Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just Getting Started

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Getting Started

Hey Guys,
    Im gonna be honest I have never caught a striper before but I am really interested is possibly trying it out, I am an avid largemouth bass and crappie angler i was wondering if yall could give me a few ideas as far as technique and gear goes, I fish from a 14 ft canoe so I am limited on gear and space any help yall could give me would be appreciated.
    thanks
    -AJ

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling umbrella ris is the best for big stripers but isn't feasible in a coanoe so live bait fishing is your best bet.
    Finding the stripers is the hard part as they are wide ranging fish that will travel miles each day.
    You need to catch live shad for bait. That is best done with a cast net in the bck of bays or up creeks. It will nigh impossible throwing a cast net from a sitting position in a canoe, so I hope you have a great sense of balance. Or you can buy the bait.
    The fish usuall hang on the edge of river channels or over deep wateras they liek cooler water. drop your bait down 15 ft and drift around over the stripes and hope one hits your bait. Use strong line as there are some brutes out there. If you hook into a 20 lb'er in your canoe, I can guarantee you a fun ride. Best of luck to you.
    You didn't say your location?

Post Thanks / Like

I will be fishin jordan lake, I see fish and bait jumping all the time even during the middle of the day, what I might try to do is catch bait in my cast net first and then get in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

You can just catch bluegills first and then using them as bait,
    dangle them over the side a couple feet above where the fish are hanging out at. Usually 12-14 ft is a good starting depth to fish. You want to be above the fish, not below them.

Post Thanks / Like

You are in for a treat when you hook into a good one. Good luck.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

Please describe what a Trolling umbrella is.

Fichere

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can learn the basics here YouTube - ‪Umbrella Rig Basics‬‏
    I sell and make Umbrella Rigs but they are not on my website at this time. My website is Extreme Fishing Concepts You will have to call us to ask about or order them. 336-249-6782
    Try them out.

Post Thanks / Like

that canoe is going to be pulled around everywhere if you hook a nice one!!!!