Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pyramid!!!

so really, nobody has fished for crappie out at pyramid state park? i find it so hard to believe i had to post it again!
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

i have often thought about going there but i never make it as im not used to fishing clear lakes

Post Thanks / Like

it is clear water with a bunch of pockets of thick vegetation, so you get to use lures and techniques that you see in the magazines and stuff; at least i do because i just don't find too many vegetative lakes around the area. that was how it was two years ago anyway.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

How is the fishing? I must admit ive been in there for bass years ago but never had a thought to try crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't know how it is for crappie, that's why i asked the question. i have heard rumors that it is good, but i wanted the opinion of others. the bass population is totally out of wack, at least in the old lakes. they all have big heads and tiny bodies!
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

I knew those lakes as redear and bass lakes mainly but i suppose there has to be a crappie population there somewhere in one of those lakes but i never heard much about it.

Post Thanks / Like

hey carpoop hows crab doing this week? im hoping to go friday and sat.. should i fish deep still you tnk??? are they moving in any ?? thanks for any and all in fo...good fishing
    Rodger, So.Ill.

Post Thanks / Like

well as far as i can tell they are in the same place they were a month ago....8-12 feet over brush piles. It just wont warm up. We did have a 60 degree day today but the nights are still down in the 40s so the water cant get a headway on warming up. Tommorrow its supposed to get close to 70 but they are saying we could get some storms. I cant go this weekend or I would meet you out there and show you some places.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pyramid

(Sorry for the length of the post, and if I am stating the obvious)

I have access to two strip mine lakes very close to the park. When the fishing is hot it is completely off the charts. This time of year just about any shallow wood seems to hold fish. There are weeds all over the shallows so this time of year the weeds don't mean much. Assuming the lakes in the park are like the two I fish I would suggest focusing in on the beaver dams. Some of the dams stick way out into the lake and the fish will suspend off of the ends of them. Start by casting about 20 feet in front of the dam then try 10then try right on it. A portable depthfinder is almost a must if you want to fish in the summer or winter. The bottoms of these lakes are usually somewhat irregular. In the summer the fish seem to hold on the ledges. It can be hard to find the school, but once you do loading up is possible. Only the big lake has shad but for some reason the crappie seem to run bigger in the small lake. I have noticed in the last year or two that the bass and crappie in the big lake seem to be a little skinner than the ones in the little lake. Shad kill? The little lake is loaded with crawfish, and it is not uncommon for me to catch a big crappie on a plastic crawfish while bass fishing. Color seems to matter sometimes but 90% of the time they will either hit white, chart, or anything. If you get a warm sunny day with no wind you can also sight fish for both bass and crappie. Look under laydowns and you will often see the crappie with their noses almost touching the log. Pitch the lightest jig you can next to the log and watch them eat it!

A good day for the lakes, and I only crappie fish on certain spots, or when I catch one while bass fishing would be:

40-60 crappie with about (1/2 little lake) ,(1/3 big lake) in the 10-12 inch range. I have caught a lot of 14-14.5 inch fish, can't seem to get one over 14.5.
    20-40 bass with at least one in excess of 4 pounds

I am going down there on Saturday and I will post a report when I get back.

Hopefully this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you Koko! i just wonder if the lakes in the park are similar because they might get fished alot heavier than the private ones you are on, but that is a question i can answer with tackle and beer! thanks again.
    -Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast