Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of threads and replies

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Lack of threads and replies

I have noticed that there is not much activity on the Michigan site. I have also read that other people are wondering why this is. Living in South Carolina I learned that crappie fishing is BIG. Bas fishing is also big and I have done a lot bass fishing including tournaments but I have to say my favorite is crappie.

Having a summer home on Lake Huron I have noticed one thing; people are fishing for salmon. For years I would see many boats that would go out for smallies, perch, walleye or whatever would bite. I never see this now. The only boats I see go out are going for salmon or lakers. Now don't get me wrong because I love to fish for salmon. I just think that too many people have forgotten that there are other species that are just as much fun to catch.

This is just my opinion and I would like to hear yours.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

9mmruger1 Guest

I don't think that the crappie are as popular here in michigan as the bluegill is. Don't get me wrong, I love winter crappie. In the summer they are just too soft for my likes. Bluegills however, yummmmmmm all year long.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like crappies more than the gills. My problem is that I don't get online everyday like I used to Dealing with slow dial up doesn't help either. Where I live, they don't have DSL. The only quick internet service is Directway and I would have to buy another dish for that . I'll try to do better.
    I'd rather be on the lake enjoying the thrill of my rod telling me there's a fish on the end of my line. :D

Corey

Post Thanks / Like

I fish crappie all the time, and even fish some of the tourneys, kinda hard to find time to post.... and am not very puter literate!!! :D
    but ging to try and do my part for the mich board.
    heading to mississippi tomorow for a week of fishing for the giants, hope to post some picks when I get back:rolleyes:
    fillet em n fry em
    john

Post Thanks / Like

I'm dumber then a box of leadheads, but I can see there aren't many (speck) fisherman from Mi.
    Hi all, I'm from Muskegon and hoping we northerners can generate a little interest about crappie fishing. We need to step up on this forum.
    I just love to fish specks, but I'm not very good at it. As a matter of fact, I just told my better half, " I'm buying a new Aqua Vu to make me a better spec fisherman." She said, "No you aren't, you'll never be a better speck fisherman".
    So there you go. It's up to us fisherman to prove my wife wrong.
    Any takers?
    Better yet,,,,,,,,,,,,, anybody have a used Aqua Vu for sale cheap?:o
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I want one of those underwater cameras also but down here in North Carolina the water is so murkey you cant see a foot in it. Our fish must be attracted by smell or sound.lol I cant wait to get up to Fletcher floodwaters in northern Michigan and find some Crappie and Pike too. Sure would like to get some Walleye if anyone knows where up there to send me. I appreciate any help.

Post Thanks / Like

9mmruger1:
    Your comment about "soft crappies" is what I hear all the time when I mention I am going crappie fishing. "How can you eat them?" "THey aren't any good this time of year!" Etc.
    When I summer crappie fish, I just throw them in a cooler with ice and by the time I am ready to clean them they are just as firm as if I had caught them on a frozen lake. What are other crappie fishermen's comments about that? Agree or dissagree.

I fish one very good crappie lake and I have met only one other crappie fisherman on it in three years (summer fishing).

Hoping to get some crappie fishing in later this month. Still haven't got my boat out of storage yet. Last year was a complete bust as I had almost no time to fish.
    Other comments are correct - there are so many fishing opportunities here in MI that not many guys fish crappie. Trout - salmon, walleye, bass, etc.
    Good luck this year!
    jcass

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it has become routine during the heat of the LA summer to leave my crappie on ice overnight. Not only because the meat is firmer, but also makes them easier to fillet. Also when I get all my gear stowed away it's usually getting too dark anyway. I hate to rig up the lights to fillet them due to all the bloodsucking Louisiana mosquitoes. The smaller ones are voraciously eating us before the big 'uns get there and carry us off!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default soft crappie?

I agree with you ruger, toss them on ice right away and they are greeeeeat
    eating, family never complains.
    never enough time to fish for everything I would like, love walleye, and salmon fishing, and try and never miss bluegills on the beds.
    just got back from a trip to enid and grenada, did ok, but high winds made fishing difficult, but man sure was fun....nice when your "average" fish is closer to 12 in. than 10in.:D
    fillet em n fry em
    john

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agreed

I usually put them on ice too and then get the knife out and fillet them. There's just something about a nice tasting crappie; however walleye are the best! Hey steelguy, if you ever get a chance to get out on Lake Erie, I'd do it. :D Those walleye would have you going crazy. The biggest walleye I've caught was 22" and that wasn't even in Lake Erie, it was on the Huron River. I would give my right arm to do some salmon fishing though...maybe one day I'll have my chance.
    I'd rather be on the lake enjoying the thrill of my rod telling me there's a fish on the end of my line. :D

Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast