Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hook sizes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook sizes?

Would like to hear from you other Crappie fishing people.

When using minnows what type and size hooks do you like most?

Blood Red, Black, Gold, Bronze???
    Bait holder? Aberdeen? Lite Wire? Extra Lite Wire?
    What size? #6's, 4's maybe 2's?

Tell us
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Number 6, Eagle Claw, light wire, aberdeen cricket hook.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely use just a hook, but when I do I use #1 gold aberdeen hooks. I seem to catch fewer tater chips using them. Usually if I don't use a jig, I'll use just a white jig head with a minnow. I've had a lot of luck with this in our cyprus stained waters.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

For minnows #4 eagle claw shortshank or a jig head of various hook sizes to get the weight that I want.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm bobber fishing or tightlining a minnow I like #2 gold Aberdeen. If I'm casting and retrieving a jig tipped with minnow, I like a 1/0 hook on my jighead so I have room for the tube and the minnow. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Bobbi

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    If I'm bobber fishing or tightlining a minnow I like #2 gold Aberdeen. If I'm casting and retrieving a jig tipped with minnow, I like a 1/0 hook on my jighead so I have room for the tube and the minnow. - Roberta

I make it simple. I use 1/32, 1/24 & 1/16 all with #4 gold hooks. I have all my jigs made by Teezur. I really like them and especially the 1/32. It's hard to find 1/32 with #4 hooks. If you would like email me & I will send you a few.

Have a nice day & "try" to keep Doug straight...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Does TeeZur make the jigs with the hook size you specify?

If I got some of those jigs it would be the 3/32oz size but I don't know what hook size I would prefer.

I use the Renegage jig heads that come from Wal-mart. The hook is gold and is pretty strong.

For live bait fishing I have a bunch of #2 Gold Eagle Class light wire hooks that I use. I fished with some medium sized (2" long) shiners yesterday and also used plain jigs. I caught more fish on jigs that I did on minnows yesterday. Some days are like that. I do feel that once I find the fish and they are biting that using a jig helps me fish faster and catch more fish in less time. I don't have to rebait each time. Adding the crappie nibble at times slows me down but a lot of the times the crappie nibbles don't come off the hook when I catch a fish and I can just throw the jig back into the brush pile and catch another fish right away. Yesterday there was a lull while fishing the deep water so I picked up a ultralight rod /reel with 4lb test Trilene XL spooled on it and one of the Frank Ison slip bobber setups with the Squirmin Squirt White Lighting jig. I set the deth for about 4 feet and saw some stickups just under the water's surface in about 7 ft of water. I put the jig and bobber by that brush and wam the bobber went under immediately. I caught a 9.5" long white crappie at high noon in only 7ft of stained water by a brush pile or stickup. I think it's a flooded young will tree. Anyway I put the jig back in that brush pile and wam I had another 9" Long white crappie. Then a third time the bobber went under as soon as it hit the water and the jig has slipped down to where the bobber stop hit the bobber. Right at 4ft and wam the bobber went under for a second time. I missed the fish both times and threw the jig back into the same spot. Wam again the bobber when under and I saw the fish as it rose to the surface and flashed his side to the sunlight. That fish got off and I again put the jig back in the same spot and finally I caught the last fish. Another nice 9" fish. Then I made the mistake and started up the trolling motor and went into the wind and dropped anchor. I lost the spot and the fish were gone. The noise must have spooked them back out to the drop off. I caught a few more fish out on the drop where they were hanging about 12ft to 26ft down in the submerged tree. I broght home 17 fish and had a job fileting them last night on the back porch. But I enjoy cleaning fish so it was not a chore. The fish guts and heads were buried in my back yard garden. They make excellent worm food and fertilizer for next years crop.

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    I make it simple. I use 1/32, 1/24 & 1/16 all with #4 gold hooks. I have all my jigs made by Teezur. I really like them and especially the 1/32. It's hard to find 1/32 with #4 hooks. If you would like email me & I will send you a few.

Have a nice day & "try" to keep Doug straight...
    Regards,

Moose1am

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hey Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Does TeeZur make the jigs with the hook size you specify?

If I got some of those jigs it would be the 3/32oz size but I don't know what hook size I would prefer.

I use the Renegage jig heads that come from Wal-mart. The hook is gold and is pretty strong.

For live bait fishing I have a bunch of #2 Gold Eagle Class light wire hooks that I use. I fished with some medium sized (2" long) shiners yesterday and also used plain jigs. I caught more fish on jigs that I did on minnows yesterday. Some days are like that. I do feel that once I find the fish and they are biting that using a jig helps me fish faster and catch more fish in less time. I don't have to rebait each time. Adding the crappie nibble at times slows me down but a lot of the times the crappie nibbles don't come off the hook when I catch a fish and I can just throw the jig back into the brush pile and catch another fish right away. Yesterday there was a lull while fishing the deep water so I picked up a ultralight rod /reel with 4lb test Trilene XL spooled on it and one of the Frank Ison slip bobber setups with the Squirmin Squirt White Lighting jig. I set the deth for about 4 feet and saw some stickups just under the water's surface in about 7 ft of water. I put the jig and bobber by that brush and wam the bobber went under immediately. I caught a 9.5" long white crappie at high noon in only 7ft of stained water by a brush pile or stickup. I think it's a flooded young will tree. Anyway I put the jig back in that brush pile and wam I had another 9" Long white crappie. Then a third time the bobber went under as soon as it hit the water and the jig has slipped down to where the bobber stop hit the bobber. Right at 4ft and wam the bobber went under for a second time. I missed the fish both times and threw the jig back into the same spot. Wam again the bobber when under and I saw the fish as it rose to the surface and flashed his side to the sunlight. That fish got off and I again put the jig back in the same spot and finally I caught the last fish. Another nice 9" fish. Then I made the mistake and started up the trolling motor and went into the wind and dropped anchor. I lost the spot and the fish were gone. The noise must have spooked them back out to the drop off. I caught a few more fish out on the drop where they were hanging about 12ft to 26ft down in the submerged tree. I broght home 17 fish and had a job fileting them last night on the back porch. But I enjoy cleaning fish so it was not a chore. The fish guts and heads were buried in my back yard garden. They make excellent worm food and fertilizer for next years crop.

Teezur will make the jigs the way you want them..Great people to deal with...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow When using minnows ....

Most of the time I use a #1 Eagle Claw light wire bronze .... but, I've been known to use everything from #8 baitholder hooks to 2/0 gold aberdeen, kahle hooks of various sizes, and my jigheads. :D Usually it depends on the size of the minnows I have, as to what size hook I use ... but, occasionally it depends on what size Crappie I am likely to encounter. I'll use the jigheads (weedless) when they're taking minnows better than tube jigs - but, have moved down into the cover....or I'm drifting over an area with lots of submerged timber. .................cp