PDA

View Full Version : Big Sandy

Jackllbass
03-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys and Gals, My Grandson is on spring break and we have heard so much about the Big Sandy area and the crappie, so we decieded to give it a try. We have never been there and we have never spider rigged or trolled. We got set up to do both, but we need some help to get started. What area of Big Sandy should we start and what depth, lake depth and bait depth? Also where would be a good ramp to fish this area. We will be there Monday morning and will be there for a couple of days. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! Jack

Cane Pole
03-25-2006, 03:33 PM
With this crazy weather, who knows what the fishes are up to...If it were me, I would put in at Sulphur Creek, go due east to the middle of the lake, mark my spot and start trolling in circles. Within a 1/2 mile radius of this spot is lots of submerged stuff. Water depth will vary from 8 to 25 feet. If no luck here, I would get on the Big Sandy east channel drop and troll south towards the power lines. I would fish 18 to 20 foot and troll slowly, very slowly. Just my opinion.

Jackllbass
03-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey Tom, Thanks for the info, can you recomend a low cost place to stay? Not only Tom, can anyone recomend a place for me and my Grandson to stay, also to eat. Thanks to all. Jack

Jackllbass
03-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey Tom, I looked on my map and I could not find Sulphur Creek. Is it called another name or what landing is it? Thanks again. Jack

mike732
03-26-2006, 05:51 AM
Camden, which is about 9 miles from Big Sandy has several good motels, you will have to come through Camden on your way from Columbia...Mike

driller
03-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Camden ! My wife--"the war dept"-- used to be the city judge there. At times I refer to her as "Roy Bean" the hanging judge.

If you wish, I can ask her about a place for you guys to stay and for the name of a decent place to eat.

Cane Pole
03-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey Tom, I looked on my map and I could not find Sulphur Creek. Is it called another name or what landing is it? Thanks again. Jack

Sulphur creek is between Eagle Creek (Buchanan Resort) and Swamp Creek
(Mansard Island Resort). Google up Mansard Island Resort and go to Mapquest. Scroll north on Mapquest and you will find Sulphur Creek. This whole area is called Springville, Tn. I don't know anything bout the motels. I get lost in the Mansard Island area. All the roads are called Antioch. ha . I know my way there by water pretty good though.

Jackllbass
03-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey Tom, Mike and Driller, I found a place, Fish Tail Lodge, they also have a resturant. I don't know anything about it but it is close to Sulpher Creek. I checked another land map and I found Sulpher Creek. Thanks for everthing, I will let you know how it turns out when we get back home. Jack

Bingo
03-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Buchannan Resort is nice also. Good lodging, place to eat, and good boat ramp. Try the Old Oak Tree at Buchanan Resort when you are fishing Sandy.

Jackllbass
03-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey Bingo, What is the Old Oak Tree? Jack

pappacrappie
03-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Sulphur creek is between Eagle Creek (Buchanan Resort) and Swamp Creek
(Mansard Island Resort). Google up Mansard Island Resort and go to Mapquest. Scroll north on Mapquest and you will find Sulphur Creek. This whole area is called Springville, Tn. I don't know anything bout the motels. I get lost in the Mansard Island area. All the roads are called Antioch. ha . I know my way there by water pretty good though.
where he is talking about has been called port for some time now...it was known as little sulpher years ago...it is in fact between mansard and buchanan..

Jackllbass
03-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks Pappacrappie!

Moose1am
03-26-2006, 07:58 PM
If the wind is blowing out of the NE I would stay away from the mouth of Sulfur Creek. But you could fish the back end of the bay where it's out of the wind. The mouth of Sulfur creek is a good spot to fish when it's calm.

There is a lot of open water out there and when the wind blows out of the NE the lake can get pretty rough out there.

With a South wind that creek is good place to fish.
Hey Tom, Mike and Driller, I found a place, Fish Tail Lodge, they also have a resturant. I don't know anything about it but it is close to Sulpher Creek. I checked another land map and I found Sulpher Creek. Thanks for everthing, I will let you know how it turns out when we get back home. Jack

Jackllbass
03-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks Moose, I will keep that in mind. Going to get packed and get some sleep and get an early start in the morning. Thanks everyone! Jack

badbrad
03-27-2006, 07:36 AM
You gotta try the Barbeque at Trolingers in Paris. They close at 7:00 p.m. though.

Bingo
03-27-2006, 01:06 PM
The Old Oak Tree is a resturant. It is like a mile from the Fish Tail Lodge. Get some of their fish and you will enjoy. You can also clean your fish and they will cook yours. It is some cheaper that way but i am not sure how much. All those places they are telling you to fish is very good.

Trolingers BBQ is also wonderful. Get a BBQ plate as it will feed about 3 people and cost under $3.00 i think. Trolingers is up 79 Hwy about 14 miles or so, like going into Paris, TN. It will be on your left. Drive up and get some BBQ sandwiches or plates.

Another place really good, is about 7 miles or so going bthe opposite way, ike how i said to go to Trolingers. Go across the bridge about a mile or two from Fish Tail Lodge, leaving Henry County and go about 5 or 6 miles on that Hwy(79), on the left is called Cindy's Resturant. That is in Stewart County and that is a great buffet. Fish is delicious and it is alot on that buffet.

It is warming up this week and crappie should start bitting good and moving up in the shallow soon. You should have good luck.

Here is Trolingers and read the reviews about their BBQ.
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=15088400&city=Paris&state=TN

Here is Fish Tail Lodge
http://www.parislanding.com/fishtale_lodge.htm

Here is Buchanan Resort
http://www.parislanding.com/buchanan/index.htm

Here is Paris Landing and they have a good place to eat also
http://www.kentuckylaketourism.com/Where_to_Stay_KY.cfm

Mansard Island is also above on that list. Fish from Buchanan Resort or mouth of Sandy all the way back to Britton Ford, The Springville pumphouse. In between is like Little Sulphur, Power Lines, Mansard Island. This is a big area but if you concentrate in Little Sulphur, Power Lines and Mansard Island, you should catch crappie. Out around the power lines you will catch lots more wind, so if it is really windy you might not want to be out there in the open water. Let us all know how you do.

Bingo
03-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Go here and read the last report from Steve Mac, he might mention some of the places you are hearing in here. He wrote that on March 24th.

http://www.parislanding.com/fishing_report_32406.htm

driller
03-28-2006, 05:38 AM
Stop in at the "Tower" for accurate fishing reports and your bait.

If you spend all this time running around looking for a place to stay, a place to eat and a place to buy bait---you wont have time to fish.:eek:

Jackllbass
03-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey Guys, I'm sorry I miss some of your suggestions, but I left early Mon. morning. We did not catch a fish Monday, the wind blew bad all day and I could not fish out in Big Sandy, and neither could anyone else, we tried for a while and finally gave up. Today the wind was quite a bit less and we could fish the open water. Water temp when we put in was 52 and when we took out it was 55. We tried spider rigging, trolling crankbaits, pitching jigs into brush we found, and trolling jigs. We caught five crappie, all keepers, all by trolling jigs. We were disapointated with our first trip to Big Sandy. The ramp in Sulpher Creek is very good and Fish Tail Lodge was really nice, and friendy people there. We sure wanted to stay longer thinking the bite would pick up, but didn't want to take a chance of another day like today. Thanks again for all your help, we will get them next time. Later<>< <>< <>< Jack

Bingo
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Sorry about the bad luck. As it warms up(next few days), it should get lots better as the crappie start moving up shallow. I wish it could have warmed up for you and no wind. This month is terrible with wind.

Try to come back as it warms up and the water temp warms.

frank lawhead
03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Guys I,ve Been Had/// Just Bought A Fhs,s Map Of Ky Lake And It Does,nt Have A Boat Ramp On Sulphur Creek--
Got The Map From The Main People So Its Not Been Laying Around Some Bait Shop Forever --
Wonder What Else It,s Missing ????

Moose1am
03-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Frank:

Here is a screen shot of my Garmin MapSource North American Fishing Hot Spots v 4.0 Region 9 Kentucky Lake map of the Mansard Island area. Note the damn road are all called Antioc Road on my digital map. There is an East Antioc Road and a West Antioc Road. Not sure which one is shown on the map as they are both labeled Antioc Rd. I think that the East Antioc Road is the one to take to get to Sulfur Creek Launch ramp. But you won't stay on E Antioc very long until you turn Right (going North out of Mansard Island Resort) onto the road leading to the ramp site. The newer MapSource Metro Guide V 6 will show the real name of the roads. I'll try to capture a screen shot of that and post it as well. I think that the second map is the best of the two. The first map is from the FHS map and it will show the lake and the lake contours as show you were the creek channel runs into Sulfur as well as the stumps out on the main lake across from the mouth of Sulfur Creek. The second map is from my Metro Guide CD and it shows the road names better. Use it to get to the sulfur creek launch ramp. Note: the locals may call it by a different name than what my maps show.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/Moose1am/MansardIslandtoSulfurCreekPic.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/Moose1am/MansardIslandtoSulfurCreekLaunchRam.jpg

Guys I,ve Been Had/// Just Bought A Fhs,s Map Of Ky Lake And It Does,nt Have A Boat Ramp On Sulphur Creek--
Got The Map From The Main People So Its Not Been Laying Around Some Bait Shop Forever --
Wonder What Else It,s Missing ????

Bones
03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I've got to get that CD.

Moose1am
03-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Before you get the FHS CD I would take a look at the Kentucy Hydrografhx CD for Kentucky lake. If you fish KY lake or parts of Barkley Lake you would really do better with the Kentucy Hydrogfrax maps. They show better detail and resolution and are based on much newer data.

http://www.kentuckyhydrografx.com/BSNSS_North.htm

I've got to get that CD.

Bones
03-29-2006, 03:33 PM
I really like that. Can the sideview be downloaded to a GPS?

Moose1am
03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
not that I am aware of. What some do is use a laptop connected to their gps to view the OziExplorer Program. Then you can see the Sidescan maps while on the lake.

But I don't know of any gps units that can do that by themselves.

You will need something to keep the lap top computer safe and dry.

I really like that. Can the sideview be downloaded to a GPS?

Bones
03-29-2006, 04:15 PM
that is definitely some high tech redneck stuff.:D

frank lawhead
03-29-2006, 07:05 PM
I Don,t Need A Picture Of The Lake --i,ve Bought Fhp Maps For Over 20 Yrs,-- Always Have The Boat Ramp Symbols --this Map Has 32 Boat Marked With No Boat Ramp On Sulphur Ck.

Cane Pole
03-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Frank, Just go to the edge of the water and punch the gps, send me the co-ords and I will come get you. Don't send maps. I get lost..haha..Did u get me phone number?? Or, did I not give it out? haha I will see you next weekend anyway...............

Moose1am
03-29-2006, 08:28 PM
it's a new ramp and it won't be on the FHS map because they are so out of date. Even the new fhs maps that are sold today don't have the ramp on the map. But the ramp is there and I showed people the road to take to get to the ramp. It's there at the end of the line at the thing called "port"

If you don't need it them maybe someone else will.

I Don,t Need A Picture Of The Lake --i,ve Bought Fhp Maps For Over 20 Yrs,-- Always Have The Boat Ramp Symbols --this Map Has 32 Boat Marked With No Boat Ramp On Sulphur Ck.

ribit
03-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Frank I have a north map kentucky dam to mile 82, Kentucky Lake. Atlantic Mapping Inc. It shows a ramp at the west end of the creek but not at Port road. Bass Pro and Walmart have them Walmart may be out sometimes. There is a south kentucky lake map too. lol

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
03-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Frank, remember where the red, white & blue VFW was? The road just next to it is Port Road. Follow it (stay left when it comes to a Y) to the ramp.

frank lawhead
03-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Heh People I Appreciate All The Replys
My Gripe --you Buy A Map [should Get All The Ramps]
Ribit I Have The South Ky. Lk. Map-- From Blood River To Big Sandy
Staying At Buchanans --prolly Won,t Use Other Ramps

ribit
03-30-2006, 09:19 PM
You and CP load that new boat. lol