Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cave Run advise??

lunchbox Guest

Default Cave Run advise??

Anyone have any advise for me this weekend. I am hitting cave run on saturday and will be targeting mostly crappie and maybe some musky depending on the crappie bite. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am fishing this for my first time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to think the crappie are still holding tight to structure in the channels since the water temps are likely only in the mid to upper 40's. Look in main lake coves or on Beaver Creek or the river. The main thing about the river is that there are no channel markers so be aware of lots of submerged trees, etc. It can be on the dangerous side if you don't know the river too well. Beaver Creek has channel markers but there are many hidden stumps as well just outside the channel markers. Always be alert when you're on the Cave for submerged trees. Lake is around 2.5 feet above winter pool. Suppose to be sort of on the cold side on Saturday. Good luck. Be sure to post a report especially if you catch a bunch of slabs. I hope to get on the water next week.

lunchbox Guest

Well this weekend ended up being a no go. Friday night ended up being a "rough" night and we decided to sleep off the night before.. Plus with the cold temps and the snow saturday morning we just didnt feel like making the trip. So hopefully in the next week or 2 I will make this one up.. Thanks for the advise and I will hopefully have some info my self soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand. Yesterday would not have been a real enjoyable day on the Cave. I'm going Thursday primarily to work any bugs out of my boat that's been in storage all winter. Hopefully I'll get some fishing in and will try to post a report when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

I would first hit the backwater at Beaver Creek (shallow water but can be VERY productive with those water temps. Paddle Bugs tipped with minnows is the ticket.

I would also try the deep water channel ledge straight out from Musky Bend.
    This is a known area for big slabs (13-14 inchers) which is big Crappie at Cave Run.

Another great area is up by the "Quarry" out of Banger. This is a very productive area of the river but be carefull running it unless you know where the "hidden trees" are at.

I live in GA now but originally from the lake area and I have caught many fish out of these areas over the years.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bigbob; 03-27-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Big Bob

Bob,
    How are you doing? You sent me some private messages a while back on crappie fishing Cave Run. I have lost them somewhere. Could you get back with me again on them? I do remember back of Beaver and mouth of Muskie Bend. I am plannin a trip the 13th or 14th of April.
    Thanks,
    Bassky
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tomorrow

I will be going to Cave Run tomorrow. I will give a report tomorrow night.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Day

Went out this afternoon, but with blue bird sky the fishing was tough. Tried minnows and jigs but couldn't buy a bite. Graphed bunches of crappie at the intersection of Big and Small Cave Run creeks but nothing would offer to bite. There were plenty of fish from 10 to 24 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Big Marv

Marv,
    I was talking to the CO officer last Friday (24th) at the Alfrey ramp and he said they have been catching some nice crappie up in the river around Poppin Rock and in the area around the quarry. Fish were suspended at 4-8' deep in in 12-20' of water. He said some of the fish he saw were between 10-14". He said one fella had around 15 in that range. He said they were catching them on jigs tipped with minnows, and with floats and minnows.
    Hope this helps, I am planning coming down the 13th or 14th. Hopefully they will start to move up then.
    Good Fishing,
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the Cave yesterday but was primarily getting the bugs out of my "new" boat. Had similar experience as Big Marv. I fished some coves off main lake where I've been very successful in the past but yesterday it was all short fish. I normally fish the Poppin Rock area but like I said I was mainly boat riding. Talked to numerous folks on the water and at the ramp who were also not doing very well bass or crappie. It was however, an awesome day to sneak off from work and just be out on the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast