Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got all charged up yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got all charged up yesterday

So I was vertical jiggin out of my aluminum boat with two 11' WM poles about 300' off shore when this front came in. It started to rain and could hear thunder, figured I should move back closer to ramp but then I caught a decent fish. Threw it in the well, rigged tube back up and noticed my right hand felt a little tingly and I could hear a cracking sound. I looked closer and saw that when my thumb was within 3/4" of the rod's metal hook holder it was arcing a few times per second. Kinda like one of those push-to-ignite bbq lighters. Touch my thumb to the hook holder and it would stop. Move thumb away and the arcs would resume. Started to have bad ol' feelings about the whole deal so I picked up and got the hay out of there. Was using braid also, not mono.

Y'all ever heard of such happenings or do most folks not live to tell about it?
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what was going on for sure, but I think ya made the right move in packing up and getting out of there. Sounds like you were charging up for a lightning strike.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have been gone when I heard the first clap of thunder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you just have an electrifying personality...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

At that moment you were a lightening rod. You never would have seen the actual lightening because you would have been lite up. That is a sign to head for cover. Other people say the hair on the back of their neck stick up and that is just another sign of being a conductor. You were very lucky that you left when you did. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

If it's just raining...no problem, usually. If I hear thunder, no matter how far away...I'm headed for the ramp!!! You can be hit by lightening from over 100 miles away, do a google and you may be surprised at what you can find out about getting "LIT-UP".

Post Thanks / Like

When I hear thunder I look for the lightening and head for the ramp, been caught out there a few times that I have had hair on my arms and back of my neck stand up & don't like the feeling, one more boom and I could be boom! Graphite rods are an excellent conductor
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

have heard of folks that threw out a lure and the line or lure would not hit the water.............for a few seconds......scary!!

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

How many STAGS did you drink before that GF??Rofl
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I had something similar happen on KY Lake several years ago. A friend and I were trolling for sauger and white bass about 1/2 mile off shore when a storm passed several miles south of us. It never even got cloudy where we were. I raised up my graphite rod and heard a humming noise. It wasn't loud but it was noticeable. The only way to describe the sound was like a light saber from Star Wars. I could raise the rod up high and the sound would get louder and the pitch would change, lower it to the water and it would stop. Needless to say we didn't stay around long to wait and see the results of this little trick. We headed to the bank---PRONTO!
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast