Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Farm Subsidies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on Farm Subsidies

First, I want everyone to know that I am an american farmer and damn proud of it. I take great pride in knowing that I grow food to feed our great nation. My dad and I farm around 1200 acres. We grow cotton, soybeans and peanuts. I know for the average person, farming is a boring subject but there seems to be a political firestorm on the rise when it comes to subsidies. This is going to be another big issue in the next couple of years as congress will begin to write the next farm bill and decide how much tax payer money will go to help keep farmers afloat. Some people don't understand why they are having to pay so much in taxes to farmers so I will give my opinions and why I think that we will have to continue to subsidise farmers.

First of all, don't let anyone tell you we are the most efficient farmers in the world. We once were but now that a cotton picker cost over 300,000 dollars when they were once a tenth of that cost you might begin to see why we are having so much trouble staying afloat. In 1993 a bag of cotton seed cost about 40$ a bag. Now a bag of cotton will run about 300$ a bag. Farming is the only business in this country that can't pass expense increases on to the consumers. The price of cotton right now is around 45 cent a pound. Break even price is 55 to 60 cent a pound depending on your expenses and yield.

Why are prices so low? Mainly because of foreign competition created by poorly created free trade deals that don't do much for american farmers. Our government has helped to create free trade deals that don't keep workers wages in mind. We are competing with farmers in China that only get paid 50 cents a day. If they were paid what we need to be paid to make it then we would be able to beat them because of our technology. Many of these countries want our farm subsidies halted because they blame them for running prices so low when in fact if they had the expenses we have they would go out of business. Subsidies are the equalizer when it comes to labor cost. Our country had 75 million farmers before the depression. Now there are only 2 and a half million farmers left that do the work of those 75 million. That is all crops that are grown divided amongst us. China has 54 million cotton farmers that still pick cotton by hand and only get paid 50 cents a day.

You can begin to see why these subsidies are important. If we go out of business then this country will fall. There is not enough food grown around the world to cover our needs if we go out of business. I don't like knowing that I have to recieve half of my income from the govenment to survive. I feel like I'm on welfare sometimes but I don't sit around on the front porch all day like some welfare recipiants do. I would like to know your opinions on this subject and will answer any questions that you have. Thanks. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey CF

A farmer, a lawyer and a doctor were sitting around a little diner one morning and got to discussing what they would do if they won the lottery. The doctor was an avid golfer and he said he'd buy himself a golf course and just play golf the rest of his life. The lawyer, he loved to sail, so he said he would buy a luxury sailboat and sail around the world. The farmer, he scratched his chin giving it some thought, and finally said, " I think I'll just keep farming till I go broke". I imagine that says it all about today's family farms. My area is mostly dairy farms here in N.E. PA. It's 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and it's about a tough as it can get for these fellows up here. I understand where you are coming from and the help you need. I hope things turn out favorably for you.

Post Thanks / Like

This posts strikes me in the heart. I was born and raised on a dairy farm. I started my working career at the age of four, not eighteen, but four. I started off bottle feeding the baby calves and bringing the cows in each night for milking. Then as i grew older, my jobs included feeding calves, milking in the a.m. and p.m. , cutting, tetting, raking and baling hay, hauling hay. Then as i got even older, my jobs were to milk, sew hay, feed calves, de-horn, (farmers know what that is), give shots, move cattle, plow, disc, sub-soil, spread manure with the spreader, keep the holding pen clean, help my neighbors with above things . I had a choice to make in 1990. I could carry on the family business of milking or using my degree to make thrice the money. I chose the money. A new four lane highway cut our farm exactly in half and in 1995 my father retired which meant the dairy was over. The bright spot is , he has been been retired nearly ten years, he has money in the bank, i have a good job. But if i had a dollar for everytime i wished i could de-horn, or rake or bale or feed baby calves again, i wouldn't be rich, but i would have a chunk of change. I will never ever forget the values instilled in me and the beliefs i have. I may be a "fatboy", but i have always worked hard and always will. I appreciate any farmers out there to continue to be controlled by the government. Yes the government. Seen all those GOT MILK? ads?
    The dairy farmers pay for those. That expense comes right out of their checks before they ever see them. I guess it is supposed to help advertise, but they had no say so in it. Growing up, there was four dairy farms in my direct area. Now, none. Sign of the times. God Bless Farmer, my heart is with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Farmers

When I went to Purdue it was with the intent of being a veternarian. I studied Pre Veternary Medicine for two straight years. My best friend in college is a Veternarian now and several of my fraternity brothers are veternarians. One is here in my home town and lives not too far from me. Another Fraternity brother sells John Deer Equipment and owns the local dealership. Another brother lives not too far from here in Owensboro, KY and he is a dairy farmer. We use to come home together during school breaks in his souped up Car. Another Fraternity Brother of mine owns a sheep farm in Griffin IN and his younger real life brother and I used to play Ice Hockey together and get together afterwards and drink beer at the local pup with the other older hockey players. We called ourselfs the "HUFF and PUFF" gang. LOL We were not teenagers anymore.

I belonged to the Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity house and lived with 70 other Fraternity Brothers at Purdue Delta Chapter for two years.

I didn't live on a farm but my grandfather had a farm and raised cattle, pigs and grew some crops. He also ran an Radio and TV repair shop. I can remember going to his farm and gathering eggs from the chicken coop for breakfast on weekends. This old rooster got me one day as I was walking into the pen. He was sitting there on the handle of this wheel barrow and when I got close to him he flew at me feet first. I ducked and he missed with those claws. I was about to ring his neck. Another time I was playing out in the yard by the bee hives and the bees were swarming. One got me right in the stomach and man that hurt. I can still remember the time the two calfs got out of the barn or fenced in area and we had to chase them though the garden. I remember picking peanuts out of the garden.

My dad was a organic gardner big time.

Most of my fraternity brothers lived on big farms and I was surprised by the amount of work and money that went into being a farmer.

Our troops would not have anything to eat if not for our farmers back home.

Earl Butts who was once the Secetary of Agriculture lived in the same Fraternity House that I lived in when I was at Delta Chapter.

Guess you might say that I am a friend of farmers too.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    First, I want everyone to know that I am an american farmer and damn proud of it. I take great pride in knowing that I grow food to feed our great nation. My dad and I farm around 1200 acres. We grow cotton, soybeans and peanuts. I know for the average person, farming is a boring subject but there seems to be a political firestorm on the rise when it comes to subsidies. This is going to be another big issue in the next couple of years as congress will begin to write the next farm bill and decide how much tax payer money will go to help keep farmers afloat. Some people don't understand why they are having to pay so much in taxes to farmers so I will give my opinions and why I think that we will have to continue to subsidise farmers.

First of all, don't let anyone tell you we are the most efficient farmers in the world. We once were but now that a cotton picker cost over 300,000 dollars when they were once a tenth of that cost you might begin to see why we are having so much trouble staying afloat. In 1993 a bag of cotton seed cost about 40$ a bag. Now a bag of cotton will run about 300$ a bag. Farming is the only business in this country that can't pass expense increases on to the consumers. The price of cotton right now is around 45 cent a pound. Break even price is 55 to 60 cent a pound depending on your expenses and yield.

Why are prices so low? Mainly because of foreign competition created by poorly created free trade deals that don't do much for american farmers. Our government has helped to create free trade deals that don't keep workers wages in mind. We are competing with farmers in China that only get paid 50 cents a day. If they were paid what we need to be paid to make it then we would be able to beat them because of our technology. Many of these countries want our farm subsidies halted because they blame them for running prices so low when in fact if they had the expenses we have they would go out of business. Subsidies are the equalizer when it comes to labor cost. Our country had 75 million farmers before the depression. Now there are only 2 and a half million farmers left that do the work of those 75 million. That is all crops that are grown divided amongst us. China has 54 million cotton farmers that still pick cotton by hand and only get paid 50 cents a day.

You can begin to see why these subsidies are important. If we go out of business then this country will fall. There is not enough food grown around the world to cover our needs if we go out of business. I don't like knowing that I have to recieve half of my income from the govenment to survive. I feel like I'm on welfare sometimes but I don't sit around on the front porch all day like some welfare recipiants do. I would like to know your opinions on this subject and will answer any questions that you have. Thanks. CF
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

A dairy or beef farmers favorite type of phone call: Ring, Ring, Hello? Your cows are out!!!! GREAT.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

my probablem with subsidising is after all that money you see farmers going to bankrupsey court all the time . driving a higher price car than the lawyer .that is if his wife aint gon shopping and need the linklon town car .then he is in the 4+4 with leather interior not over 4 or 5 years old with over size tires . all the boys over 16 has one too. i amnot saying all farmers are like that . i know some that have ben sucseful and his neighbor went under . the went under neighbor is the one with the linklon and 4+4`s. this is in all buisnes. i have seen others buisnesses go under and some in the same buisness progress . the bottom line is knowing how to run a buisness . if you can`t make it then git out . there is some that can make it .dont live beyond your means. i do work for farmers and other buisness men . they never make any money but when tax time comes they are grumbling about how much tax they have to pay .go figure . i have never had any subsisies in my buisness and ben in it 40 years . but my vann is a 1977 and over 200;000miles on it . never owned a new car or truck . never went bankrupsey.enough of that . git my old used 20 year old boat out and go fishing in the river . the farmer ownes the ponds and my tax money stocked it for free . but it is his familey pond ..;;,,>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    retired and now i will always fish

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    This posts strikes me in the heart. I was born and raised on a dairy farm. I started my working career at the age of four, not eighteen, but four. I started off bottle feeding the baby calves and bringing the cows in each night for milking. Then as i grew older, my jobs included feeding calves, milking in the a.m. and p.m. , cutting, tetting, raking and baling hay, hauling hay. Then as i got even older, my jobs were to milk, sew hay, feed calves, de-horn, (farmers know what that is), give shots, move cattle, plow, disc, sub-soil, spread manure with the spreader, keep the holding pen clean, help my neighbors with above things . I had a choice to make in 1990. I could carry on the family business of milking or using my degree to make thrice the money. I chose the money. A new four lane highway cut our farm exactly in half and in 1995 my father retired which meant the dairy was over. The bright spot is , he has been been retired nearly ten years, he has money in the bank, i have a good job. But if i had a dollar for everytime i wished i could de-horn, or rake or bale or feed baby calves again, i wouldn't be rich, but i would have a chunk of change. I will never ever forget the values instilled in me and the beliefs i have. I may be a "fatboy", but i have always worked hard and always will. I appreciate any farmers out there to continue to be controlled by the government. Yes the government. Seen all those GOT MILK? ads?
    The dairy farmers pay for those. That expense comes right out of their checks before they ever see them. I guess it is supposed to help advertise, but they had no say so in it. Growing up, there was four dairy farms in my direct area. Now, none. Sign of the times. God Bless Farmer, my heart is with you.
    Well put Fatboy. I can relate to you. When someone gets up at 4am they are suppose to go fishing, not have to milk a bunch of darn cows. I do fondly remember tho when we got automatic milkers. Those were the greatest things since sliced bread! And then there was our 1st John Deere that had an electric starter. Whoo hoo!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Farmers

The farmers that I know don't drive Lincoln Town cars,brand new four wheel drives, and live off subsidies>They drive 20,000 dollar tractors and drag about $30,000 worth of equipment around a field to keep $30,000 worth of cattle from starving thru winter.Most of them work public jobs and farm because they don't want to loose the land that there family has spent there life paying for.If you see people[I won't call them farmers]in fancy cars and trucks they are the welfare recipients the gentleman in the first post felt he belonged to.The farmers that actually recieve subsidies and derive there living from mother earth deserve our gratitude and respect.I do not make my living from farming but we still manage a family cattle farm mainly to instill the values in my son that I was brought up with.Crappiefarmer you take what our gov. gives you and be proud that you are man enough to put your future in mother natures hands

Post Thanks / Like

Not naming names, but this is one of the few subjects that has pissed me off. How about a couple of you try it since it is so easy. Try having to be at "work" every morning and every night regardless of how you feel or what is going on. Got the flu? Tough, go milk. Broke your arm? Tough, go milk. Wanna get away for the weekend? Tough, go milk. Want a vacation? Tough go milk. Don't knock it til you try it and don't try to bring politics into this because it doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. So, if you don't like what i say,i am hating that i am typing this, as our sorry vice-president recently said, "Go f*#k yourself".

Post Thanks / Like

Cohutta, raises hand, i have been bad, moderate me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast