Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Illinois youth turkey season

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Illinois youth turkey season

I know this is a crappie form but I just had to share this with all the turkey hunters on this form.
    It is the opening day of the youth turkey weekend season here in southern Illinois. My eight year old boy Devin and I went turkey hunting this morning. We got out of the truck and the turks were gobblin like crazy on the roost. We went about two hundred yards from a buddy of mines house sat the blind up and I started calling. We sat there about ten minutes and a huge long beard started coming in gobblin all the way. The bird strutted right to the jake and hen decoy and stopped about 15 yards away from the Double Bull Blind. And dead eye Devin put the smack down on a very nice gobbler with a 20 gauge youth Rem. 870, 3" #5 Winchester turkey load.
    His brother Cody could not go this morning because he is sick but maybe in the morning he will be felling better. Not a big deal he killed a nice bird last year and Devin didn't get one so it was his turn this morning.
    It is hard to decribe how proud I am of my little guy for doing a fine job.
    I think this bird maybe bigger than any I have ever killed. It has 1-1/2" spurs with about a ten and a half inch beard. Not bad for a first bird and within just minutes of setting up.
    I wish I could post pictures on here to show everyone but I don't know how yet.
    It's turning out to be a nice day here so I think now we will go crappie fishin for a while.
    Thanks to all for letting me share this with you.

Scott
    Name:  Devins first turkey 03-25-06 001.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  59.0 KB Name:  Devins first turkey 03-25-06 003.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  58.1 KB Name:  Devins first turkey 03-25-06 004.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  50.6 KB

With a little help from my brother-in-law; here are the photographs.
    Last edited by Crappie Xtreme; 03-25-2006 at 08:35 PM.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Thats Great, hope to see a pic soon... Tell Devin he needs to teach dad now... It's great in seeing fathers and sons getting out with each other!!!!!
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Good job. Our youth day is next Sat. here in Va. We heard 2 this morning and 3 day before yesterday. Cant wait. Congrats. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

big ole bird - might have been self defense taking out that grande gobbler
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Nice limb hanger, thats a great bird Devin. Congrats Scott keep up the good work. there isn't nothing better than taking a young one hunt'n or fishing. Makes for great memories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. Congrats to im for killing a great bird.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

If your like me you got more enjoyment out of him getting one that any you've ever killed. Our youth season is this weekend as well. My 12 year old son Harrison killed his first tom last year and is eager to go after them again. I went out listening this morning and they were gobbling their fooled heads off. Just hate that the best turkey hunting and crappie fishing are on the same time table. Hard to manage enough time for both.