Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daily limit and possession limit survey

headhunter Guest

Default Daily limit and possession limit survey

How does everyone interpret the possession limit law? If you have 2 limits in your freezer, then you have to eat some crappie to fish some more? If you give crappie away to someone are they still part of your possession limit until the people you gave the fish to eat them? What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of us would be in trouble. LOL
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation "Possession Limit" .....

as defined by the KDFWR:

"... Possession limit is the maximum number of sport fish a person may hold, in the field , after two or more days of fishing"

By that wording ... it's my understanding that "possession limit" does not refer to how many you can keep "stored" at home -- but, how many you can "take home", after one continuous outing of two or more days. By that interpretation, if you spend more than two days on the water, fishing .... you may only have two daily limits of fish per person, in your possession, while you are away from home. Once you get home ... you wipe the "limit" slate clean, and start from scratch when you return to the water. ........... cp

headhunter Guest

Here is a reply from a TWRA infoman on the Tndeer website:

The daily creel limit is the number of fish that you personally can catch and creel. The fish that you catch are your fish even if you give them away. If three people go fishing, each person must catch his own fish. One person cannot catch all three limits. If you catch fish and give them away, they are still counted as part of your limit.

Possession limit is twice the daily creel limit. These are the total fish that you have. If you have a limit on the lake and one in the freezer, that is your possession limit. Each licensed person in the household is allowed to catch and possess fish. One person cannot legally catch a possession limit for other people in the household.

You can give fish to anyone you like away from the lake. Those fish are still part of your possession limit until eaten.

This is the regulation until changed.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

well........ yall just please send me a pack of cigarettes and some vasoline. I am headed to the big house.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

in the 2006 Tennessee Fishing Regulations it says
    " The posession limit is twice the daily creel limit. You may not have more than the daily creel limit while afield."

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question And just how in the heck ...

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter
    Here is a reply from a TWRA infoman on the Tndeer website:

The daily creel limit is the number of fish that you personally can catch and creel. The fish that you catch are your fish even if you give them away. If three people go fishing, each person must catch his own fish. One person cannot catch all three limits. If you catch fish and give them away, they are still counted as part of your limit.

Possession limit is twice the daily creel limit. These are the total fish that you have. If you have a limit on the lake and one in the freezer, that is your possession limit. Each licensed person in the household is allowed to catch and possess fish. One person cannot legally catch a possession limit for other people in the household.

You can give fish to anyone you like away from the lake. Those fish are still part of your possession limit until eaten.

This is the regulation until changed.
    are they supposed to enforce that I think that's a little extreme, and unlikely to be enforceable. But then ... possession limits are one of the least likely laws to be enforced, anyway. ........ cp

headhunter Guest

Crappiepappy, I agree that it is least enforced but I have been talking to an officer and he feels this issue should be addressed. In Kentucky, what is posted here is correct and I do not see why Tennessee should not be the same. We need to let our thoughts be known or I will say that many fisherman are illegal unknowingly. If nothing else "possession limit" needs to be CLEARLY defined in the regulations.
    Last edited by headhunter; 03-22-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up You're exactly correct ......

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter
    Crappiepappy, I agree that it is least enforced but I have talking to an officer and he feels this issue should be addressed. In Kentucky, what is posted here is correct and I do not see why Tennessee should not be the same. We need to let our thoughts be known or I will say that many fisherman are illegal unknowingly. If nothing else "possession limit" needs to be CLEARLY defined in the regulations.

If "ignorance of the law" is not a legal defense ... then a more explicit explanation of the law should be posted. Otherwise, we may all be joining Mr Waters, in the "pokey" ......... cp

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I get top bunk pappy!!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast