Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: buzzbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default buzzbaits

How do they work? What different ways can you present them and where to present them on the water?

Post Thanks / Like

*bump*

So i didn't get any response on the buzzbaits, which is fine i sort of learned a bit from videos and such. But i seem to be having a problem with the buzzbaits and i hope i get a response this time around.

Normally a buzzbait lines straight up to where the blade is on top of the water and the skirt and hook are under the surface of the water. However, mine sits sideways while retrieving the lure. I have no doubt in my mind that this is causing no bites on it. Most bites I have had on them is as soon as they hit the water, rather than during the retrieve. So my question is, how can I make the lure perform properly? I've tried decreasing the speed and increasing the speed, pointing the tip up or down, nothing seems to work. Help me out here folks.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris ... sounds like your buzzbait is not "tuned" (ie blade shaft is not aligned with skirt shaft ... bent to one side or the other). Are you saying that the buzzbait is not retrieving straight back to you, but running off to one side/direction or the other ?? Or is the bait coming straight back, but the bait is still crooked ??

Sometimes this "can" be useful (running off to one side) .... as this can help you keep your bait running parallel to the bank, run under the edges of docks, or bump into cover on the retrieve. But, if you want it to track straight back to you ... you'll have to bend the blade shaft, a little at a time, and test the results until you get the bait to run straight.

To answer the questions of your first post : They work by using the large blades, or multiple blades, to lift the whole bait to the surface. They are, pretty much, a chunk & wind kind of bait ... with varying speeds of retrieve as their main "difference". Blade size, number of blades, size of bait, clacker tabs, color of blades/skirt, addition of trailer plastics, and offsetting the blade shank (to run to one side) are also "differences" that can be chosen. Present them ANYWHERE you can put them, & get them back !!

If you're only getting hits on a buzzbait, when it hits the water ... you're putting the lure right on top of where the fish are !! If you can, position yourself to where you can cast/place the lure beyond this area & bring it over top of them. If you can't do this, switch to a topwater bait (popper style or prop style or shallow running minnow type).

Remember ... DON'T set the hook when you SEE the fish blow up on or suck down the bait ... keep reeling & set the hook when you FEEL the weight/pull against the rod !! That way, if the fish misses ... it still may try again ... and if it doesn't, at least you know where it is & can present the bait back in the zone !

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry i've been meaning to get back and comment on this.

I've noticed that the problem only happens with i attach a trailer plastic to it, but it also produces the most hits.

I will try the bending the blade to see if it works. Thanks for the help CP

Post Thanks / Like

I never use a plastic trailer with a buzz bait, I like to reel it as slow as possible and pinch the rivet to the shaft so the blade will squeek.to tune a buzz bait line up end of blade with hook if it rolls or runs to the side bend blade shaft the oppisite way it is running. The louder the squeek and the slower you can reel it the better. I use a cavitron brand buzz bait

Post Thanks / Like

You have gotten some good advice ... As with all types of lure chunkin most of us have developed our own little way of doing things ... I build a little 1/4 oz spinner bait that I have used for several years that has produced a lot of bass for me (I river fish mostly and in tide water and just above) ... You have been told how to adjust the shaft for tracking .. some like "Clacking" & "Squeaking" ... instead of a rivet I use a hollow bead ... I want my blade to really "Rev Up" and bend the blades to get this results ... Tuesday with the river low & clear I went up to "Mid Waters" and used nothing but this Buzz Bait (Solid Black Skirt) only got 6 Keeper size up to 4# and caught between 20 & 25 throw backs (I released the keeper size as well) ... Keep it simple and the BB will produce under the right conditions. For me the right conditions are clear to slightly stained water. I am fishin water from inches deep to many feet deep (From the edge out).

My 2 cents worth (with inflation you do the math as it is changing quickly from day to day)

JSC
    JSC On The Choctawhatchee

Post Thanks / Like

Finally took a picture of the 3 buzzbaits i use.

Like i said, the black one has produced the most hits. While the gold one makes the most splash, and of course the white does the most noise with the rattler.

I think i am going to start mismatching the two skirts to see what happens. I've been the told the only good time to fish buzzbaits is with a calm to barely no wind situation. Any wind reduces the effectiveness of the splashing on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

All good information.
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---WHEN I CAN FISH AND CATCH:D