Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Havin issues with my 2.5 hp on a Coleman Scanoe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Havin issues with my 2.5 hp on a Coleman Scanoe

Hey havin a few issues with my new 14ft (square stern)coleman scanoe I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out. Last week I tryed
    out a merc 2.5 on the back of it and found that when running the motor full power the back end of the boat would take on water even with my
    200lb brother sitting in the front, at half speed the boat is fine but the motor always cuts off after a few minutes. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just a combination of too much motor for the boat and a crappy outboard?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need to distribute the weight more. How heavy is the motor and do you have it set at the right height?? 2.5 hp is not that heavy unless it's a real old motor that was made like a tank. the newer one's are mostly plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a heavy duty trolling motor and battery or get brother to buy you guys a 16ft. boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Post Thanks / Like

Was the vent open on the gas tank, needs to open when running. Also check your bulb and hose, if they are collapsing then time to change them out.

It almost sounds like you don't have the motor mounted down, ie motor is at an angle and is pushing down on the back of the boat, rather than pushing boat forward.