Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The Green Crappie Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Green Crappie Light

Okay
    Went to Stocton and found some good timber at what we guessed was the right depth at 25 to 30 feet of water and dropped the light down and caught a few crappie. Then after about an hour of slow to no bites we moved to another batch of tree's and caught a few more. Not many and the action was not fast but some slabs. Went to Pomme the next weekend and did the same thing and did not get a single hit under the green light. Fished deep to shallaw on the brush all night long. Waiting approximately an hour to 1.5 hours. Am I not waiting long enough for the fish to come to the light or what. I've been having alot of success cathing crappie early mornings and in the evenings but I want to master the night bite. Any advice for Stocton LOZ Truman or Pomme would be very much appreciated. We have been jigging at all depths with polls out spider rig style as well. Is it rare to catch a limit of fish at night? Thanks in advance and good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience, you are waiting plenty. Typically within 30 minutes or so I have a good batch of stuff swimming around and crappie eating.

That's on a good night. On a bad night within an hour of little to no action, I should just go home. Many times I sit there and enjoy being out, but that's about it. I've done the move around thing, but I decided when it's off, it's just off. Hope you have better luck next trip.

Post Thanks / Like

An hour was always a benchmark for me. Caught lots from stockton over the years but both experiences on Pomme were a bust. Sure there's someone that catches them there but twice was enough for even this hardhead to get the message. Just my opinion on stockton, thinking you have to be bellied up next to timber is overrated. Have caught just as many on areas of no standing structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok hear goes, I have not night fished for years, but I talk to several coffee shop guys that do and they are doing real well on stockton at night, fishing along bluffs droping anchors (2) and using green and white lights. using minnows only, no trees, some arround the bridge piers at roark bluff. second pier from the south and second pier from the north and anything inbetween, also down by the power west of the H highway bridge, fish close to the brush pile (state marked) but not in the brush, also the bluff straignt west to the power line has been hot,,, that was our hot spot when I was way younger, called it collins bluff, named after charlie collins,,,he loved to fish the bluff at night,,,,

the guys have been sitting up and dropping the lights over the side and just waiting. if you fish the bluff west of the power line north end is a good spot to start, I see some guys dropping some sour mash for catfish in the area,, bound to draw some minnows.. good luck oh and I have always found the fish leave the trees at night, to many ambush spots for the bigger predetors... good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the places beagle said last year with a white lite and done good.Also at the piers at cedar ridge and at cc.Bought the 408 green lite a couple of weeks ago but haven't got to try it yet,but i'm ready.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Darker the night the better.........then you wont be in competiton with the moon
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I'm gonna use the tips and I got a couple of new spots I hope to report on soon. If there not doing that good in an hour or two I will call it a night.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have tried the moving around bit but usually within 15 minutes alot of minnows 30 min crappie if after 45 and not much action I quit like previously mentioned when its no good its no good and when it works it works great.
    Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day; teach someone to fish and you feed them for life.
    Matthew 5:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished a lot at night at stockton. In July when the water warms up, the bite will start
    later in the evening. Everything you are doing would work great in April-June, when the water
    is cooler. I used to move away from the bridge piers at cedar ridge and go down past where the
    power lines used to be, some lone trees out in the middle, don't know if they are still there
    but I used to catch a lot of crappie there in july. I don't move because some nights it takes
    a little longer for the bite to start. I usually set up one place with multiple rods and find the depth
    usually 20 feet at stockton, that the fish are biting at. Look for a creek channel and timber along side it, random timber may
    not be what you want.

Good Luck
    JOhn B.