Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about some rod advice and reviews?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How about some rod advice and reviews?

I have got to replace some rods that have got broken and wanting some reviews and advice? I have just found out the rods I had would not stand up to a boat battery being dropped on them...Doh I am wanting to buy a rod just for dockshooting and wondering about the reviews on the sharpshooters? I have never used one and wondering if anyone would give pros and cons on one? I would also like to know if it has enough back bone to pull a slab out from under a dock?

2nd rod will be just for casting a jig mostly 1/16oz and at times with a cork above it. I will be using a Pflueger reel on this rod and not sure what to buy? If it makes a difference I fish from boat most all the time. I really would like to keep it under a $100 on the casting rod. THANKS
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

A 9ft BnM Float n Fly would be a great option for jig and corks. I use mine for everything including saltwater surf and mountain trout fishing. I don't know anything about dock shooting but I did dock shoot just once using a bargain BPS microlite spinning rod from a kayak. Shot a jig 8 ft under the marina docks and caught some slabs before the harbor master chased me away.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

For jig casting in the price range you mention, I'd get a 6' one piece light or medium light fast action St. Croix Premier spinning rod. I prefer the medium light myself. They're $100 online, shipping included.

Reeds Sporting Goods: St Croix Premier Spinning Rod – PS60MLF

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For dockshooting .... IMHO - a "Sharpshooter" is a bit on the wimpy side, as it's a IM6 & has a parabolic bend. I use a ESP 5'6" ... IM6 - but has a fast action tip, & more power thru the middle (high modulus graphite). I've even been known to use my ESP 6'6" PowerLite to shoot docks with, but mostly it's my jig casting rod. Now ... I don't use corks often, but when I do, I don't try using them with my ESP rods. They have micro guides towards the tips of the blanks, and they're not suitable for most 'bobber stop' use. Doh

Like WhiskerWhipper ... I prefer a BnM Float & Fly rod, when using floats (& especially with slip floats/bobber stops). I use the 8' Duckworth model (because I fieldtested it for BnM) ... but, I do like the looks of the other model FnF outfit (& it comes in 9ft & 10ft lengths, w/longer handles). The Duckworth model is a "in hand" type of rod, with balancing weights on the butt of the handle ... and the handle is short, so it doesn't fit in a rod holder very well. The other FnF models - Tenn Handle (cork) - should be given consideration, if a rod holder would be used.

BnM Sharpshooter rod is ~ $30
    BnM Duckworth FnF rod is ~ $58
    BnM Tenn Handle FnF rod is ~ $66/9ft -- $68/10ft
    ESP 5'6" UL rod is ~ $60
    ESP 6'6" PowerLite or UL rods are ~ $70
    (prices taken off retail brand websites & do not include s/h ... other outlets may have them for a few $$ less)

(where my experience with these rods comes from:
    I field tested the Duckworth 8' FnF rod, for BnM & I field tested these ESP rods (5'6" UL - 6'6" PowerLite - 9' PowerJig) for Norsemen Outdoors.
    so they didn't cost me anything )

(FYI) I've never "used" a BnM Sharpshooter, but have held one (& checked it out).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a ESP 6' power lite this year and it shoots jigs as good or better than any rod I have used and I shoot mostly 1/32oz. ordered another right away. I use it for casting now also, but I dont use floats much and never use bobber stops.
    you cant go wrong with pflueger reels I have two arbors that I really like. I have a 5' 6" sharpshooter and it cant touch the ESP. best price I found on the ESP rods was at Sportsmans Guide $54 + $10 shipping

Post Thanks / Like

I use ProAnglers for most everything.
    Crappie Rods, Crappie Jigs, Catfish Rod, Catfish Rods, Fishing Rods

But I will suggest the new Ugly Stick Lites are some sweet rods for the same price.
    I outfitted a couple of friends with them and they are very happy.
    A $40 Rod and a $30 reel will do you well. Let the bass boys spend their big bucks on more bearings.

I like dealing with Ed for good reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Edger signature series from Ozark Rod Company, 6 ft dock shooter and 7 ft for casting. Both run about 40 dollars but feel like 100 dollars in your hand with a great uniform bend but not too flimsey. Pick one up and you'll be sold.
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

Post Thanks / Like

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    For dockshooting .... IMHO - a "Sharpshooter" is a bit on the wimpy side, as it's a IM6 & has a parabolic bend. I use a ESP 5'6" ... IM6 - but has a fast action tip, & more power thru the middle (high modulus graphite). I've even been known to use my ESP 6'6" PowerLite to shoot docks with, but mostly it's my jig casting rod. Now ... I don't use corks often, but when I do, I don't try using them with my ESP rods. They have micro guides towards the tips of the blanks, and they're not suitable for most 'bobber stop' use. Doh

Like WhiskerWhipper ... I prefer a BnM Float & Fly rod, when using floats (& especially with slip floats/bobber stops). I use the 8' Duckworth model (because I fieldtested it for BnM) ... but, I do like the looks of the other model FnF outfit (& it comes in 9ft & 10ft lengths, w/longer handles). The Duckworth model is a "in hand" type of rod, with balancing weights on the butt of the handle ... and the handle is short, so it doesn't fit in a rod holder very well. The other FnF models - Tenn Handle (cork) - should be given consideration, if a rod holder would be used.

BnM Sharpshooter rod is ~ $30
    BnM Duckworth FnF rod is ~ $58
    BnM Tenn Handle FnF rod is ~ $66/9ft -- $68/10ft
    ESP 5'6" UL rod is ~ $60
    ESP 6'6" PowerLite or UL rods are ~ $70
    (prices taken off retail brand websites & do not include s/h ... other outlets may have them for a few $$ less)

(where my experience with these rods comes from:
    I field tested the Duckworth 8' FnF rod, for BnM & I field tested these ESP rods (5'6" UL - 6'6" PowerLite - 9' PowerJig) for Norsemen Outdoors.
    so they didn't cost me anything )

(FYI) I've never "used" a BnM Sharpshooter, but have held one (& checked it out).

... cp
    Dang pappy what you got, a PHD in Rodology? parabolic bend?Hands Clapping
    Hey, catchin' fish is easy, finding thems the hard part.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by totempole View Post
    Dang pappy what you got, a PHD in Rodology? parabolic bend?Hands Clapping

Rofl .... OK, let me put it this way :

Parabolic bend - rod bends in more of a ( shape ... fairly evenly from tip to handle.
    Fast Action bend - rod bends in more of a J shape ... most bend is in the top 1/3 of the rod, with little to no bend in the remaining 2/3.

(best I can do, with the characters I have on my keyboard Doh )

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast