Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Circle hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Circle hooks

Do any use circle hooks for brim? If so what size and where can you buy hooks that small? Will they work under a cork, wife has to have a cork? Not real up on brim fishing but love the taste.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle claw kahle hook #6 or #8 work great w/ worms or crickets. The fish basically hook themselves, and you get fewer gut hooks. You can also put a minnow on em and crappie fish.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use circle hooks for bream. I do use very sensitive floats which almost totally eliminate gut hooking.

The smallest circle hooks I've seen would be too big for most bream. I think you'd have to make your own. You could get some light Aberdeen hooks and bend them.

Post Thanks / Like

We use very small red octopus hooks for trout fishing that would be smal lenough for bluegill, but I prefer a small baitholder. Any time I've hooked a bluegill on a circle hook while fishing for crappie, I've had trouble with it penetrating the eyeball or eye socket. The only way to safely remove it is to cut off the protruding barb end and withdraw the rest of the hook through the mouth. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

6 or 8 long shank for crickets...I like a soft hook makes it easier to unsnag .

Post Thanks / Like

my husband has recently starting using circle hooks. we've had good luck with them. but as mentioned above, you want to remove or bend down the barb in case the hook goes thru the eye. we remove the barb on all our hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get very small circle hooks from Catfish Connection. Just look them up on the web. I used them last year on bream and they worked wonderfully. Fish get hooked in the lips almost every time and very seldom swallow the hook. I tried them because I was tired of bream swallowing the hook.