Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota 55 Power Drive

Post Thanks / Like

Question Minn Kota 55 Power Drive

Here's another question! Does any one else have this problem with the Minn Kota power drive motors. When the motor is in the "stow" position and you have to pull up the little handle to slide it out to let it into the water is it just me or is that shaft really hard to slide out???? I have to wiggle and wiggle to try and get that shaft sliding. Does anyone recommend some type of lubricant or something?? I ain't no wussy but goshdarnit that thing can work you!!!! Thanks Pinetuck and all others. Don't get me wrong though I would not have another trolling motor!!! Jigsatwitchin'..................cd
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 55pd and it was hard to deploy at first. After some use it is a little easier. I tried silicone on the base part where the motor slides on and off but didn't seem to make any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine since May of last year and it is still tight. Did a lot of fishing up until about 2 weeks ago this winter and it does seem to be getting a little easier. Also have the co-pilot on mine. Best buy ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Never noticed that with mine....You might want to see if anything is in the head that the shaft goes through. Just a thought. Billy

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

mine was real hard at first but it got easier the more i used it.
    it is wort the extra effort i would be lost with out my auto pilot
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

I spray a little WD 40 on mine every now and then and it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I sprayed the entire shaft with silicone spray. Helped quite a bit on my auto pilot at home. Have a Motor Guide here in Florida. Much better deployment but I prefer the Minn Kota because of the variable speed & auto pilot. Just cannot git the speed right a lot of the time with the 5 speed Motor Guide.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wrote MK about that once and got a generic reply like "our engineers are always looking for ways to improve our products). Meanwhile, I carry a short piece of 2X4. Put it between the boat and the motor and can pop it right out. It beats almost falling overboard sometimes. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You remember when you were a kid and mom would rub your sliding board with wax paper to make it slick? Try it, it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I had that same problem when I got mine last year. It was a pain to put out. I would have to keep the latch pulled up with one hand and wiggle and hit the thing to get it to slide out with the other hand. Finally I said the **** with that and took my 4" grinder with a sanding disk to it. I went easy with it and just sanded a little bit of the mount were the motor rest. It doesn't take much, but it made a world of difference, and I haven't had any problems with it being to loose where it won't stay latched.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-22-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast