Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truman fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman fishing

We have our annual vacation trip to Truman planned at the end of next week. I usually fish mornings for crappie, whites and hybrids. Any suggestions on what I should try this year. Usually takes a day to figure out the pattern for me. I guess crappie will be in the full summer pattern by then. Last year when trolling cranks I caught a 4lb walleye and a 25 lb blue cat on a wiggle wart. Never know what you will catch trolling those things. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Summer pattern is picking up right now. Dipping trees is starting to produce some fish. Our best bite last weekend was 20 fow, 10 - 12 feet down on blk/char.
    Good luck.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. We'll be trying what you said and a few other patterns we have discovered.

Post Thanks / Like

what other patterns have you discovered, I would like to know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    Summer pattern is picking up right now. Dipping trees is starting to produce some fish. Our best bite last weekend was 20 fow, 10 - 12 feet down on blk/char.
    Good luck.
    thanks for sharin bwill going to try it soon myself??

Post Thanks / Like

Keep on the move ( moving tree to tree).
    Kevin Rogers-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    what other patterns have you discovered, I would like to know
    I spider rig crank baits off the back of the boat, four rods, and slow troll wiggle warts around bluff points and open bluff water. You'll lost some cranks but it catches good and you may hook up with about anything. Last year doing this I picked up a 4lb walleye and a 25 lb blue cat. We hammered the crappie at Mark Twain doing this. Learned it from a crappie guide.

Post Thanks / Like

ok spider rigging crank baits, never heard of that, do a lot of long lining out the side and back of the boat, do you use weight, if so what size, three way swivel I suppose, I would be intrested in knowing how you set up, seems like so many trees on Truman Lake it would be hard to troll crank baits, except maby up by the dam. Always wanted to long line up there and see if a feller could get into some of them big ole hybards(sp). only caught a couple small one of them. anyway good luck and hope you catch another big ole blue.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually don't use weights but if we do we rig a 3 way with a 1/2 oz weight as a dropper off the crank bait leader. If you stay just off the tree line and run cranks about 7' down you won't hang up as much. Crappie suspend looking up for food and they will come up from below the crank and least that is what my guide buddy told me. Obviously he is a lot better at it than I am. I also use the same set up with long lines around KK island for whites and hybrids a couple of hours before sunset. You never know just what you will catch on a wiggle wart those things are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Bandit 300's thrown off the sides and back of the boat troll about 2 mph and caught crappie, troll along tree lines, points and just tie onto a swivel and throw the bandit as far as I can, reel in fish when it surfaces. Knock on wood but haven't lost a crank yet. Catch lots of drum, bass and a few cats in addition to crappie. Works when the dipping fails suring the summer. Always carry 7 or 8 Bandits in the boat. Can make a bad day fishing pretty productive. But can be a lot of work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast