Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with fishing buoys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trouble with fishing buoys

This year I've had more trouble with fishing buoys than ever before. It seems like half time they don't want to unwind or they get hung up about halfway down. I know most of the companies that make these try to get by with as little weight as possible.

I've tried adding weight by using a 2 oz. sinker in addition to the weight already on there. It still wouldn't hold so I added an additional 3 oz. sinker to that which should come to about 6 ounces.

You would think that would do it and sometimes it does. Usually when I tried that the marker would disappear in the water and wouldn't come back up until about 30 seconds later if I was in really deep water. (25-30' or so ) Sometimes in would hang up and wouldn't come up at all and I've seen some come back up 15-20 minutes later which can be really frustrating as when it finally does come up, it shows the next guy where your spot is.

I know this happens a lot because of the line they use wants to tangle up. I've tried switching it out and used 65 lb. test braid but still have the problem.

If anyone has a solution or knows somebody that sells a good fishing buoy please let me know. I've probably lost 5-6 buoys this spring. Been buying most of mine from Bass Pro or Walmart. As you can tell, I've been getting more than a little frustrated with this.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with these and I've never had any problem with them.

Bass Pro Shops Marker Buoys

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any problem with marker bouys hanging up.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk19 View Post
    I fish with these and I've never had any problem with them.

Bass Pro Shops Marker Buoys
    Those are the ones I use also. Like you I have never had a problem, no matter what depth.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it, it's happened to me all year. I could understand if it was one or two but 4 or 5 doesn't make sense. If anyone else is experiencing this, chip in and hopefully we can find out what the problem. I would pay twice the money for buoys that would work like they are supposed to every time. Very frustrating when something this simple is not working correctly.

Since a few of you don't seem to be having any problems it makes me wonder if I'm doing something different that is causing this. Didn't have as many problems with this in years past. Thanks to those who responded.

I'll keep working on this. I've got a small stack in a corner I try not to use unless I just have too.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you put different string on them, from what they come with?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

When winding you line onto the buyos are you winding it too tight? If winding too tight your line would be be getting forced in between the line below it and making it harder it unwine. Just a thought.
    THE Nimrod Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Okey, this newbie can't resist. What are these used for? for marking fishing spots? how big are they, says 7.99 a bag, can't be that big, little help here.
    Hey, catchin' fish is easy, finding thems the hard part.

Post Thanks / Like

i have used the tourney bouys for years.....no problems with them either. same string and weight when new....

Tournament Buoy

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by totempole View Post
    Okey, this newbie can't resist. What are these used for? for marking fishing spots? how big are they, says 7.99 a bag, can't be that big, little help here.
    Small bouys used to mark structure (brushpiles, dropoffs, etc.). Place 'em out to mark your structure then use the trolling motor to stay around them while fishing. Sizes can be anywhere from about fist sized to double fist sized.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast