PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Area

oklasooners69
07-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Just moved from South Florida, any good Crappie lakes around St. Louis area?

Terry

TwainGang
07-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the area. The closest lake with decent crappie is Mark Twain Lake- about 1.5 to 2 hours north, depending on where you live in the St. L. area. Truman is excellent as well and is a Corps of Engineers lake as well. Folks fish Lake of the Ozarks, but I haven't in many years, but the crappie fishing is good there also- the summer traffic on the lake is a killer though. I've heard of some folks catching crappie in some of the sloughs of the Mississippi River, but I haven't tried that myself either. Fall crappie fishing is usually pretty good at Twain.

lhumphre
07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Head on over to the Illinois side. Carlyle, Kincade, Rend, Crab Orchard. Watch the Illinois board, lots of good fish bein caught. GO CARDINALS!

mongo82
07-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Don't know your preference's but there are great lakes in Missouri and Illinois, depending on how many fish you would like to keep and their size. Missouri has in most part has a 15 fish daily limit and some lakes also carry a length limit, I myself would stay away from Lake of the Ozarks mainly because of pleasure boaters,( lake gets rough). Illinois has some great ones also, but you have to watch for their creel limit and size limit, one in particular is Rend Lake, has a 25 fish limit, but you can only keep 10 fish over 10" and the rest have to be less than 10" ( I would check on this just to make sure ) Then there's Kinkaid Lake just 90 miles south of St.louis, If you check out Illinois board you will find a person called Kyle Schoenherr, he talks about catching 2lb+ crappie in Kinkaid, and I've heard of 3lb crappie coming from there also.
It really doesn't matter where you go, there are good lakes all around, you just have to learn how to fish them and CDC is one of the best places to start, members on here will try and help you the best they can, some of the best people out there.Thumbs Up

old fuzzy
07-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Welcome to the site,, lots of good info on here for sure,,, good luck

oklasooners69
07-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks everybody for the great info!

mechanicworkman
08-07-2011, 08:31 AM
There is Horseshoe Lake in IL right over the boarder of missouri into IL its like 16 miles from florissant take 111 right off 270 down on theright about 5 miles there are some good ones in there. some days are great others a miss! very shallow lake though could nearly walk across the entire lake but lots of crappie!

jcd
08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Coffeen lake and Sangchris are power plant lakes that have 25hp limit..Both are great crappie lakes....Also, Lou Yeager in Litchfield,Illinois is a hot crappie lake...North on 55...

Jeremy

Double D
08-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you got alot of good info right out of the gate, good luck.

crappiedave55
08-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Don't know much around St Louis but welcome to the site.

neosmatrix
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Dont know about the IL lakes and some of the others mentioned. No one has mentioned Busch wildlife in St. Charles County.
S

mechanicworkman
08-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Dont know about the IL lakes and some of the others mentioned. No one has mentioned Busch wildlife in St. Charles County.
S

Bush Wildlife has some good fish in there but there are many many smaller ones and the pressure is heavy not that there are many lakes other than priveate ones that dont see alot of fishermen but none the less. I have caught many fish at bush over the years but most of which the overall crappie seem to be getting fewer and fewer ever time I go.

mechanicworkman
08-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Don't know your preference's but there are great lakes in Missouri and Illinois, depending on how many fish you would like to keep and their size. Missouri has in most part has a 15 fish daily limit and some lakes also carry a length limit, I myself would stay away from Lake of the Ozarks mainly because of pleasure boaters,( lake gets rough). Illinois has some great ones also, but you have to watch for their creel limit and size limit, one in particular is Rend Lake, has a 25 fish limit, but you can only keep 10 fish over 10" and the rest have to be less than 10" ( I would check on this just to make sure ) Then there's Kinkaid Lake just 90 miles south of St.louis, If you check out Illinois board you will find a person called Kyle Schoenherr, he talks about catching 2lb+ crappie in Kinkaid, and I've heard of 3lb crappie coming from there also.
It really doesn't matter where you go, there are good lakes all around, you just have to learn how to fish them and CDC is one of the best places to start, members on here will try and help you the best they can, some of the best people out there.Thumbs Up

For those people that have a gas motor missouri is very limiting and I as well find IL to be more open to gas motors. My boat is only a 14ft flat bottom I have found that even in coffine the lake can be very hairy at times when the wind is kicking! But other times Its great! Coffine is a geat lake but its a ways away and requires almost a whole day trip to make the trip worthwile! I have found that coffine is a Awsome bass lake and Crappie are not far behind there either if you hit the right spots!