Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance Elite 5 DSI help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowrance Elite 5 DSI help

Anybody around Smithville have one of these new dsi units? I'm having issues trying to operate mine!! I'm just trying to get it setup so that I have a clear picture in water from 5' to around 50'. In other posts that I have read it seems that different depths need to be setup quite a bit different.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not got one yet but will be soon after seeing the Hummingbird down imaging and a HDS 7 in action the last couple months. The images are unbelievable from both units. Here is a bump in hopes some one has an anwser for you. Hope you get it figured out. When you do I feel you will be happy with it from what I have seen.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the Elite 5 DSI and so far am not real happy with it. The literature says it works to 250' but I lose the bottom at a little over 100'. I have yet to see what I consider a fish on the unit. I see structure in shallower water. The higher frequency is supposed to be used in shallower water and the 455Hz in deeper water if that helps. I run the two side by side at times just to learn the difference. I e-mailed Lowarance service yesterday to see what they had to say. I like to chase white bass in the summer an finding schools of them in deep water and being able to tell how deep they are is important. My old x47 shows schools of fish when the dsi unit shows a blank screen. I may have a defective unit and not know any better because I don't know what to expect. The owner's manual is basically useless. It is a generic manual for the Elite series and not unit specific.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the elite 5 dsi.I leave mine on 800 and love it.Around 60 fow is all that i've been in.I have no trouble seeing the fish and structure on it.I also have the hb 570 dsi and like it also.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure liking mine so far. I have it sitting beside the LCR unit I was using before. It is amazing at the difference in the two. What shows up as fish on the LCR is clearly tree limbs on the DSI. I wasted a lot of time in the past trying to get those tree limbs to bite!

I'm still using mine on the factory settings. No complaints whatsoever.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

One day with no response from Lowrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    I'm sure liking mine so far. I have it sitting beside the LCR unit I was using before. It is amazing at the difference in the two. What shows up as fish on the LCR is clearly tree limbs on the DSI. I wasted a lot of time in the past trying to get those tree limbs to bite!

I'm still using mine on the factory settings. No complaints whatsoever.
    That's an accomplishment...I never seem to have a problem getting those tree limbs to bite! lol just kidding!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this weekend I took the boat out a couple more times, and I wish I could say that I had this thing figured out. I can say that I have more experience, and have a better ability to interpret what it is showing (maybe??) I can also say that my picture is still finicky to depth. I can't help but think that within a 30' range of water there should be no changes necessary to the setup. Maybe I'm being picky, maybe I messed with something that I shouldn't have, maybe there's something wrong with the installation (it was professionally installed as an upgrade to my new boat), but I still think with a little fine tuning of the settings this thing would shine like a diamond. Lowrance does leave A LOT to be desired in their user guide, especially with price tag of this unit. With searching around the net this seems to be a very common complaint. As far as a learning curve, I don't have another unit to compare data with so its hard to gain a grasp of what I am seeing. No doubt, seeing a tree under water is something pretty crazy, but not knowing what to look for as far as anything else is a little frustrating. This gets me back to the manual, if I had one worth anything this would probably not be necessary. In the end I will probably be happy with it, I will just need to play a little more. Thanks for all the comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Day two and still no response from Lowrance technical support.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FAADAN View Post
    Day two and still no response from Lowrance technical support.
    I see they are back to their old habits.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast