Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: summersville lake

Post Thanks / Like

Question summersville lake

Hey everyone,I live in ohio east of columbus and I'm coming down july 3-9. I really want to get into some crappie, I've been to the lake once but only bass fished. Since it is so deep will spider rigging coves and banks be the ticket or would shooting some pontoons work better? I need all the help I can get.Thanks in advance,KyleHigh Point TaxidermyCrappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Id say shoot the toons.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks,If I'm correct ain't there a marina or two on the main lake part?Is there any areas that have boat docks besides marinas??KyleHPTCP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWaller View Post
    thanks,If I'm correct ain't there a marina or two on the main lake part?Is there any areas that have boat docks besides marinas??KyleHPTCP
    The Marina up the "long Point" area (long finger North of the Dam) is where the only docks are I can think of. In the battle run area (finger to the west of the dam) there are some fish attractors.

Probably not the best time of year for it but sometimes you can go up into Hominy, Gauley or the Muddelety tributaries and get into something. I'd say MAYBE up the Gauley alittle under some cover and the west point off of Hominy might hold some Crappie right now....
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

So in the tributaries you mean structure on the shore or sunken structure? And would u fish the shores with bobber and jigs or what's your style? See I live on buckeye lake ohio and the deepest spots 20 feet so I can catch them all year with bobber anf jig and shootin toons.ThanksKyleHPTCP

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I don't fish summersville much as it is so deep, clear and huge compared to our other lakes that it makes it a pain to kayak fish or bank fish....most of ours are about 20 ft +/- maximum depth as well.

In the tribs, most of the structure will be along the banks, and being shallower water, they might hold to those spots shaded by low hanging /downed trees with a little more depth in the water. So finding a good medium between structure,shade and water depth will be key in those areas. In the Gauley there will be alot of rock on the bottom, but you would probably have to go all the way up towards the persinger creek boat access before it gets exposed (i.e. not silted over).

In the lake I fished last week not too far from S'ville, the crappie were post-spawn and all holding on points at about 7 feet in 9 feet of water and they may hold a little deeper at S'ville since they can. The battlerun area has lots of fish attractors, click here for locations. It is also the shallowest part of the lake and has the most coves/points....definitely the best area for fish habitat.

Tightlining jigs/jigging are my go to presentations when they go deep, often with a marabou jig with chartruese on it somewhere. But if you are comfortable fishing with jig n' bobber, I say go for it.

All this talk about S'ville and I realized I haven't been in awhile. I might just take the boat out there Friday to fish and swim a little myself.

Good luck!
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

So do you mean the crappie will be best where the rock is covered or uncovered? And please report on how you do if you go Friday.KyleHPTCP

Post Thanks / Like

uncovered rock....right now they are probably out of spawn and sticking to cover (rock)

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, have you ever shot the toons at the marina before?KyleHPTCP

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, what is an average size crappie for summersville in length?KyleHPTCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast