PDA

View Full Version : My new toy for daddy's day

rugsrme
06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I think this might work out pretty well, I read up on it, more liked it than not.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

rugsrme
06-20-2011, 02:43 PM

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

old fuzzy
06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Nice.

Bigbill
06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Fancy.....let us know how you like it.

mduncan62
06-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Tried one of them several years ago, good for depth readings, but that's about the only use I found for them. In small ponds and stuff, depth can be the most important data though.

Speck
06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Pretty cool Quinn. Cant wait to see how well it works

billd2626
06-20-2011, 05:56 PM
What a great gift!

I've been thinking about getting something like that .. please let us know how you like it.

rugsrme
06-20-2011, 07:56 PM
What a great gift!

I've been thinking about getting something like that .. please let us know how you like it.
It was $99 at BPS, this one is a rod mount, they have a wrist watch monitor and also one that has a 5-6" screen for $169.
I got it with $50 gift cards from my Mother and my wonderful daughter and I paid the rest.
So far, I played around with it at the lake for a few hrs. It don't catch fish for you that's for sure.
I seems pretty ok for showing depth and some structure and it did show some fish on the screen. It has the fish ID, sensitivity settings, and depth range settings. The transducer will flash a led light for night and the screen on the monitor has a back light.
I think it will be handy over all.

gabowman
06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Cool gift. Congrats.:)

Matt
06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Keep us posted! I've always wondered about those!! Pretty cheap tool to add to the arsenal if it helps out at all!! How much does it weigh? Just wondering how big of a pole you would need to cast it out with...

rugsrme
06-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Keep us posted! I've always wondered about those!! Pretty cheap tool to add to the arsenal if it helps out at all!! How much does it weigh? Just wondering how big of a pole you would need to cast it out with...
It has 3 mounting thingys, they fit from 3/8" to 1/2"
The transducer weight????? not allot heavier than a big spinner bait, I tried it on a 5' 6" rod with an old baitcaster on it, I'm sure if I put it on a longer pole with a spinning reel, I could cast it past the 150' range.
I also read in my research that you can tie it off the side of a kayak or tether it off of a float tube.
I also read that if the water is really choppy it can lose signal and works in closer ranges because it is a "line of sight" signal and can be blocked.
I'll post more as I learn more, or when I catch fish, let you all know it helped.

billd2626
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM
I'll post more as I learn more, or when I catch fish, let you all know it helped.

Thanks for the information & reviews .. I'd love to hear more as you learn more about it .. I'm thinkin' that might be pretty handy for a bank fisherman.

snakedodger
06-20-2011, 10:00 PM
i have one and love it.it's great for finding brush piles around docks.try not to band the green part off of hard objects to often.

Kit Papermouth
06-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I'd have 100# test on that thing.
I wondered how well they worked.
Have fun with it Quinner.

rugsrme
06-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Yea, I was wondering about that transducer, it really smacks the water on a cast.
A little nervous the first few cast, I just spent $100 on this and I'm taking half of it and casting it out in the lake (made sure I had a good knot :) ).

CrappieCoz
06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
I have one. Worked great for me. I used it at Pomme, Canada and LofO off my brothers dock. Showed structure and some fish. But your right it doesn't make the fish bite, just lets you know they are there. Have fun.:D

mduncan62
06-20-2011, 10:30 PM
better make sure the metal sensors on that transducer aren't making a connection on anything when it's out of the water, as I recall, it'll run the battery down in no time flat. There's a limited life expectancy on that ducer.

rugsrme
06-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Yea, says to keep it dry too, that's what turns it on, also says up to 500 hrs on that battery and $27 to replace the transducer, that's what I'm waiting to see, hope it last that long....

bwillaub
06-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Great little toy there, Quinn. I can see it being very helpful around docks. Be sure to write us a big review when you have used it a few times.

Joedog
06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I have one somewhere. It might still work. It is the wristwatch one. I had to buy all these extra batteries for it cuz it went through them. I agree with Duncan....it's good for depths but can't really trust it for much else. Great for fishing the banks, though, or off the docks in the winter.

Bad thing is the transducer. I haven't had it crap out on me casting it out onto the water, but if it ever hit anything OTHER than the water, it broke. I sent two of them back to Humminbird and they replaced. Wasn't too difficult, but more difficult than I thought processing an exchange for them both.

Not sure if the internal battery was an issue, either. Seems like no matter how dry you'd get it, the little light would keep flashing. Figured I got water inside of it or something?! But if that were the case it would die pretty quick.

Then one day, I was using it as a slip bobber above a jig. Snagged up on something. The jig broke, the line came out, and it floated away on me. *sigh*. I still have a second transducer but haven't used it since that day. Not even sure if it still works.

NUBSTER
06-22-2011, 09:53 AM
I have used the 10 model for years. Very successful in locating fish and water depth. Just dont store the sonar unit next to metal as it will run down very quickly. Also, the unit will pick up radio interference from trolling motor or other electronic appliances if used in boat. Best to hook up on 10 ft pole with 30# test and use around boat with all electronics off. Enjoy.

keeferfish
06-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I was thinking about trying one of those on my pond so keep us updated.

Could use the more expensive version below???Rofl

neosmatrix
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I was in Indiana last week and I saw one of these new in the package for like 25 bucks or so at a flea market. I was tempted!!

Oh well, I am back home in MO now.
S

go dart
06-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Excellent at crappie docks too!