Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possession limit again

headhunter Guest

Default Possession limit again

Okay, in Tennessee, we need to let the TWRA what we want. I believe that there are going to be meetings to the effect of getting this changed so that possession limit does not apply to a home freezer. Anyone who is interested needs to call and speak to someone in TWRA law enforcement (615-781-6580). A game warden does HAVE to have a warrant to search your home per the the TWRA law enforcement agency. I do not believe the possession limit is strictly enforced, but it gives them another option of enforcement when they catch someone selling wild game. I believe the punishment for the selling of wild game is a felony whereas the breaking the possession limit is a misdemeanor in TN. Get on the phone and I think there is some support in the TWRA law enforcement to change this, but 2 daily limits of any species is correct by the letter of the law.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea you have there. Just wanted to correct one statement. You stated that a "game warden" had to have a warrant to search your home. A TWRA officer or other "state agent" must have a warrant, correct. But a Federal Game Warden does not need anything but "reasonable cause" to search any and everthing you own.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Always wonder how they think they can decide how many packs of fish 120 fish will make?
    AS 2 day limit my wife and I. and also a lot of other fish in there.
    So I think it would be hard for them to tell how many you have in there. Unless you have a freezer full of crappie then that would make it easy.

Just think if and this is a big if. The 30 fish per person per day weighed 2+ lbs each. Now that would make a lot of fish. And as its not in whole pieces it makes it harder. I cut mine up and have it ready for the frying pan . so theres no 60 pieces per limit.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Ok this doesn't really pertain to the subject, and I think I already know the answer. So far this year I have fished in 3 states.I plan on fishing Ky. Lake again soon, and already still have 35 fish from the last trip in my freezer. I have them labled as to what they are, and when they where caught, along with a few other species. If we don't have all these Crappie eaten before my next trip (we probably will) does that mean that I can only bring 25 more home ? Like I said, I think I know the answer, but was curious to your thoughts on this.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation According to KY possession limit law ....

Quote Originally Posted by fishn_ia
    Ok this doesn't really pertain to the subject, and I think I already know the answer. So far this year I have fished in 3 states.I plan on fishing Ky. Lake again soon, and already still have 35 fish from the last trip in my freezer. I have them labled as to what they are, and when they where caught, along with a few other species. If we don't have all these Crappie eaten before my next trip (we probably will) does that mean that I can only bring 25 more home ? Like I said, I think I know the answer, but was curious to your thoughts on this.
    You can have two daily limits, per person, in your possession, after 2 or more days in the field. There's no "freezer law" in Ky, that I know of
    This is, of course, only viable info ... if you are fishing in KY waters, with a KY resident/non-resident license. Tenn laws are different. ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Again...in Texas the home freezer does not count when talking about possession limit. It does count what you may have at your camp, motel, travel trailer, etc.

I live on a lake that has exceptions to the Texas Limit, for example Texas law for crappie limit is 25, however since this lake borders with Louisiana the limit is 50. Same with Bass...5 is state law, but this lake is 8. They had to compromise with Louisiana since both states border is in the middle of the lake and people from both states can fish both sides of the lake so they needed to have the same limit to eliminate confusion about where the fish were caught and what regulations apply.

If the home freezer did apply how would you ever have a big fish fry?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

One question? Why would you need more than 2 limits of fish in your freezer. That regulation is because of poachers, and what they do to the population of the species. The regs are for a reason, not just to keep you from loading up your freezer, to brag about. The idea of this forum, is to help you catch Crappie, when ever, and where ever, you want to. It is fairly easy for most of us to catch enough for a meal, most of the time that we go.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver
    One question? Why would you need more than 2 limits of fish in your freezer. That regulation is because of poachers, and what they do to the population of the species. The regs are for a reason, not just to keep you from loading up your freezer, to brag about. The idea of this forum, is to help you catch Crappie, when ever, and where ever, you want to. It is fairly easy for most of us to catch enough for a meal, most of the time that we go.
    I sure aint no poacher, I don't get to fish as often as I like, so I like to have a "few in the freezer" for those times when I can't go out and catch " a meal". Same reason I have 2 deer a couple of pheasants, ect. in the freezer. I only asked out of couriosity for those states that count the fish in your freezer towards your poss. limit.

Post Thanks / Like

if you read the book it says "while in the field" twra is not going to police my freezer or yours..i have none in my freezer now...but i will..god willin..have a few hundred in the freezer in the next month..and hopefully a thousand by deer season in sept...where i plan on putting another 12 atleast in another freezer...some of us eat our fish and wild game all year..and the only thing we brag about is the money we save by staying out of the meat isle in the grocery store...
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok listen up, any law enforcement officer needs a warrant to enter your house, car ect. unless they have probable cause to do so and it better be good (PC). Federal, State, Local or Sheriff's don't matter. Your civil rights are the same no matter who the law enforcement officer is.
    Here is my opinion on this subject about possession limit. I think it is silly. I'm not saying I don't think there should be a daily catch limit, but if someone wants to put fish in their freezer they should be able to. I fish almost daily on a local lake and catch several fish but I never keep more than my daily limit. When I get home I clean my catch and put them in the freezer. Sometimes we cook some for dinner and freeze the rest. My family and I camp almost every weekend when it starts warming up. We take fish and have several fish frys during the year with all our friends at the camp ground. Good times with good friends.
    So if that is illegal then I guess I shouldn't do it, B/S. I would not stop having fun with my friends because there might be a silly law that says I can only have a few bags of fish.
    Catching more than your daily limit is what I consider poaching but freezing fish to eat with friends is a good time, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    IL board Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast