Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided line keeps breaking

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided line keeps breaking

Something is wrong during my overhand cast with the new baitcaster i got from Ken.

Its a 8lb Spiderwire braided line. During the overhand cast the line just suddenly stops and snaps and i end up with massive backlash that takes me hours to sort out. Today i finally got a look at both ends of the line and realized the line appeared to have just snapped from too much stress, i guess. Both ends looked frayed which is unusual because its new line. So I'm wondering if braided line was a bad choice to stick on a baitcaster or if the line is just too light for it and i need a heavier braided line.

Any suggestions?

And a quick question, what type of line is Fireline? Mono/Braided/Fluro?

Post Thanks / Like

Fireline is braid and if it is the one I am thinking of, it is kinda flat and will bury itself in the spool when you put tension on the rod. I would have used the power/pro if you want to use a braid. I think that, that is the stuff that cuts into your guides. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

8-10 triline is what i used

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought braid one time. Fished with it on catfish rods and everytime I set the hook the line snapped. I was setting the hook HARD so maybe youre not supposed to do that since tht line doesnt stretch. Maybe it was just a rotten spool of line from the store. Regardless, I've never bought it again.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

so perhaps a stretchy line would be better suited for it. I've never had a problem with the line snapping like that with the spinning rods, but those are Sufix, not spiderwire. Plus they are heavier.

But i think I'll make the switch come Friday. I'm grounded anyway fishing with an empty gas tank, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

if you are bass fishing with it that's pretty light line for braid depending on how you are fishing. before this happened did you happen to get hung up and pull to get unhung? sometimes when you do this braid will dig into the spool and the next time you cast that's as far as you will cast where it dug into the spool and with 8 lb test line it could break it. for bass fishing i use 40 and 50 lb test braid. with that you can hoss them out of the thick stuff. i'd say try a heavier braid. i love it for bass fishing and i also use it on my crappie poles in the real light stuff. it's so much more sensitive than the mono.

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid all the time only happened once and it was always on one rod. It turned out to be one of the ceramic guides of my pole towards the bottom of the pole fraid and broke the line. So check all your guides on your poles.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that braided line doesn't work well with bait casters. It has work well for me somewhat with spin casting reels. Then I finally figure out it is bet for single pole action and trolling. Braided wire in my opinion is the way to go...but thats just me.....

Post Thanks / Like

I use it on both kinds and don't have much trouble out of either (but it does take getting use to). If you have something like a snag and you pull hard on it the next cast when it its that spot it is going to stop like it hit a wall. Never wind it up after pulling hard on it when the line out or it may do that. Don't set the hook like you do with mono and loosen you drag some as you need to do that with braid since it has no give. Something has to give at time, the line, the rod, or you drag so make let a little less.

Just remember it's going to stop like it his a wall if you pulled on it hard enough to make it dig in to the spool.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

If this is your first baitcaster there may inlay the problem. When using an baitcaster set up the cast is an much more smooth action roll back load the rod and then let the rod sling the lure, with a spinning reel its more of a quick snap when loading the rod to cast. What could be happenning is you quick snapping the bait caster like a spinning reel, there in the lure begins excelerating very quickly from the snap and then slows abruptly when it starts pulling line of the reel and turning the spool the problem then is the spool is now traveling much faster then the lure so you get the before mentioned backlash wich stops the line from spooling off and then you get the snap when the force of the lure flyin through the air snaps the line because its birdnested on the spool and cant unspool. jmo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast