PDA

View Full Version : What's the best test line Lb for Crappie ?...

digihax
06-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Hello guys, I was just wondering what's the best test line to use for fishing for crappie, I heard to use 6 lb test line but not too sure, I'm coming back into fishing after being out of it for 10 yrs lol. What i got now is Spiderwire 4 lb, That should be good enough right. Everything is starting to come back slowly to me it seems that I slightly forgot a few things lol. I hate it when that happens...:confused:

gabowman
06-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Different styles of crappie fishing require different weight lines IMO. For spider rigging I prefer 8lb line. For trolling I use 6lb. Lots of folks like 4 lb for tightlining but I just stick with the 6.

BTW, welcome to the boards.:)

digihax
06-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Different styles of crappie fishing require different weight lines IMO. For spider rigging I prefer 8lb line. For trolling I use 6lb. Lots of folks like 4 lb for tightlining but I just stick with the 6.

BTW, welcome to the boards.:)

Thnx buddy, I was thinking that 4 lb sounds about right though, it seems pretty light for my strike king and rooster tails...

digihax
06-26-2011, 01:50 PM
what does tightlining mean ?, google's being stubborn for me lol...

jimp
06-26-2011, 02:10 PM
I use 4lb on most of my rods, trolling 95% of the time, just me tho.

flyboy2610
06-26-2011, 03:59 PM
I have 4lb. mono on my ultra light rod. It does just fine.

Shoemoo
06-26-2011, 04:20 PM
I use 20 pound braid for the main line. I tie on a ball bearing swivel and a 24"-36" mono leader, usually 4-6 pound test. I usually fish for crappie from shore with floats. I always attach my bobber above the swivel. I like it that way because if the jig gets hung up and I can't get it unstuck, I can break it off without losing my float.

feelay
06-26-2011, 04:41 PM
what does tightlining mean ?, google's being stubborn for me lol...

Usually, verticle jigging...nothing but a jig on a tight line.

digihax
06-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I use 20 pound braid for the main line. I tie on a ball bearing swivel and a 24"-36" mono leader, usually 4-6 pound test. I usually fish for crappie from shore with floats. I always attach my bobber above the swivel. I like it that way because if the jig gets hung up and I can't get it unstuck, I can break it off without losing my float.
Now that's a good Idea lol, thnx man...I can't afford to lose my float i only have 1 slip-bobber lmao....

BigMack
06-26-2011, 04:51 PM
I use 10 & 20 # Braid-High vis Orange with 4" Mono Leaders on either drop shot rigs or flippin.
be flexible.
Here's a few "Line Shy" fish that I scared to death and then put them on ice to chill.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o163/BigMack1618/2011-02-20Livingston008-s.jpg

here's what cha get with 4# line
Rofl
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o163/BigMack1618/2010-03-13Livingston002-s-1.jpg

BigMack
06-26-2011, 05:00 PM
I always attach my bobber above the swivel. I like it that way because if the jig gets hung up and I can't get it unstuck, I can break it off without losing my float.
sounds just like my "BigMack setup".
I've had folks tell me since they started using it they haven't lost a setup in 2 years.
It does work.
Now I use only a 4" leader but whatever works for you.
Thumbs Up
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o163/BigMack1618/2010-12-27SlipBobber.jpg

Locator79
06-26-2011, 05:01 PM
4lb. will be fine for general fishing (casting-live bait)

ChrisCarter
06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I use 4lb Fireline on my ultra light rod, casts pretty far and the touch of those subtle bites are easy for me to tell.

CrappiePappy
06-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Usually, verticle jigging...nothing but a jig on a tight line.

That technique is generally referred to as "vertical jigging", or just plain "jigging". Doh

Tightlining is generally considered as fishing over the side of the boat, with lines hanging straight down under the rod tips ... ending in a hook/sinker or jig with live bait attached. Boat is usually tied off to something, or anchored (otherwise you'd be "drift fishing" Rofl )

But, just like the Crappie can be called many different "names" .... so too can the methods/techniques that we use to catch them. And while some methods/techniques can be combinations, or used simultaneously with others, the core techniques do have a specific name that's derived from a description of "what you're doing/what the boat is doing/what the rod is doing". For instance - you're not really "spider rigging" if the boat is tied off to a tree stump, even though you have a dozen rods spread around the boat & hanging out of rod holders .... you're tightlining (or as I grew up calling it .. "still fishing"). Conversely, you don't call it "tightlining" when the boat is in motion ... as you could be "drifting", "trolling", "pushing/pulling", or "spider rigging".

I think we may even have a thread on this very subject, somewhere in the Archives.

... cp :cool:

chucktx
06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
That technique is generally referred to as "vertical jigging", or just plain "jigging". Doh

Tightlining is generally considered as fishing over the side of the boat, with lines hanging straight down under the rod tips ... ending in a hook/sinker or jig with live bait attached. Boat is usually tied off to something, or anchored (otherwise you'd be "drift fishing" Rofl )

But, just like the Crappie can be called many different "names" .... so too can the methods/techniques that we use to catch them. And while some methods/techniques can be combinations, or used simultaneously with others, the core techniques do have a specific name that's derived from a description of "what you're doing/what the boat is doing/what the rod is doing". For instance - you're not really "spider rigging" if the boat is tied off to a tree stump, even though you have a dozen rods spread around the boat & hanging out of rod holders .... you're tightlining (or as I grew up calling it .. "still fishing"). Conversely, you don't call it "tightlining" when the boat is in motion ... as you could be "drifting", "trolling", "pushing/pulling", or "spider rigging".

I think we may even have a thread on this very subject, somewhere in the Archives.

good info.....thanks!

CrappiePappy
06-26-2011, 08:37 PM
The best pound test line for Crappie, is whatever pound test line you feel comfortable using & still gives you the ability to fish the way you want to fish, present your bait in the way you want/need to, and have the confidence that you can & will hook & land the fish Thumbs Up

It can also be dependant upon the conditions in which you fish, the size/type of bait or rigging or method used, and the size fish you're likely to encounter. That can vary widely, ranging from 2lb test to >20lb test. But, I think 4-6lb test line is the more popular range.

Me, personally ... I use 4lb test for most of the methods I use, but also have outfits with 10lb & 20lb test lines (for specific baits/methods/situations). 50+ years ago, when I started Crappie fishing, 8lb test line (clear mono) was the norm. Prior to that, it was probably 20lb test nylon (black or multicolored) Doh Rofl ... but, that was all that was available, at the time.

Alphahawk
06-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Look at the new NanoFil line. I have been using it for over a week now and it is great stuff.

Regards

MEATGETTER
06-26-2011, 09:43 PM
if use 4lb line down here in these oxbows you will spend more time retying than fishin !!!!!!

gabowman
06-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I night fished for years using 4lb test tightlining minnows under the boat in open water. Switched to 6 lb test and the only difference I saw was the line didnt get frayed as bad against the hook as the 4 lb did in the same amount of time. As already mentioned, alot depends on the style of fishing and amount of cover youre fishing. If fishing on or around brush you may want larger line so you can straighten the hooks (lite wire hooks, of course) to keep from retying as much. Some people will swear by 2 lb line and some will swear by 20 lb braid....and the majority will go with everything in-between. In reality, it's really just a preference like most everything else we crappie fishermen use.;):)

countykayaker
06-27-2011, 06:02 AM
I like the 4 pound test for crappie. there are times when I am fishing crappie and will get into the pickerel and wish that I had 6 pound test!

skeetbum
06-27-2011, 07:23 AM
4lb for open water with few snags, 6lb on lots of others, and up to 10lb on a couple of still others. Some folks around here use 1lb diameter-8lb braid tied direct and a vertical presentation and do quite well. Crappie can be line shy but it's not the norm. When they get finicky I drop the size and fall rate of the jig and can sometimes get em going. I also use mostly high vis but carry a couple of clear lines rigs for when you want to know if it's the line spooking them, but it's very seldom the case unless the water is super clear.

jusanothajoe
06-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Just wondering, if I fish 100# line and a 4# leader isnt the leader the weak link ?? Am I any better off than fishing with 4# line ??, to me your no stronger than the leader you are using. I can understand the abrasive resistance, I'm just talking about breaking strength. use 6# myself

eriksat1
06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I fish mostly clear water lakes up north here and get more action using light line, I use 4 lb test yellow line (I'm a big line watcher) with a 2lb test flouro carbon leader about 12" to the hook. I do it like that so if I snag on a stick I break off the 2 lb line and don't lose much line off my reel. The reason I use 4# main line is so I can cast a 1/32 oz jig, the bigger the line the harder it is to cast a small jig, also the smaller the line the faster your jig will sink.

deathb4disco
06-27-2011, 03:05 PM
... if I fish 100# line and a 4# leader isnt the leader the weak link ?? Am I any better off than fishing with 4# line ??, to me your no stronger than the leader you are using.

That's true. I only use a leader if I've got some kind of "rig" above the leader, like a float. That way, if the line breaks, I will only lose a few inches of leader but not the float itself.

ezt pole perch
06-27-2011, 04:38 PM
I prefer 4lb flourocarbon because it sinks and you dont have to throw the line out as far to get to the depth your lookin for, but i tightline about 80% of the time. The 4lb line will usually stop my boat before it breaks.

satdoc1
06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Use only 15# Power Pro Yellow Braid , it has the same dameter as 4# mono. Fine for trollling or cranking!

fishincrazy
06-27-2011, 04:44 PM
4 or 6

jusanothajoe
06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
That's true. I only use a leader if I've got some kind of "rig" above the leader, like a float. That way, if the line breaks, I will only lose a few inches of leader but not the float itself.
ok, now that makes sense

BigMack
06-28-2011, 06:49 PM
I hope y'all know when i'm just joshin' around.

I'm sure 4# line works when others won't in certain situations.
It does take a bit of practice to feel a bite on any line and the lighter the easier to feel it.
I was surprised when I felt that little fellow on my 20# braid. Now I didn't know it was actually a fish when I pulled it in.
just don't ignore anything you even think you feel.

arkansasbowhunter
06-28-2011, 09:54 PM
trolling I use 6lb on my rods. I use 4lb on my spinning rods though.

mb4850
06-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I can't believe all you use 4 and 6# test to fish for crappie. I always use 10# hi-vis Mr Crappie. I would go crazy tying on jigs every few minutes. Some of you guys have to use heavier line than 4#.

rnvinc
06-28-2011, 10:25 PM
15 lb Big Game florescent green @ 14 lb florocarbon leader for spider riggin...

10 lb Fireline @ 14 lb florocarbon leader for bottom bouncin KY rigs....

4 lb Mr Crappie hi vis for casting small jigs....

10 lb Big Game florescent green for vertical jiggin and corkin...

(I also use 4 lb Fireline for vertical reeling rooster tails around bridge pilings for white bass...but that's a different subforum)

Rickie

mb4850
06-29-2011, 05:39 AM
rnvince, now this guy I like, "Rip there lips off" kind of guy. Seriously he fishes lakes that your always in some kind of top like I do.

CrappiePappy
06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
I can't believe all you use 4 and 6# test to fish for crappie. I always use 10# hi-vis Mr Crappie. I would go crazy tying on jigs every few minutes. Some of you guys have to use heavier line than 4#.

Actually ... all I use is 4# mono for my jig casting rods (which is what I use 95% of the time). I don't tie on a new jig every few minutes, because I'm using weedless jigheads !! And, yes ... I'm casting those jigs into brushpiles, blowdowns, standing trees, under docks, and anywhere else I think there's a possibility that a Crappie might be lurking. I have lost a few fish, that got tangled up in the cover ... but, I'm not sure that I'd have gotten them out of it, even if I was using much heavier line. I've literally pulled the lips off of Crappie, using heavier line (when they were buried in heavy cover) ... and I'd rather sacrifice a jig, every now & then, than to rip their face off Doh and still not get the fish.

mb4850
06-29-2011, 06:26 PM
crappiepappy what type weedless jigs are you using? I've tried a few and seems everytime I use them I loose half the fish that bite. Do you find that to be the case?

CrappiePappy
06-30-2011, 07:47 AM
crappiepappy what type weedless jigs are you using? I've tried a few and seems everytime I use them I loose half the fish that bite. Do you find that to be the case?

No, actually I don't find the weedless jigs to cause me to lose any fish. But, understand that I'm using them "casting" (or shooting docks) ... as they're not the best choice for trolling with. I've done a "little" deep jigging with them, mostly with just jighead/minnow setup, and I use them when Vertical Casting, but that's about it. (FYI - Vertical Casting = Vertical Casting | Older Articles (http://crappie.com/content/view/18/2/) )

I prefer using the weedless jigheads that have a Y-guard, but have no qualms about using one that has the fiber "brush" style of weedguard, either. I got Grousefly started making them, back about 8yrs ago ~ .... and recently had him make them for me with #2 hooks for the 1/16oz & 1/32oz jigheads. Originally I had him make them with #4 hooks, and they still work fine. I just had him make them with larger hooks, so I could use larger/thicker plastics with them.

You can read my post in this thread - http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentucky/47406-weedless-crappie-rigs.html ... it gives info on how I use them, how I keep from snagging up very often, contact info for Grousefly, etc. You'll have to excuse my calling them V-wing jigheads (in the post) Rofl but that's what I called them for the first several years , before learning that the guard was actually a Y shaped piece Doh

As to the "brush" style weedguard ... never was much fond of it, for a long time, until I got Grousefly to make me some. That's when I realized that the store bought ones had fibers that were usually too long. You really only want them to extend just past the barb on the hook, at most.

There are some other members that now make these Y guard style jigheads ... so I must have started something Hands Clapping But, they work, otherwise there wouldn't be a market for them, and no need for people to custom make them. LOL !!

And, just as a FYI note : I set the hook "fast". Not so much "hard", but with a quick upward snap of the wrist/arm ... and even with some of my softer action rods, I still bury the hook (usually in the roof of their mouths). I'm using 4# test mono, and let the line stretch & rod action take the shock of my hookset. Pappy don't do "wimpy" hooksets, so I make sure I have the drag set to match the rod action/line stretch of whatever outfit I use... so I don't break the line on any solid hookups. Thumbs Up I test them at home ... and set'em & forget'em !!

eriksat1
06-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Not only 4lb line but a 2 lb flouro leader as well. You have to realize we don't all fish the same type lake/structure, I fish clear natural lakes, and seldom lose jigs. If I used 10 Lb line I would never even get a nibble. Even going from 4 lb main line to a 2 lb flouro leader makes a big difference between catching fish or not up here in the far north 48.

mb4850
06-30-2011, 09:09 AM
This is great information. As I've moved to Arkansas from Mississippi I've had to learn different styles and techniques of fishing. In Miss. where we fish most of the time you can't see your jig past 3 to 6 inches deep in the oxbo's and river fed lakes we would fish. Here in NWArkansas I fish Beaver Lake a lot but usually the river parts. Now I know why I can't catch a fish in the upper lake area where the water is so clear DUH. Crappiepappy I read your article on vertical casting and think that would be a very good technique in the upper lake area where I haven't had much success. You gotta just love this site. If your willing to listen, you can learn.

jimmie
06-30-2011, 10:14 AM
4 to 8 here

digihax
06-30-2011, 10:34 AM
This is great information. As I've moved to Arkansas from Mississippi I've had to learn different styles and techniques of fishing. In Miss. where we fish most of the time you can't see your jig past 3 to 6 inches deep in the oxbo's and river fed lakes we would fish. Here in NWArkansas I fish Beaver Lake a lot but usually the river parts. Now I know why I can't catch a fish in the upper lake area where the water is so clear DUH. Crappiepappy I read your article on vertical casting and think that would be a very good technique in the upper lake area where I haven't had much success. You gotta just love this site. If your willing to listen, you can learn.

yeah this is awesome , luckily i found this in my email i forgot about this thread lmao.....thnx guys...

digihax
06-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Actually ... all I use is 4# mono for my jig casting rods (which is what I use 95% of the time). I don't tie on a new jig every few minutes, because I'm using weedless jigheads !! And, yes ... I'm casting those jigs into brushpiles, blowdowns, standing trees, under docks, and anywhere else I think there's a possibility that a Crappie might be lurking. I have lost a few fish, that got tangled up in the cover ... but, I'm not sure that I'd have gotten them out of it, even if I was using much heavier line. I've literally pulled the lips off of Crappie, using heavier line (when they were buried in heavy cover) ... and I'd rather sacrifice a jig, every now & then, than to rip their face off Doh and still not get the fish.

LOL, rip their face off, i like that lol...

mb4850
07-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Come to find out the so called 6# florocarbon I've been trying to use is actually 4#. I knew it broke easy. It is only .007" diameter. Do ya'll think using the 6# floro is better than using say 6# stren? I made me up about 10 6# test leaders today to try this weekend. Hope to get more bites.

majflyboy
07-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Two lb on ultralight jig poles, 10lb on spiderrigging rigs and 30lb braid on my crank pulling rigs.

eriksat1
07-03-2011, 08:09 PM
The flouro is more invisible but is a stiffer line so I don't use it as a main line on the reel, just about a 8"-12" leader of the flouro.

shipahoy41
07-03-2011, 08:17 PM
I use 4 lb test.

BigRiverMarine
07-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Came to this topic just to see the replies to this can of worms. You know what they say about opinions.

BigRiverMarine
07-04-2011, 01:54 PM
if use 4lb line down here in these oxbows you will spend more time retying than fishin !!!!!!

Up north use 4 lb line for them dinks. Down in the southern states, you need 8-10 lb. for them hawgs. I like Silver Thread AN-40 in #8. It's the diameter of 6 or the 10 which is like 8. I knew not to go to this thread!

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
6# mono for pitching a cork. 8#braid with a 1#diam for vertical jiging.

daveywonder
02-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I use 20 lb line and catch all I want within afew hrs. here in Indiana. If their biting, it won't matter what rope you put in front of them. When their not biting. like in the middle of the hot summer, I use my left hand to hold the pole and the other to open the cooler every 10 min. Daveywonder