Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yak Vs Canoe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yak Vs Canoe?

Looking for something to fish small rivers and lakes. But not sure wich one to get. I think the main thing for me is to be able to stand in it and fish. Any suggestions?

Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, that's a hard question to answer. All three, sit on top kayaks, sit inside kayaks and canoes can be hard to stand and fish from. Some are a lot better than others. It's hard to find any one to be the best for every style of fishing. I have a sit on top Hobie Outback that has the pedals. It is perfect for the style of fishing I do, or at least 95% of what I do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these that I bought to carry in the motor home. I've aired it up a couple times in the driveway but haven't had it on the water.
    FoldCat Inflatable Catamaran

Post Thanks / Like

I assume a jonboat is out of the question?

If storage and towing/carrying is an issue, you might want to look into some inflatables as there are some very nice ones available for decent prices nowadays. I can stand in my whitewater duckie easier than a canoe or yak, but It is still a little dicey.... I have no problem at all standing on this raft I picked up several weeks ago at a yard sale and it has served me well so far (you can see my duckie in the pic as well). Both are very stable and have 750lb/880lb capacity respectively....

If you are dead set on a canoe or hard yak, I'd say a wide beamed canoe is for you if you want any chance of standing, although it is probably not suggested.....on the other hand sit on top yaks offer alot of versatility for an angler and you don't feel so confined.
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    I have one of these that I bought to carry in the motor home. I've aired it up a couple times in the driveway but haven't had it on the water.
    FoldCat Inflatable Catamaran

Man you gotta get that thing out...I love my seaeagle explorer 380x!
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...they claim the native watercraft you can stand out of, but I don't think I'd invest too much stock in it doing what you want. You may have just as much luck with a surfboard.

Maybe a canoe with outriggers?

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the Jackson Coosa Kayak... Feel Free Moken 10 Angler....Both of these are very comfortable to fish out of..easy to transport...very stable...the Moken 10 Angler is probably the most stable kayak on the market. You can stand in both of them and site fish.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

If I bought a kayak to just fish rivers it would be the coosa and it may be a good small lake kayak also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mb4850 View Post
    If I bought a kayak to just fish rivers it would be the coosa and it may be a good small lake kayak also.
    I have tested them all and for me the Coosa is the best there is for a combination of rivers and lakes. I Trout fish too so while the Hobie's are nice I don't think they go over shoals too well. I am in the process of moving or I would already have my Cossa. I live up 49 steps and had to get on one level. I have the car rack...paddle...dry bags...dry boxs......PFD....locking cable to prevent theft from the car rack...LOL. In short all I need is THE kayak. I am moving to a cottage and have a rack that my kayak will sit on in a spare room and all my fishing equipment will be in there also. I can hardly wait..it is going to be a very nice change for me. I even already have the dog leash with drag chain in the inner tube. I will trick this thing out with the best sonar/fish finder I can afford. While I am not old but turning 60 this year just can't walk the miles of shore line like I did last spring and I have realized just how much fishing territory I am missing.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I fished from canoes for years and enjoyed them but about two years ago switched to a Native Watercraft U12 and it is much more stable and comfortable for small waters. They tout that you can stand and fish in it but that's not for me. At my age I have enough trouble balancing and walking around in my Lund 1725.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast