Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Grow The Sport?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How To Grow The Sport?

You hear this statement a lot in the bass industry “Growing the sport”. I must say that is a great question, how do we grow the sport? Now, I’m not talking about the sport of bass fishing, I’m talking about How Do We Grow The Sport of Crappie Fishing? I travel and speak at different fishing and outdoor shows during the year and I have found out that not that many people know what goes on in the crappie industry. For example, when I talk to people about crappie tournaments they make the statement “I didn’t know they had crappie tournaments” or “Crappie really get that big, I only caught pansize crappie”. As a professional angler I think about this everyday. How can I, how can you, how can we help grow awareness of crappie fishing? Wait, I’m not just talking about making tournament payouts bigger (even though I wouldn’t mind that) more than that. We need ideas, we need energy, and we need YOU!

Sincerely,

Jarad Roper
    Team Roper Outdoors, LLC

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

That is kind of the reason that I love the sport so much. It is simple.....fairly inexpensive....you can catch crappie just about everywhere.....you don't have to have a $50,000 bass boat to fish for them......and you don't have to worry about large crowds. Not to mention the fact that they taste great and you don't have to feel like a train ran over you at the end of the day as you do when you come off the lake after bass fishing all day. Crappie fishermen are simple people and I believe that this is why the sport stays as it is. Not sure how to help with this one?
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

This website is a big help.

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to be controversial or ugly about this, but I'm not sure I want to "grow" crappie fishing into what bass fishing is. Fishing is my hobbie not my livelihood so I understand I may be looking at this from a different angle.

I prefer to just pass along what little I know to the next generation and possibly introduce friends and family to a great pastime. I have a tough time understanding how recruiting a mass of additional fishermen would benefit me, crappie populations, or our lakes and rivers. Don't get me wrong, I've got no problems with new folks becoming acquainted with crappie fishing. I just wouldn't want to be a part of a marketing campaign.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speckfinder View Post
    This website is a big help.
    No doubt!!!

Splitshot, you have some interesting points. Maybe that's because they are worth eating, not just something to toss back in. In some places around the country, a little more pressure would do them some good. I also don't know that you're going to recruit the masses, so to speak. Sure, you may bring some new fishermen onboard, but most are still going to be people that love to fish. I know many a bass fisherman than have been converted.

I'm not going off topic, but you can relate it to religion. Go out and be a witness. When you talk to people, speak only crappie. The more people you talk to, the more people you'll start seeing out on the lake on Sunday mornings. For those that have been touched, but not quite convinced, have TV shows on Sunday mornings. Show and talk about how great the crappie is. You might stay away from jumping up and down and screaming each time you get one in the boat, that could wear someone out in a hurry...could you imagine those 200+ catch days!?!

The above statements may be a little off, but it's not too far from the truth. The LMB has been put on the pedestal, now ask yourself why that is. They are not the biggest, nor the best "fight" (pound for pound). The only real advantage I see is that the LMB can be caught in far more places than a crappie.

Guys are trying to do the same thing with walleye and catfish. If you could lip a catfish like a bass, and didn't get all that slime on your line, I think it would be the most chased fish. The only thing keeping walleye popularity down is access to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Splitshot82 View Post
    Not trying to be controversial or ugly about this, but I'm not sure I want to "grow" crappie fishing into what bass fishing is. Fishing is my hobbie not my livelihood so I understand I may be looking at this from a different angle.

I prefer to just pass along what little I know to the next generation and possibly introduce friends and family to a great pastime. I have a tough time understanding how recruiting a mass of additional fishermen would benefit me, crappie populations, or our lakes and rivers. Don't get me wrong, I've got no problems with new folks becoming acquainted with crappie fishing. I just wouldn't want to be a part of a marketing campaign.

I read the original post yesterday afternoon, thought about it and I'm in agreement with you. I see crappie fishing as a means of relaxation, an opportunity to spend quality time with my husband, a way to introduce my nieces and nephews to a fun activity that provides a lifetime of enjoyment. We're lucky to live in close proximity to two great crappie fisheries, both of which get plenty of fishing pressure every spring from locals and out-of-towners alike. That's why my favorite time to crappie fish is in the fall.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkb23 View Post
    It is simple.....fairly inexpensive....you don't have to have a $50,000 bass boat to fish for them......
    ... which pretty much guarantees it will never be as big as bass fishing (which is fine with me.)

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, would NOT want to see the same pressure on the crappie in lakes I fish like the bassers put on the bass. Most of the fishing pressure for crappie here is mainly during the spawn but with the bass guys it's year round, tournaments practically every weekend. I guess it sounds a little hoggish, but I like having the lake to myself to crappie fish anywhere I want without pressure on the fish 10 mos. out of the year.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with everyone so far. I like it simple as fishin a minner under a cork or as technical as longlineing and pullin cranks. Don't want it to become a hurry hurry gotta hurry up sport. I even see some trends going towards high dollar tackle and thats O.K. if that is what ya want but also can be done with a length of bamboo as well. And I think that is what draws most to the sport. You can keep it simple or go technical and still be productive and have fun. This website is a huge plus for the sport as well as the slabfests that draw all makes and models to enjoy a day on the water with good people and good food, without the pressure associated with tournaments.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of great points made here, and the one that sticks out to me the most is gabowman mentioning the pressure on the fish. The lakes here in my area get POUNDED, almost every day, and crowded enought to send you home on the weekend, 90% bass fishing. I think I like my crappie fishing just the way it is.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast