Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: minnows and crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnows and crappie

well went fishing at the pond for crappie late this AM. caught about 44 chiggers, two crappie and no pearch. but I only fished about 20 mi.then I set minnow trap and going back this PM and see if any minnows in the minnow trap. try a little evening crappie fishing, wonder if the crappie lights will work in a small pond. never tried it. bet it will.

new question, do any of y'all use minnows in the hot of summer. I do but seems like stockton and me and minnows do not gell, I can go to truman and catch the heck out of crappie on minnows, watched John and jonnnie catch the heck out of crappie on minnows thursday and I went back to the same tree, same area and used minnows and never got a bite, zip Drfishjd and I have caught the heck out of crappie on truman and I have by myself but hardly ever use them and when I do zip is usually the outcome on stockton, wonder why. me don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

beagle my buddy and i use to nightfish a couple of his pond's at nite and catch lot's of crappie and catfish... bout a 3 acre pond and could not for the life of us catch a crappie during the day! even during the spawn it just had black crappie in it but we tried time and time again with everything and could'nt get a crappie to bite... come dark, we would put the light's out, open a cold one, and we would catch nice 10-11 inch crappie... never quite understood that but he doesnt live there anymore so guess i'll never get to try and figure those crappie out in the daylite
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

How do you prepare those chiggars? Deep fried or baked? 44 is a good mess for sure.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob I just quick fry in bacon grease,and enjoy, darn chiggers good for nothing but more chiggers.

Post Thanks / Like

I use minnows a lot in the hot summer months and do very well. Here is what I do and maybe it will help. First I use a plastic minnow bucket with a starfoam lining with an areator. Keeping them alive and lively is a must. I use a drop shot rig with a 1/8 or 1/4 once bell sinker 12 inches below the hook and use a loop knot to tie the hook on with. I use a 7 foot Outlaw rod, small spinning reel and power pro hi-vis 10/2 line. I use this rig to fish brush piles and dip trees. Works great and have caught too many crappie to keep count with this setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle,i've had luck on minnows the same way bender said.As for the chiggers they use to tell me to go down by the creek and strip off,pour salt all over u then when the chiggers jump off to get a drink take off running.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yesterday

My wife caughT a one and a half inch crappie on a minnow that was larger thanthe fish itself. God it was cute. Feisty too! Any chance either of you two pros could post a pic or diagram of your drop shot rigging or direct us to a u tube how to video per chance?

Post Thanks / Like

I use them all summer long #1 or 1/0 hook at the end of the line and a 1/4 or 3/8 SS about 4-6" above it.

Post Thanks / Like

Roll Em' In Andy's Cajun!