Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Summer Natives!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer Natives!

Rented a cabin in Randolph county Wv to use as a base camp for some summer trout fishing this weekend. We have lots of options for water holding natives in the area, just got to be willing to hike and even strike out, but the challenge is what makes it so interesting.

People who may have never fished for wild brookies probably would never believe how exciting it can be to catch a 5 or 6 inch fish! Plus trout fishing like this brings you to some of the most beautiful streams in the world.....and the perfect photo op is with that beautiful little fish in your hand!

Wish me luck!
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck....Been there done that..We fish alot in a town near webster springs, called bergoo and cherry falls. Alot of natives there..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PBUG2009 View Post
    Good luck....Been there done that..We fish alot in a town near webster springs, called bergoo and cherry falls. Alot of natives there..

Thanks PBUG....yeah we might go down towards whitaker falls, but I always find that some of those holes are fished so hard that if we fish the Elk at all it'll probably be towards the Slaty Fork section. I used to really like Bergoo, but so many private camps sprung up there that it lost the allure for me, and I haven't had much luck since all those people showed up.....it's ashame.

But, for the most part we will be fishing little traveled and "unnamed" creeks that cannot be seen from a road. There is just something about "discovering" a creek that holds natives, the discovery made possible through research, acquired knowledge, hiking and alotta luck....and when all that work pays off there are few things more rewarding than that colorful little fingerling!....Even if I am just releasing back to the water.....
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

try up leatherneck off into those little feeder streams... We got into alot 2yrs ago. But 2 bad things about that trip. 1. Bears 2. Rattlesnakes, these 2 things were everywhere

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PBUG2009 View Post
    try up leatherneck off into those little feeder streams... We got into alot 2yrs ago. But 2 bad things about that trip. 1. Bears 2. Rattlesnakes, these 2 things were everywhere
    Cool, thanks! Do you mean LeatherWOOD (name According to USGS) creek that runs right into Bergoo?? It originates as a left and a right fork.....I already have it marked as a potential brookie stream and to scout for campspots along the National Forest Boundary that it crosses. I've always wanted to check out Bergoo Creek as well (next watershed to north) since it has an even larger watershed to keep it wet in the summer, then there is the 3 forks of the Gualey (next watershed to south) with a pristine environment in which to support brookies.....it's definitely a great area with clean waters since they all originate in the Mon NF.

I used to trap bear, so that doesn't bother me at all...in fact I love 'em! Rattlesnakes just mean dinner (but thanks for reminding me to pack my snake gun). The only reason they bother me is because I fear the dog will get bit.

Whereabouts you from anyway? Charleston here.....Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

thats it lol why i said leatherneck I have no clue lol....Im from Hurricane just about 40min away from you...Take an assortment of rooster tail spinners. Really anything black, brown and olive in it.. We got a few nice spots on the holly river we fish. You are definately on the right track headed around bergoo...

Post Thanks / Like

They're native up here in Vermont, we always get to catch them and even the small ones are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!