Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish String Or Livewell

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish String Or Livewell

Many years ago 10 -15, I read an article in a fishing mag that stated that fish on a string will spook other fish where fish in a livewell won't. Something to do with a fear scent or sound a captured fish gives off. I've often wondered if there is anything to it. In my 14' Duracraft it sure is nice to just put them on a string and drop them over the side. I have a floating minnow bucket that actually attracts big bass. Could a big fish be attracted to minnows and repelled by a string lot of big fish in one spot?
    (Like a crowded supermarket:D ) What's your opinion?
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

I read that too Fin..I don't know if its true or not..I have had fish on a stringer before and have seen other fish swimming around them.Then again maybe they were on a rescue mission..LOL:D

Post Thanks / Like

When I was growing up and would go fishing with my grandpa his boat never had a livewell. We would throw the basket of fish on the side of the boat. We never had any trouble catching anymore fish. So IMHO I don't think that really matters.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

burghangler Guest

I use the mesh fish bag, works great untill you forget to pull it in and gets caught in trolling motor. Also my buddy forgot to pull down the bag tie thing, and about 30 crappie and gills got out, I have never let him live that one down.

Post Thanks / Like

Around here, the biggest downside to using a stringer are the turtles who will help themselves to your catch. We either use the livewell or a mesh basket. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to getting a boat, I used the floating basket and I loved it. I still keep one in the bed of my truck. Nothing beats the live well right now, though. It auto aerates every 5-10 minutes, and I haven't had a problem with keeping fish alive. As far as fish giving off a "danger scent," I can't even begin to speculate on that....that's something I've always wondered about, though.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

Had an oldtimer tell me one time that that was how he knew that he was close to a school of crappie because his metal stringer of fish would start rattling on the side of his flatbottom.

He said that the fish on the stringer could sense the other crappie close by and would get active on the stringer. He usually has good stringers of nice sized crappie so who knows, he may be on to something.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I have often wondered the same thing. I like to wade fish for crappie. I tie my stringer close to me, thinking that if the fish have more line to swim around on,it will spook fish. Who knows? I will have to admit that when it warms up and the snakes are out in full force, snakes don't scare me, but when that stringer of fish hit you on the back of your leg,I get spooked. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I just trow them in a cooler with a bag of ice, stay fresh all day, and don't have to worry about them getting loose, dying, or spooking other fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Once it gets too hot to keep them alive easily I'll put them in a cooler with 2 frozen 2 litre bottles of ice. When I get to the house and eat I can even take a "power nap" before I have to clean my fish!

Another neat thing is that the fish firm up in the ice and seem to fillet easier.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast