Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hillsdale?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hillsdale?

Me and my dad and bro went to Hillsdale over the weekend, we fished marrysville, any where from 15-25ft but not alot of fish. The fished seemed tight up next to standing timber. We caught about 8 keepers on saturday and 8 on sunday. It just seems like were not in the right spot! I know the lake really well and have fished it for years! last few years I have been stumped!!!We always use jigs not so much minners. I love the bite off a jig. I was just wondering if anybody can help out! The fish we did catch were real nice.

Post Thanks / Like

if i am guessin prolly got the post spawn scattereds few in timber few on piles few off the the edges of piles some sittin out away from where they spawned just a seek and find game for a while??

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, when do you think they bunch up into groups again, and not be so scattered. I just hear other guys saying got limits in two hours. I'm more of a winter crappie fisherman. I was just wondering where and when do crappie bunch up and what's a good depth. Is marrysville a good spot for the summer catchn. In the winter I can get a limit from hillsdale in a couple hours but I can't produce in the summer!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to find fish bunched up its probably going to be on piles this time of year. The tree bite will produce really well, but you move around from tree to tree catching 1 here, 3 there, 2 there etc. The piles on ledges, or even just ledges/breaklines etc will produce more quantity. But I think you can catch the bigger fish on the standing timber. The piles will be loaded with all sizes, but typically you will find all small fish on some and bigger ones on others. This is where you can limit out quickly, but its not always going to be a 2 hr deal. Just depends on what you want to do. But I am not sure you are going to find the huge numbers of fish schooled together like you do in late fall/winter this time of year regardless if you are fishing timber, piles, ledges etc. I like to fish timber in 4-10' of water during the summer, but if you are fishing piles then it will probably be deeper in that 15-25' range. The pressure gets to HD this time of year. You better get out early and during the week if you want to do well. Hopefully Springhill Duckman will chime in...he is the resident HD expert.

I was there Saturday fishing a bass tournament and it reminded me why I never go there on the weekends this time of year. Way too many people there...If you all saw Big Mo's pic from a couple weeks ago the whole lot was like that with trailers backing people in because they could not park straight. I am glad I thought of it at the time we unloaded but I parked at the very end spot so I knew I could get out at the end of the day with a full lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chad for the info, I know it sometimes takes time, even all day to get a limit or just a nice mess, something just did't seem right 3 guys 8 fish. I just thought we were in the wrong area of water. we caught a few small ones too, but it never hurts to get other peoples opinion on the lake. I like hiilsdale its close too home. just need to learn some more hot spots. I find myself going back to the same area year after year. I need to change it up. No matter what its still fun trying!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Im hoping you got an uncle Bryan. Im a good buddy of his. We have worked together for alot of years. I fish Hillsdale most of the time. Im not out there to much in the summer. If you are Bryans nephew, send me a pm and maybe we can all hook up and get after them. Take care.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya on new water. Every once in a while I get in the mood for a challenge. I will force myself to try all néw water no matter the circumstances. Or I will do a new technique or bait etc. Helps you learn. But can be frustrating at times too.

Post Thanks / Like

@ChadKU: spoken like a true tourney fisherman.
    I would hit the tree rows in big and little bull. It's a numbers game. BA I'm sure you have gone to a differnt post by now [turnaments are BAD](please). keep moving the biggest of the active fish hit first

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry just got home from wiper fishing. The big fish are on right now...

The big post spawn fish are hard, they are scattered chasing shad this time of year. The big fish are out in deep water chasing the just hatched shad or back in the trees recovering. There is a very large break on the west side of the lake in the timber. You can troll cranks limit out in good time out in the deep water over the river channel. Lots of 12 inch fish right now. If you just want to jig fish then your a tree dippin or your going to have to find a good pile in 12 to 25ft of water. I know you don't want to hear it but a minnow on a hook with a sinker will out fish a minnow 5 to 1 right now and you can still feel the thump. Some buddies have been limiting on piles using minnow fished by jig fisherman 2 minutes earlier who said there where no fish there and watched them strike out. Take it for what it's worth... I haven't been on HD in a while an don't plan on going there for a while.

Good Luck and happy fishing.
    It's not duck season so I have to do something... :D

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

hey Snaggedagain, I got an uncle Bryan he lives in Desoto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast