PDA

View Full Version : Minnows Died Help Please

FIN
03-22-2006, 08:55 PM
:o Regretfully You all will think I had some brews or something. A couple of weeks ago we had temps in the upper seventies. I bought 50 minnows and put the in a 48qt 5 day cooler with a spray type aerator . I added a half teaspoon of aquarium salt they lasted over a week and stayed healthy. I left the top open and ran the aerator a few minutes once in a while.
Yesterday I got 50# more put them in a 18 qt cooler with the same aerator and a little salt. I close the top and let the aerator run. I checked this mourning 24 hours later and they were all dead:mad:
Even though the temps were in the thirties the water in the tank was very warm. I think the problem was caused by leaving the top closed which caused the water to get to warm and reduce O2. "MY BAD" What do you think?
I should have put a vent in the cooler even a High output aerator wont work in a air tight container right?

Crappisaurusrex
03-22-2006, 09:23 PM
I m not sure what caused them to die. Last Friday bought 12 doz none died. sat bought another 12 doz and at least 1/4 of them died. I dont know why. I know it doesn't help when the bait shop people handle the miners one by one. I wish they would use something like they use for crickets. If you figure anything out let us know.

FIN
03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Well What surprised me was the water in the cooler was very warm when the outside temp was in the thirties. I guess the pump heated it up. I just thought the cooler wasn't air tight and some air would get in . I closed the lid so the minnows wouldn't jump out. I know dumb!
I'll know better next time.
FIN

Crappisaurusrex
03-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Well What surprised me was the water in the cooler was very warm when the outside temp was in the thirties. I guess the pump heated it up. I just thought the cooler wasn't air tight and some air would get in . I closed the lid so the minnows wouldn't jump out. I know dumb!
FIN
LOL if they "jump" out they deserve to be set free!!:) :)

TOMMY4UA
03-22-2006, 09:38 PM
I Had Bought A Aerator That Sit Down In The Water And It Would Produce A Lot Of Heat Like That.overnight The Water Would Be Like Bath Water.i Bought Me A Bubbler From Bass Pro That Has Two Air Stones And It Works Great

FIN
03-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I Had Bought A Aerator That Sit Down In The Water And It Would Produce A Lot Of Heat Like That.overnight The Water Would Be Like Bath Water.i Bought Me A Bubbler From Bass Pro That Has Two Air Stones And It Works Great
I got the same one I think. $20.00 at wmart. an air bubbler cost 10.
FIN

crappiekiller2
03-22-2006, 09:43 PM
FIN
I've done the same thing. I use Power Bubbles from Bass pro or cabelas. It uses very little current and pump air into the water at the current air temp.
I have used it in my boat bait well and live well with temps in the 90s and have had good luck. Overnight losses are less than other things I have tried.
Power Bubbles does not transfer heat from the pump to the water. :)

Matt Smith
03-22-2006, 10:11 PM
You didn't say if you changed the water. If you didn't, then I'd suspect that ammonia killed 'em. You need to change their water at least a couple times a day.

ricky
03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
If the water got cloudy that has to do with the waste, that will kill them. The water has to be changed out. If your water has chlorine you have to treat it with something that will remove it, I get mine at W-Mart. I keep a 2.5 gal. bucket in an old fridge in the garage to keep some water cold. Depending on the temp put the cold water in the cooler to keep the minnows cool, but not too much at a time. I use a large coffee can to remove some of the old water everyday then put 1 can in at a time where they won't cool off too fast. Also helps to know what the temp is, you can get a cheap thermometer at W-Mart for a couple of bucks. If it gets hoter you will have to cool the water more (twice or more). This works for me. :)

FIN
03-22-2006, 10:23 PM
The water was cloudy some I went down to the creek and got a couple of gallons of water to add. The water that came with the minnows was treated for ammonia. I think if I had left the top cracked so fresh air could have gotten in that would have made the biggest diff the water got pretty hot from the pump. Actually they would have lived if I'd just left the pump off i think. UI have one of those bubble aerators that us 2 d Bats . Just didn't think about the pump heating the water.

FIN
03-22-2006, 10:40 PM
All I needed was a 120v multi event timer which cost less than the minnows at Big Lots $3.49. I have one Connected to my hot water heater works like a dream. Live and learn.
FIN

TexFisher
03-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Ok guys, I am at a loss. Why is everyone keeping minners at their house? Is it to facilitate getting on the lake quicker? I have never thought of keeping them at my house, I just usually stop on the way to the fishin hole. Thanks, TF

FIN
03-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I live 50 yds from one lake and a mile from the other and 15m from the baitshop. Minnows usually last a week I just made a mistake. I picked up some while I was in town and didn't intend to go back for several days. I let the aerator run too long with the top closed and suffocated the minnows cause the pump heated the water. Oh well Next time I'll keep the minnows in the big cooler with a timer on the aerator. That will work. I guess?

roybuoy
03-23-2006, 06:38 AM
keep water clean and cool

driller
03-23-2006, 06:44 AM
The top should have been left off the container. You par-boiled your minners.

Actually a decent aerator will help get rid of the ammonia in the water by letting more of it to turn to a gas and drift away. Over crowding a tank will cause a deadly rise in the ammonia level.

papasage
03-23-2006, 07:09 AM
i have a mattres pump the kind that keeps a air mattress pumped up it has 2 outlets . one pumps a while then it changes to the other . i put one in one coller and the other in anothe r with a 6" aquarum stone on them . have kept minows for several weaks change water ever few dayes when it gits to cloudy or smell . used it at the ga. slab fest had 10 lbs small shinners in it . they stayed alive there 3 dayes brought them home kept them over a month . i would lose 3 to 5 every day . guess some will die no matter what you do .

FIN
03-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks a lot for the helpful info.
FIN

unknown 5
03-24-2006, 08:02 AM
If you used water out of your tap, the clorine killed them. Use untreated water.
The warm water didn't kill them if it had oxygen from the bubbler.

FIN
03-26-2006, 12:50 PM
I fixed it. I took out the sprayer and installed a new aquarium bubble aerator I also picked up a 12v -120v converter from Big lots. Three days I have 1 dead minnow and I think I injured it with the dip net :)
Things are looking up.
FIN

kycrappie
03-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Well, I usually get a couple dozen minnows in a insulated bucket and throw in some ice cubes and they will last for a week or so without changing the water.
Also, I used to work at a marina that sold minnows and we would always keep a large block of ice in the tank which seemed to keep them alive longer.

hogpaw
03-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Ok guys, I am at a loss. Why is everyone keeping minners at their house? Is it to facilitate getting on the lake quicker? I have never thought of keeping them at my house, I just usually stop on the way to the fishin hole. Thanks, TF

We can purchase minnows by the pound and save money.

crappie10
03-26-2006, 08:37 PM
most definitely it was caused by the pump overheating the water. at least keep the lid propped open and it wouldn't hurt to add ice and change out some of the water

Moose1am
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I have one of them pumps that sits in the water. It definately will heat up the water a lot. I had some crappie in a cooler that I left out on the back deck overnight with the pump running. The next morning the water was warm and it was November. It was cold outside that night but the water stayed toasty warm due to the heat from that pump. I didn't know that the pump would put out that much heat. Surprised me.

most definitely it was caused by the pump overheating the water. at least keep the lid propped open and it wouldn't hurt to add ice and change out some of the water

Pomoxis 2
03-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Definitely the heat killed them and the fact that the lid was closed. You were right all along, after the fact.
Any aerator that has the pump motor in the water will heat the water. That is bad, period. Warmer water cannot hold as much oxygen as colder water. Even worse, warmer fish NEED more oxygen. When you eliminate the availability of new oxygen by closing the lid, you get exactly what you got.
The best type of aerator for storing bait at home is a 120V bubble type, with diffuser stones, like for aquariums. You added some aq salt, perfect. They will survive for very many days in that setup, even if you don't change any water. Bacteria can reduce the ammonia levels, use some lake water for that. You can add bacteria cultures for long term storage, it is used in aquariums all the time. Keep 'em in the shade and don't overcrowd and don't get your hopes real high in the summer.
Just to prove a point to my friend, I setup an aquarium with angelfish and grew them for two and a half years. They grew to record size before they died. I never removed a drop of water the whole time, just kept adding DI water.