Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I woder

Post Thanks / Like

Default I wonder

I fish an old ox bow lake, it has been blocked off from the Mississippi River ..by levee... The lake is approximately 5 miles long and maybe 175 yards wide. The deepest hole I can find is 5 foot deep. An average of 3 to 4 foot deep. This lake has alot of giant Cyprus trees and alot of dead ones too. During spawn season, I wear the crappie out, in the range of three quarters to a pound and a half. How I catch them is on yoyo's, most of them. Sometimes I do better with a jig pole, on the yoyo's is with minnows. Then I started catching less with my pole while in the boat, then i figure what the heck, try wading, my catch started to increase some, using jigs. I know the fish are in there,but they seem to bite slow, they seem to like to watch the bait for a while before taking it. I don't have that kind of patience to wait whether or not i'm in the boat or wading. But if I put yoyo's out in the exact same spots I fish with a pole, the yoyos out do me. So I said all that to ask this question. Why do the crappie seem to bite slow? When I 'm fishing there with a pole, I know the crappie are in there like I stated earlier, put out yoyo's, I start catching them by the dozens. I'd rather catch them on my pole. It takes all day to catch my limit with a pole, with yoyo's, maybe 6 hours. This lake is full of crappie and catfish. The cats are , at most 3 pounds, good eating size. Rusty Oh last spring, around one Cyprus tree, it was about 15 foot in diameter with alot of knots sticking up around it, in 30 minutes I caught 32 crappie, in the pound range and bigger. I'd catch 8 or so then move off it and come back in 5 minutes or so, and catch the same amount. What gets me is they were all in an area of about 6 foot in diameter, and nowhere else around the tree
    Last edited by fishingpox; 11-07-2004 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught several hundred crappie before in spaces no bigger than your bathroom, I dont see how so many could fit so close together and get along, as in competing for food and such.

Post Thanks / Like

If this oxbow lake is similar to the cut off oxbow lakes, here where I live, the water tends to be very clear. The yo yo's probably do better due to the fish not seeing you or your boat nearby. If that might be the case, try making long casts and see if that helps.---Pooch

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I give up. What is a yo yo??
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Give Up

Do not feel bad first time someone told me to get some yoyos I said what does that have to do fishing. Well we used them to catch cat fish they worked good. Never tried them on crappie they are kind of like jug fishing. Check the regs there are laws you have to follow when you use them. They are a spring loaded reel that has fishing line on them you hang the from a limb and pull the line out. When a fish bites the line will retract and set the hook it will be there when you check it later. Walmart and BPS has them. Hope this helps. They come in packages of six or twelve er bouts.
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Default glad you ask

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    OK, I give up. What is a yo yo??
    I am glad you ask. I wanted to but thought I would sound dumb doing it, thought I was the only one not knowing what they were talking about. Now I know. Thank you
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSH you are probably the smart one in asking. i had seen them at BPS or would not have known. Bet a lot of folks were wondering the same thing but afraid to ask.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default yo-yos

better check your state laws, they are illegal in some states
    whiplash
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down YOYO's should be outlawed!!!

I can't tell you the times I have come across these "non-fishin" devices with crappie hung out to dry. They are illegal in a lot of states. Get a pole and really fish. O, by the way, I'm not fond of 'spider-rigging' either. Looks like a 'mobil' trot-line. Feel the bite, set the hook. Get smarter about fishing, keep it a SPORT!!!!! Of course, this is just my opinion. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Oxbows

Hey there Fishingpox:

I understand completely your frustration when fishing oxbow lakes. I have fished Tunica Cutoff in MS several times and the changing water level in that lake is always an issue. A fast fall or rise will shut them down. But if you hit it right you can max out a limit of 50 in a hurry.

There I always tightline a jig in the willows and often it is very difficult to put a pattern together and it always seems that a slow bit is part of the equation. Once, I had to hold as still as possible for nearly a minute before getting a bite. Talking about sore and wore out by the time I got home.

Might try this. After you find that honey hole for that day's trip, anchor or tie off and then try using a fixed or slip float to control your depth then lay the rod(s) in a rodholer. That way you can fish multiple rods and not have to hold for so long.

Also, shallow, clear water will make them leary. Watch where your shadow is being cast into the water. Sometimes the shadow will give them lock jaw and other times they congregate in the darkness you're creating. Just got to try it both ways to see what they want. Use extra long rods if you can. Some manufacturers are now making 3-piece graphites up to 16 foot. This will get your bait away from the boat and help with the spooking issue. If space is an issue where you can't lift such a long rod over your head to land a fish, use an extra long collapsible rod pulling the fish straight back as you land it.

Just some thoughts. I wouldn't be afraid to experiment. I understand, Yo-yo's are fun, especially when you hear that spring go off, but it still doesn't beat fighting and landing it yourself with a rod.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]