. storage. Again, this type of boat serves a very good purpose, and will not only allow you into smaller places where larger boats can't go, but they're great on the larger (electric motor only) bodies of water as well. You're a step-ahead of many who wished they had your boat, don't sell it short, I've had loads of fun, and caught lots of fish in a similar boat. Just make it so you're comfortable in it (again, with a comfortable seat) regardless if you're haulin-in some slabs, or just having a slow relaxing time on the water. Either way, you're doin' pretty good in my book! Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up one of the early style pond prowler bantam 2x 9' boat. I've done a little bit to it to get it to my liking. I will be taking it out to a local canal tomorrow morning to give it a try. Here's a pic of what I've done so far.

Name:  DSCN0587.jpg
Views: 20915
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0582.jpg
Views: 15933
Size:  42.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Neonmoon on not selling your little boat short. They are great for fishing the smaller places. After the big boats take over the big lake I fish I abandon my Tracker for this little jewel. It is a 10' Pelican with two trolling motors on it. I have an old 41# Moto Guide and a 30# BP Prowler. After years of fishing this way two motors is the best way to go. Other wise the boat will not be in position for both people.
    Here is also how I mounted my tranducer.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 3hp johnson on my 9 footer and a 36 lb minakota on the front, rarly use the johnson but its there if I need it, try smaller outboards but just wasn't enough juice in the wind. no other modifcation except for a Big foot switch on the bow trolling motor. got two seat but never use it..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    I am with Neonmoon on not selling your little boat short. They are great for fishing the smaller places. After the big boats take over the big lake I fish I abandon my Tracker for this little jewel. It is a 10' Pelican with two trolling motors on it. I have an old 41# Moto Guide and a 30# BP Prowler. After years of fishing this way two motors is the best way to go. Other wise the boat will not be in position for both people.
    Here is also how I mounted my tranducer.

Now that's some good 'ol American ingenuity. I used to have a 10.2 Basshound: 40# MK, HB-ff with transducer mounted on motor. Man I miss that boat!! Everybody called it "The Bobber", duck hunted with it too. It was CHEAP to fish out of, I learned a lot of waters from that boat. Use a trailer if possible or something with bunks, wore some holes in mine sliding it in/out of a PU. Had a guy plastic weld some patches on which beat everything else I tried by far. Hey there's one of those flashbacks they promised, great memories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast