Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nitrogen

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Nitrogen

Has anyone experimented with Nitrogen in trailer tires? My wife's new car and  my new truck both have nitrogen in the tires. They say nitrogen doesn't heat up like air and won't migrate through rubber. My truck has pressure monitors in each wheel. After several hours on the Interstate, there is only one (1) PSI increase in pressure in each tire. I like that characteristic. Should work the same in trailer tires. When I get my boat finished I'm going to try nitrogen. Might work. Might not. Worth a try, though.

Post Thanks / Like

if it had been pure nitrogen it wouldn't have move a peg. it is supposed to stay the same pressure hot or cold. if your boat is heavy it might be worth the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a scam. The air we breathe is 80% nitrogen. What causes pressure changes isn't the gas, but the moisture in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catfan View Post
    it's a scam. The air we breathe is 80% nitrogen. What causes pressure changes isn't the gas, but the moisture in it.
    x2
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure increases due to heat. Pure nitrogen will act very much like air. Heat it up and the pressure goes up. Water vapor does the same. Only benefit from pure nitrogen is the lack of the 21% oxygen in air. Oxygen tends to react with rubber compounds over an extended time and will cause tire to deteriorate. Happens both inside and outside an aired tire.
    I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the missile business for 30 years and I used it...but I paid nothing for it....now I don't use it as I am retired and it would cost me. There is another benefit from using nitrogen in tires...it leaks out at a much slower rate because the molecules are bigger in nitrogen than molecules in air. But to me that is not a feasible use per cost. Unless you plan on landing the space shuttle and don't want to blow some tires I think you are just wasting money...but each to their own.

Regards