Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: cricket tip

Post Thanks / Like

Default cricket tip

Ok. i have read quite a few posts on here about cricket users, and here is a tip I'm sure few here have heard before.

If your looking for a good way to preserve live crickets and not have to freeze them so to have them fall apart on the water. This is a tip I learned from one of my professors at school. His specialty of study is insects and his trick to mark his bugs for study is bar none a worth while way to go to keep them alive for months. Here is what you do. Set your Fridge to 30 F. Now, the next step is way easier to do, put your crickets, mealworms and what have you into the fridge. you can use containers to put your insects in as well with a little bedding underneath them, like shredded newspaper, for insulation. The cool temperature puts your crickets into a deep hibernation-like state, slows down their metabolism and allows them to last for a month or more in this stasis. Now, when you need them for your day, scoop out what you need, and go. And no worries, they will become more active and hopping around in a few minutes as they warm up. This works for a great many insects, but it works better on species that live in an area that experiences a winter.

Now, I would suggest testing this out for yourselves on a small scale. This way, if it turns out to be something you don't want to do you do not have to continue with it. I for one do this with june bugs, my brother finds it creepy when they 'come back to life.'

Post Thanks / Like

Should work in NC.
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---WHEN I CAN FISH AND CATCH:D