Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep Crappies

I never had to fish for Crappie's deep in California to catch them, but here in Louisiana it's obvious that I will have to. I was fishing Vernon Lake today fish finder going crazy. Water was 30-35 ft deep and fish were 18-25 ft deep. Now I'm sure they weren't all Crappie, but I'm sure some of them were. I used 4 different colors 3, different size jig heads, with Crappie Nibbles, and without. All the fish I seen on my finder and not one fish. A few nibbles, but that's it. I was vertically jigging, and had another rod in the water just sitting. Like I said I'm new to fishing deep for Crappie's, so what am I doing wrong or what can I do better??

Thank you!!
    Luck has nothing to do with it, it's how you wiggle your worm.

Post Thanks / Like

In the southern states they go deep when it gets hot.
    A crappie day fishin beats working any day!!

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Missouri and they go deep but it depends on the clarity and the thermal kline as fare as how deep. I also found that crappie in the heat of the day tend to bite the crank bait then if I get a hot spot I hit them with a live minnow. Live bait seems to work the best. I love nibblers and would rather use them but switch to the minnow shortly after the spawn. Small works best for me.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

In open water, they can be really hard to get to bite sometimes. Seems like they bite better if they're near some kind of structure. Cast curly tail grubs with a slow retrieve can work good sometimes in deep water. You use the count down method to determine your depth. Also, probably would have caught them using live bait on a tight line rig.
    Simple Life = Better Life

Post Thanks / Like

pull some cranks, active fish will bite, most won't be active so cover lots of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Try slip bobbers. I'd drop a small 1/32 oz. jig head with a 2" Senko wacky hooked. If that doesn't turn 'em, go home!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My best deep water rig is a Kentucky rig or drop shot rig. Look for a stickie at the top of this forum. Welcome from Alabama.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sir, most helpful and much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you get a cranks 20-25 ft down? I have a jointed shad rap BSD Blue Shad, I think it goes down to about 8-12 ft I'm guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whitten1823 View Post
    How do you get a cranks 20-25 ft down? I have a jointed shad rap BSD Blue Shad, I think it goes down to about 8-12 ft I'm guessing.
    Bandit Depth Chart

Other brands of cranks run deeper than bandit. Also you can push rather than pull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast