Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt on Jigs??? Good or Bad

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salt on Jigs??? Good or Bad

I am new to using jigs and have a few questions.

I have seen some of the jigs that appear to have salt on them. Is this an attractant of some sort?

Some jigs don't appear to have oil on them. Do they need to?

Does it work OK just to put fish attractant oil on the jig bodies?

Post Thanks / Like

what does salt do when put in water it is gone gone

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

You want oily jigs? Just dip them in sardine juice.

Post Thanks / Like

Salt is added during the proccess of making the jigs to make them heaver on some baits.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I spray cod liver oil on my jigs. I believe it will stay better than salt will.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Imho ......

Quote Originally Posted by hogpaw

I have seen some of the jigs that appear to have salt on them. Is this an attractant of some sort?

Salt "impregnated" plastics are supposed to taste like live creatures ... so, yes - the salt IS an attractant "of some sort". Adding salt to plastics (in a bag) will probably not do much ... as the salt would wash away upon contact with the water.

Not all plastics have oil on them ... and they don't need oil, necessarily. The oils are usually found in bags of plastic bodies, and are there to keep the plastic bodies from sticking together. Scented oils may be added, by mfg or angler, to add an attractant quality to the bait. These may be "cooked" into the plastic, itself ... or just added to the outside (or packed in it).

Adding attractants to the jig is personal preferrence ... and the results vary.

................. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hogpaw

Baitfish and other aquatic animals have a high salt content, hence the use of salt on plastic baits. And you would be surprized how long salt stays on a bait (with oil base), after being immersed in water.

I'm a big believer in scents on plastic baits, not only as a attractant, but as a masking agent. I like the natural scent attractant made by Pro-Cure (www.pro-cure.com). For crappie here in California, I use their threadfin shad and minnow scents. Made from real baitfish. Dave.
    Last edited by sunfish; 03-26-2006 at 09:06 AM.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Redtick

I Tried Using Cod-liver Oil [per Jerry Blake] Anyone That Posts Pic. Like Him Can,t Be All Wrong [ha]
    I Got Some On My Hands And It Really Ate At The Comp. Handles---guess I,m Too Clumbsy To Fish Right [haha]
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Salt "impregnated" plastics are supposed to taste like live creatures ... so, yes - the salt IS an attractant "of some sort". Adding salt to plastics (in a bag) will probably not do much ... as the salt would wash away upon contact with the water.

Not all plastics have oil on them ... and they don't need oil, necessarily. The oils are usually found in bags of plastic bodies, and are there to keep the plastic bodies from sticking together. Scented oils may be added, by mfg or angler, to add an attractant quality to the bait. These may be "cooked" into the plastic, itself ... or just added to the outside (or packed in it).

Adding attractants to the jig is personal preferrence ... and the results vary.

................. cp
    I agree with your view of the subject. I use oil (fish attractant) in my sack of tubes. I figure it can't hurt the bite and might help sometimes. Mostly because it helps slide tube onto leadhead. I use 1/8 oz leadhead inserted into umbrella tube. Without extra lube on them it's hard to insert without damage'n tube.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stay away from jigs that has salt on em. i had some in my jig box and the salt ruined all my jig heads. you dont need salt. its just something somebodys come up with trying to sell more jigs by convincing people salt makes em better. salt is a no-no for a freshwater tackle box....
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast