PDA

View Full Version : Daily limit and possession limit survey

headhunter
03-22-2006, 09:53 AM
How does everyone interpret the possession limit law? If you have 2 limits in your freezer, then you have to eat some crappie to fish some more? If you give crappie away to someone are they still part of your possession limit until the people you gave the fish to eat them? What do you think?

crappiencali
03-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I think a lot of us would be in trouble. LOL

CrappiePappy
03-22-2006, 10:53 AM
as defined by the KDFWR:

"... Possession limit is the maximum number of sport fish a person may hold, in the field , after two or more days of fishing"

By that wording ... it's my understanding that "possession limit" does not refer to how many you can keep "stored" at home -- but, how many you can "take home", after one continuous outing of two or more days. By that interpretation, if you spend more than two days on the water, fishing .... you may only have two daily limits of fish per person, in your possession, while you are away from home. Once you get home ... you wipe the "limit" slate clean, and start from scratch when you return to the water. ........... cp :cool:

headhunter
03-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Here is a reply from a TWRA infoman on the Tndeer website:

The daily creel limit is the number of fish that you personally can catch and creel. The fish that you catch are your fish even if you give them away. If three people go fishing, each person must catch his own fish. One person cannot catch all three limits. If you catch fish and give them away, they are still counted as part of your limit.

Possession limit is twice the daily creel limit. These are the total fish that you have. If you have a limit on the lake and one in the freezer, that is your possession limit. Each licensed person in the household is allowed to catch and possess fish. One person cannot legally catch a possession limit for other people in the household.

You can give fish to anyone you like away from the lake. Those fish are still part of your possession limit until eaten.

This is the regulation until changed.

David Waters
03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
well........ yall just please send me a pack of cigarettes and some vasoline. I am headed to the big house.

ejones1961
03-22-2006, 11:27 AM
in the 2006 Tennessee Fishing Regulations it says
" The posession limit is twice the daily creel limit. You may not have more than the daily creel limit while afield."

CrappiePappy
03-22-2006, 11:31 AM

The daily creel limit is the number of fish that you personally can catch and creel. The fish that you catch are your fish even if you give them away. If three people go fishing, each person must catch his own fish. One person cannot catch all three limits. If you catch fish and give them away, they are still counted as part of your limit.

Possession limit is twice the daily creel limit. These are the total fish that you have. If you have a limit on the lake and one in the freezer, that is your possession limit. Each licensed person in the household is allowed to catch and possess fish. One person cannot legally catch a possession limit for other people in the household.

You can give fish to anyone you like away from the lake. Those fish are still part of your possession limit until eaten.

are they supposed to enforce that :confused: I think that's a little extreme, and unlikely to be enforceable. But then ... possession limits are one of the least likely laws to be enforced, anyway. ........ cp :cool:

headhunter
03-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Crappiepappy, I agree that it is least enforced but I have been talking to an officer and he feels this issue should be addressed. In Kentucky, what is posted here is correct and I do not see why Tennessee should not be the same. We need to let our thoughts be known or I will say that many fisherman are illegal unknowingly. If nothing else "possession limit" needs to be CLEARLY defined in the regulations.

CrappiePappy
03-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Crappiepappy, I agree that it is least enforced but I have talking to an officer and he feels this issue should be addressed. In Kentucky, what is posted here is correct and I do not see why Tennessee should not be the same. We need to let our thoughts be known or I will say that many fisherman are illegal unknowingly. If nothing else "possession limit" needs to be CLEARLY defined in the regulations.

If "ignorance of the law" is not a legal defense ... then a more explicit explanation of the law should be posted. Otherwise, we may all be joining Mr Waters, in the "pokey" :eek: ......... cp :cool:

David Waters
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
I get top bunk pappy!!

buflew
03-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Yea yall make room for one more! I haven't even really got on the fish yet but I have ate alot and have alot in the freezer I thought if you made it home with them they was yours I guess getting the wife to meet me at the ramp to carry a cooler full home while i stay and catch more isn't legal either

fishintiger
03-22-2006, 12:10 PM

That's it I'm turning you all in for being over your possession limit. :D I don't catch enough fish in a year to be over my two day limit.

Now if three people are in a boat, and there is only one live well and there are say 45 crappies in the livewell. (Tennessee's limit is 30 per person right?) Who is going to remember which crappies they caught and how many they caught? If they were to get "searched" I would venture to say that the 3 of them are going to say they all caught the same amount. I know if the fish were biting good and we were "slaying" them I wouldn't keep a personal count as long as there was a boat count and we didn't go over the daily limit.

Bones
03-22-2006, 12:16 PM
That's why I keep mine in my neighbors freezer. I didn't want to be nervous everytime someone pulled into the driveway, peeking through the blinds every 5 minutes. It's on them now. I sneak over there and grab a bag of filets when i get ready to eat some.:D

mighty
03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Yall be quiet they might be watching us.:D

And i just got a new, bigger, crappie holder oops I mean deep freezer.

Be blessed:eek:

lee s.
03-22-2006, 02:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Someone must feed a LOT of people to need more than a couple limits worth of fillets laying around the freezer. ;)
We try to bring home only "tonight's" dinner. With bigger type fishes we DO need to freeze some. Even then we find we have to be real diligent, or freezer burn ruins the fish.....and very quickly.:mad:
Of course we are fortunate that there is open water year round and many different targets locally. If we had that much fish in the freezer, the bride would probably try to curtail many of our "expiditions".:rolleyes:
.....lee s.

Bones
03-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, when my family has fish it is a big to do. Everybody comes out on fish sunday. We need 80-90 filets per meal to feed everyone usually. We try to have it a couple of times per month during good fishing times and back it down to once a month during slow times. I DO NOT like running out of fish. I get all panicky and nervous when I don't have any fish in the freezer. The nightmares start then of fishing in barren waters and mud puddles. I can't handle that. Maybe it's because I'm the only real fisherman in the family and all the others are just fish eaters.:confused:

Eager Beaver
03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Possession is the total number of a species of fish that a person may have in possession in portable coolers, home freezers registered in his name in a commercial freezer, or in any other way under their control. This comes right from the Fishing Guide in Ne.

Eager Beaver
03-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Possession is the total number of a species of fish that a person may have in possession in portable coolers, home freezers registered in his name in a commercial freezer, or in any other way under their control. This comes right from the Fishing Guide in Ne.
Can't make it any planer than that, and yes they do prosacute violators here. Think about this the next time you brag about how many fish you have in your freezer at home. That is usually how they find them.

Jumping Cholla Jigs
03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Its easy here... No limit either way! Right now some are catching and keeping around 220 (around 100 fish) pounds a day. The spawn is on and its time to buy a bigger freezer.

Our possesion limits though for other fish are twice the daily bag limit "in possesion", period. Doesnt matter if they are frozen at home or in the cooler at the lake.

skiptomylu
03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
How does everyone interpret the possession limit law? If you have 2 limits in your freezer, then you have to eat some crappie to fish some more? If you give crappie away to someone are they still part of your possession limit until the people you gave the fish to eat them? What do you think?

All I can tell you about is in Texas and this is what I got off their web site:

Possession limit does not apply to wildlife resources in the possession of or stored by a person at their permanent residence.

Permanent Residence: One's principal or ordinary home or dwelling place. This does not include one's temporary abode or dwelling such as a hunting/fishing club, or any club house, cabin, tent, car, truck, or trailer house used as a hunting/fishing club, or any hotel, motel, or rooming house used during a hunting, fishing, pleasure, or business trip.

Wildlife Resources: Any wild animal, wild bird, or aquatic life.

chaunc
03-22-2006, 05:19 PM
So that means that 2 people can keep 4 limits of crappies for a whole week, right? thats only 120 crappies, 240 fillets. Now there's no limit on bluegill, shellcrackers, yellow perch, yellow stripes, and catfish is there? I use to put a variety of fish in each bag but i guess i cant do it that way anymore or i'll be breaking the law wont i. :eek:

CrappiePappy
03-22-2006, 07:09 PM
So that means that 2 people can keep 4 limits of crappies for a whole week, right? thats only 120 crappies, 240 fillets. Now there's no limit on bluegill, shellcrackers, yellow perch, yellow stripes, and catfish is there? I use to put a variety of fish in each bag but i guess i cant do it that way anymore or i'll be breaking the law wont i. :eek:

but, if you are fishing within the KY borders of those lakes (and holding a KY "non-resident" license - you are correct on your count of the Crappie "possession" limit.
You also need to know:
Shellcracker (Readear Sunfish) have been declared a "sport fish", in the state of KY, as of 2006 ... and now have a daily limit of 20 / possession limit of 40 - no size limit.

Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Yellow Bass, and Catfish do not have a size limit ... but, Yellow Bass, White Bass, & Hybrid Striped Bass do have a daily limit of 15 & possession limit of 30 (and no more than 5 of those, in your daily limit, may be more than 15" long). I assume you are referring to Yellow Bass, by the name "yellow stripes". ............ cp :cool:

chaunc
03-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks CP. Coming down next weekend from Pa. and needed to know the new stuff. 20 shellcrackers...... i've never caught more than 10, in a whole week :D

Moose1am
03-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Good Sportsman know the rules and abide by them.

roybuoy
03-23-2006, 06:36 AM
they are not taking me alive,lol

c1bigocarp
03-23-2006, 09:01 AM
If they catch you with over your limit in the freezer, do they confiscate your freezer just like a deer poachers truck and guns. Do they take your fishing rods and special jigs too!? Boat!? This could get serious. I am also going to put them in my neighbors freezer and sneek over when I need some. Too risky! I just bought a new fishing rod. Do not want to lose it!

chaunc
03-23-2006, 01:07 PM
If they catch you with over your limit in the freezer, do they confiscate your freezer just like a deer poachers truck and guns. Do they take your fishing rods and special jigs too!? Boat!? This could get serious. I am also going to put them in my neighbors freezer and sneek over when I need some. Too risky! I just bought a new fishing rod. Do not want to lose it!

:confused: I think this is getting a little extreme here. :rolleyes: :eek:

Eager Beaver
03-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Depending on how much you are over the limit you loose your right to a license for certain amount of years, On top of the fines and jail term. A few years back a couple of guys lost there right to a license for life. Can't remember how much over but was really extreme. They went to jail for several years.

Eager Beaver
03-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I think it was last year that a local guide took a sports writer and a game warden walleye fishing on one of the bigger lakes around here. Writing the article for the Sunday Paper he bragged about how good the guide was and that even tho they all limited out, that it was the guide that caught most of the fish. The director of the Fish and Game dept. called the Game Warden and made him go back and give the guide a ticket for over his limit of fish. The Game Warden also got a citation for not ticketing the guide when it happened.

FIN
03-23-2006, 01:47 PM
I can't answer this. I've lived next to popular lakes for 48 years. Where people fish everyday "in the rain to". There has never been a inspection of license, equipment or possession?
FIN

Illinoisgiller
03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
I've got a situation that I haven't asked a warden about. I hold a license in Illinois and Iowa. The king put a 25 fish bluegill limit for the Mississippi river in each state.Either state license can fish shore to shore.
I am assuming that if I have 26 gills, and checked by the IL. wardons, the excuse that I caught the other one on the Iowa license would fall on less than understanding ears. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
We have a LOT of Illinois State lakes that have a 10 bluegill limit. I generally read that as . "This is Illinois State property, If your family is hungry, go to a burger joint.:mad: :

chaunc
03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
10 bluegills limit....:eek: those must be some pretty big bluegills.:confused: Does anybody still fish those limit lakes?

crappiequeennc
03-23-2006, 07:24 PM
I have been stopped by the game warden more than once in my years of fishing.I have never had one to ask me how many fish I had at home in my freezer.:)

kygorski
03-24-2006, 06:48 AM
There was aguy in northern indiana who was socked with a good fine for having more than the legal possesion in his freezer.Seems this guy was a wiz at fishing for spring salmon, and some disgruntled fishermen turned him in.In miinesota, you have to leave a skin tab on ALL fillets, and heaven help you if they stop you and you are in violation.They have taken cars and boats in some cases.It dosn't hurt to put some back.

belizaire
03-24-2006, 07:45 AM
here in louisiana bag limit is what you have in the feild and possession is what you have at your home. here you're your possession limit is two daily bag limits but like every were else it is not enforced down here.

Illinoisgiller
03-24-2006, 08:16 AM
chaunc- In most cases they are NOT big gills.The state of IL. is nearing the end of a 10 YEAR study, thinking that highly restrictive limits will produce big bluegill. This study is of course ,controversial. I'm thinking that a 10 year reduction of state leaders salery would make the bluegill much larger while delighting the fishermen. At least this one. lol

papasage
03-24-2006, 08:40 AM
some one told me that a game warden can come in a check your freezer with out a warent in fla. that is how they catch drug dealers .

skiptomylu
03-24-2006, 09:16 AM
some one told me that a game warden can come in a check your freezer with out a warent in fla. that is how they catch drug dealers .

That is why drug enforcement guys use to take a federal game Warden with them on raids. Federal Game Wardens have a lot of power.