Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Computer Related ....

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Computer Related ....

Just a note to all those computer users that are currently using Ad-Aware 6.0 or an earlier version. Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (for those who may not know) is a free, downloadable program that you can run to scan your system for "adware", "malware", and other "cookies" or programs planted in your system (without you knowing it or asking for them).
    Uninstall your current Ad-Aware 6.0 or lower version and go to the Lavasoft website ......... install the new Ad-Aware SE Personal download :D ... it's the latest and greatest !! I've used Ad-Aware for years ... upgrading to the 6.0 version when it came out. It got rid of a lot of junk in its time ... but, it was getting really slow and wasn't picking up anything much. When I switched to SE, and ran a scan .... it found 256 adware programs that had gone unnoticed by the 6.0 version. And it take only about 10mins to do a deep scan (and less to do a "smart system scan" ... the quick version). I'm running a 3+ year old Dell P3 1G system with 512SDRAM memory and my OS is MS ME. The Ad-Aware SE ad removal program will work with Windows 98 thru XP. It's "freeware" for personal use.
    Here's a download site you can use :
    www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

.................cp

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Just a note to all those computer users that are currently using Ad-Aware 6.0 or an earlier version. Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (for those who may not know) is a free, downloadable program that you can run to scan your system for "adware", "malware", and other "cookies" or programs planted in your system (without you knowing it or asking for them).
    Uninstall your current Ad-Aware 6.0 or lower version and go to the Lavasoft website ......... install the new Ad-Aware SE Personal download :D ... it's the latest and greatest !! I've used Ad-Aware for years ... upgrading to the 6.0 version when it came out. It got rid of a lot of junk in its time ... but, it was getting really slow and wasn't picking up anything much. When I switched to SE, and ran a scan .... it found 256 adware programs that had gone unnoticed by the 6.0 version. And it take only about 10mins to do a deep scan (and less to do a "smart system scan" ... the quick version). I'm running a 3+ year old Dell P3 1G system with 512SDRAM memory and my OS is MS ME. The Ad-Aware SE ad removal program will work with Windows 98 thru XP. It's "freeware" for personal use.

.................cp

CP, I presently have the 6.0 version and like it very well but I will give the new version a try. For some reason I always have problems downloading from a website. I'll let you know if I need help.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Service pack 2 and XP....

For the XP platform users......I loaded Service pack 2 almost two months ago, and have been fighting errors, lock-ups and slow operation since. Microsoft wouldn't provide help because it was installed at Dell. I contacted Dell and they reccomended that I delete the "fix" called Service pack 2 immediately before any more damage was done. He also said Microsoft was working to put together an "improved version" that would replace it. I now have critical losses of some of my operating files.....doesn't effect the computer except that I cannot turn it off without having to "restore" back to a date prior to loading SP 2 to access the 'net. Dell is sending a tech to see what can be done to restore the lost files. I'm just about ready to change my platform back to Win. 2000 or ME. I don't think I'm going to jump on MSN's next XP fix 'til I know more about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried these different operating systems. 98 Second Edition, Millenium and XP. Been running 2000 Professional for over a year. NO PROBLEMS at all. Millenium has a lot of locking up and restore issues. XP is a snitch program. It scans your hard drive and uploads any unauthorized programs to Microsoft.(Burnt or copied software). Totally deleted all Explorer Browser in March and went to Netcape 7.2. Mozilla is also really good. Totally stable with free pop-up killer, spam filter and security filters.

www.netcape.com
    www.mozilla.org
    www.grisoft.com MY anti-virus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip, fatboy. I wanted to have a look at Netscape anyway. Their site must be down at the moment, will try again later......

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on , went by memory, putting google on it, will change addy

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, went by memory, this should work for you. Try 7.2.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey CP

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy

.................cp
    I got the new version downloaded and like it a lot better than 6.0....Thanks for the info. Have a great day and tell Paul hello.......
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Netscape.....

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    Hang on , went by memory, putting google on it, will change addy
    I can relate to memory deficits.....with me it's kind of like trying to carry water in a 5 gallon bucket with a 2 inch hole in the bottom. A few steps and it's gone. Now what did I do with that water? BTW, I got your PM, and the link works.

Thanks again, fatboy!