Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up smithville

Headed to smithville tomorrow.Trying for walleye this trip. I will post when i get in.

Post Thanks / Like

good luck! have you ever tried the larger jigs that have a little propellor type thing on them directly underneath the head? i don't mean like a roadrunner, it has a prop in line with hook at the top, they are predominantly for walleye and sauger. i bought some recently and haven't tried them yet, they look good.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Stinkbait- I fish Smithville alot (only live 5 minutes from lake) Walleye have been getting pretty active the last 2 weeks. My son and I went friday night and caught 7 in about 20 minutes then they just shut off and we only caught one more in two hours! One that went 6 1/2 pounds!! They have been active in the day but they are deeper during the day of course - been catching them during the daylight in 15-20 feet of water and at night (1 am til daylight) in 5-10 feet of water. During the day the bite is soft so make sure to be a line watcher! Good Luck to ya!

Crappie are starting to move a bit too, water temps around 44 degrees on Sunday so a few warm days will warm that water up a bit and then we will have to decide to go after crappie or walleye, man the decisions a fella has to make in life!

I should be out there again tomorrow we will see what the wife has in store for me! But then again if i get out early enough, while she is in bed then I can plead innocent!!! I love it when a plan comes together.
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

fyi

They will be shocking the eyes along the dam this tue and thur and next tue and thur. think Jake is starting about 9 P.M.

Post Thanks / Like

My name's Jake and I'm the guy that keeps running the shock boat along the dam at Smithville. I wanted to let everyone know the schedule for this year in case you want to avoid the nights I'm there. It's not necessary to stay away though. I've tagged fish before and had them caught before I could get off the water. It will slow the fishing down for an hour or so, but by midnight the fishing will be good again.

I plan on being at the dam on Tuesdays and Thursdays the next two weeks. I'll get there about 8pm and ease along the dam and visit with each person there before I get started. I feel like it's just good manners before I start up the generator. It's usually 9:30 before I get started and I'll start at the end of the dam that's downwind. It's easier to handle the boat into the wind. We will probably need to stop at least once to measure fish and maybe twice. So if you get upwind, It'll be late before I get there.

A little prediction on how things might go... We stocked almost 2x the requested numer of walleye in 2004 due to us getting shorted in 2002 and having a surplus. These fish will be on the dam this year, at least the males will be, and they will be 14 to 15 inches long. Be sure to take a ruler this year to measure your fish. Normally you don't have to worry about that at Smithville. They are usually well over the size limit or well under. There should be a lot of them right at the limit this year. Our population continues to expand and I am expecting a really good season.

I hope everyone's season goes well and I'll try and be as unobstructive as possible. I really need a minimum of four trips to collect the data I need to monitor the population and continue to justify our allotment of walleye from our hatcheries.

Once again the dates for my sampling are: Tuesday, March 28th, Thursday, March 30th, Tuesday April 4th and Thursday, April 6th. Of course weather can change the best laid plans. If there are changes, I will try and post them here as soon as possible.

Good luck and great fishing. I wish I could be out there fishing with you on my off nights, but knee surgery in November is keeping me from climbing the rocks this year. Oh well someone else can have my limit this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down smithville

Went this morning,came up empty.Fished the dam from4till7.All the fish seemed to in 30ft of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info Jake. Hope you can keep stocking walleyes in Smithville so the population will keep going up. I didn't realize Smithville is a good walleye lake until reading the posts here. Any advice on how to catch them on Smithville? Jigs? Jerkbaits?

Post Thanks / Like

I may have to make the trip to Smithville sometime this week, if nothing else than to watch the shocking boat...that is some fun stuff. I watched the guys down at Bull Shoals a few times when I was in college, and saw lots of big fish.

Fished the dam at Mozingo, from 7pm to Midnight last night, and got nothing as far as walleye go. Threw rogues and assorted cranks. Did catch 18 crappie from 5-6pm though. So not a total loss.
    Missouri-Fishing.com! Total Fishing Resource for Missouri Anglers!

Post Thanks / Like

What is wrong with your website David? I can't log on anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW,I'm not jake,I cut/pasted that from another unnamed site.He definitley will be there tonight starting about 7:30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast