Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Louis Area

Post Thanks / Like

Default St. Louis Area

Just moved from South Florida, any good Crappie lakes around St. Louis area?

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the area. The closest lake with decent crappie is Mark Twain Lake- about 1.5 to 2 hours north, depending on where you live in the St. L. area. Truman is excellent as well and is a Corps of Engineers lake as well. Folks fish Lake of the Ozarks, but I haven't in many years, but the crappie fishing is good there also- the summer traffic on the lake is a killer though. I've heard of some folks catching crappie in some of the sloughs of the Mississippi River, but I haven't tried that myself either. Fall crappie fishing is usually pretty good at Twain.

Post Thanks / Like

Head on over to the Illinois side. Carlyle, Kincade, Rend, Crab Orchard. Watch the Illinois board, lots of good fish bein caught. GO CARDINALS!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know your preference's but there are great lakes in Missouri and Illinois, depending on how many fish you would like to keep and their size. Missouri has in most part has a 15 fish daily limit and some lakes also carry a length limit, I myself would stay away from Lake of the Ozarks mainly because of pleasure boaters,( lake gets rough). Illinois has some great ones also, but you have to watch for their creel limit and size limit, one in particular is Rend Lake, has a 25 fish limit, but you can only keep 10 fish over 10" and the rest have to be less than 10" ( I would check on this just to make sure ) Then there's Kinkaid Lake just 90 miles south of St.louis, If you check out Illinois board you will find a person called Kyle Schoenherr, he talks about catching 2lb+ crappie in Kinkaid, and I've heard of 3lb crappie coming from there also.
    It really doesn't matter where you go, there are good lakes all around, you just have to learn how to fish them and CDC is one of the best places to start, members on here will try and help you the best they can, some of the best people out there.Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site,, lots of good info on here for sure,,, good luck
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody for the great info!

Post Thanks / Like

There is Horseshoe Lake in IL right over the boarder of missouri into IL its like 16 miles from florissant take 111 right off 270 down on theright about 5 miles there are some good ones in there. some days are great others a miss! very shallow lake though could nearly walk across the entire lake but lots of crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Coffeen lake and Sangchris are power plant lakes that have 25hp limit..Both are great crappie lakes....Also, Lou Yeager in Litchfield,Illinois is a hot crappie lake...North on 55...

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got alot of good info right out of the gate, good luck.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know much around St Louis but welcome to the site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast