Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smallmouths at Halleck pond again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smallmouths at Halleck pond again.

I don't know how deep Halleck pond gets, but its seems rather shallow any where you fish. Today i was on the northeast side of the lake, it appears to be the deepest part. I first started out with my rendition of the Texas rig, pretty much a hook, pegged bullet weight and a plastic craw. After lightly jigging it up and down along the bank and not getting anything, i switched to the deep crankbaits on the baitcaster. The only thing that really caught was a bunch of weeds and brush. So i sat there for a little bit thinking of what to put on next, and i went back to the rig, but switched it out with a worm instead. Thats when i landed my first smallmouth, not large enough to keep, but a decent size nevertheless. I caught 2 more after that and then i caught a bunch of little perch. Funny thing about the perch, they weren't hooked. They would bite the end of the worm and never get hooked, but they would not let go of the end of the worm until i brought them out of the water.

I thought about adding a trailer hook to the plastic, but i don't know how i would go about doing that. I thought about just putting a hook at the end of the worm, but realized if a fish did get hooked on, it would pull the hook right through the plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Several ways to add a stinger hook to a worm. Using a stinger hook with a treble hook or tie a piece of line to a hook, then figure how long you need it and then tie it to the main hook Then you just hook it in the back of the worm towards the tail. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Halleck is about 10-12 ft over all the pond except for 2 spots where the 2 fishing piers going out towards the water on the East side of the Pond and on the North and South sides of the pond and are about 20 ft deep in those two areas. They dug those down for the trout that they stock in there. They are out by the arieators that are in there. EB

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. My worm bait must not have been hitting the bottom then. More than likely just landing on top of the weeds or cover and the smallies were hitting it as I dragged it along the top. I need to get a heavier weight then.Definitely can't crankbait that water. you going fishing Thursday or Friday EB?

Post Thanks / Like

Got family coming in from SD. today. It depends on how long they stay. Will talk to you later after I find out. EB

Post Thanks / Like

If you got family coming in for the holiday weekend, I wouldn't want to disrupt any plans you have for them. I know for a fact that I will be going out to Summit Lake next week, if that interests you.