Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Walleye on Wehrspan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye on Wehrspan

Went out fishing yesterday around 9am. I wasn't too familiar with the grounds on Wehrspan, so i didn't know where to go to avoid the weed beds. Nevertheless i found a spot on the southwest side of the lake that leads to a bridge. I started off with some spinnerbaits just to test them out. Noticed a few bass jumping, despite the wind the water was quite calm and not breaking the waves. Originally i my intention was to use the Texas rig, but i forgot to the bring the plastics, so that went out the window. After i switched to my crankbaits, i started noticing slight tugs on the line while retrieving. Once i started to slow down the retrieve a little bit, i got my first hit on a 14" walleye. Not what i was expecting since i saw some bass jumping, but I'll take it. I put him back, since i didn't have a cooler. My second walleye was slightly smaller, a 12" that little sucker actually bit me while i was taking the hook out, that will teach me to not bring the pliers. My third walleye might have been the same 14" one that i caught earlier, its hard to say.

But all in all, it was a good day fishing on Wehrspan on such a windy and cloudy day. Wehrspan though is very murky compared to other lakes around the area.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing that you didn't keep any of them because they was all to short to keep. They have a slot limit now, and have to be between 15-22 inches to keep and can only keep 4 each day. or you can have 3= 15-22 inch and 1 over 22 inches for the lakes in Ne. Just started that this year. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Really? I didn't see any regulations on Walleye in the Nebraska Fishing book that i picked up back in April. At least not for Wehrspan, i know they have a 21" reg on Largemouth Bass, but not for Walleye.

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that walleye are some the most pacifistic game fish around. After they're hooked, it's like they decide "OK, Scotty. Just reel me in." I've never hooked one myself, but that's what I've read.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

These put up a decent fight, but I've heard larger ones have more fight in them compared to the smaller ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling they fight at first and then just come in to the boat. Once they see the boat they go nuts for awhile. That is why the tournament guys have long handled nets. Casting to them they fight fairly well. EB

Post Thanks / Like

Went back out to Wehrspan this morning, didnt realize they had oil slick on top of the lake out there. I won't be eating anything out of that lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarter View Post
    Really? I didn't see any regulations on Walleye in the Nebraska Fishing book that i picked up back in April. At least not for Wehrspan, i know they have a 21" reg on Largemouth Bass, but not for Walleye.
    In the 2011-2012 fishing booklet- pg 9. Inland waters is everything except the Missouri River.
    pg11. Under the Walleye, Sauger, and Saugeye's Section first bullet- Daily bag limit only 1 fish 22" or longer. Second bullett- 15-inch minimum-statewide. It goes on to give different lenght limits for different lakes.
    That means the slot limit is 15-22" and only 1- 22" or longer. EB

Post Thanks / Like

ah i see now. forgot to read that section. But im usually a catch and release person anyway. Haven't got a cooler yet, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Chris and I went to Weherspan yesterday and wasted our time as far as I was concerned. We hit all the spots that the Walleye should have been and didn't catch a single Walleye. We tried live bait and artificials and didn't get a bite. The only thing that we did catch was Bluegills and you couldn't get a way from them. We got 1 Bass and the rest was Bluegills. I was keeping the bigger Gills until I got to noticing that they all had a fungus growing on them. I emptied the livewell out and drained it and just catch and release the rest of the time. It is a shame because they was some really nice sized Gills. When I got home I had to clean out the livewell and wash the boat down to make sure their wasn't any unwanted guest that hitched a ride on the boat or trailer. The Zebra Mussels are getting pretty bad around here and have to make sure you clean everything after fishing here. That includes rods and reels and any jigs or lures that you had in the water. It just made me realize why I quit fishing the local lakes and only fish my private lake anymore. EB