Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Southern IL Crappie Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southern IL Crappie Trip

My 10 yr old grandson has a spring break comming up next week. He has worked hard bringing up his grades and I think I will take him down for some fishing as a reward.
    I would imagine that it is a little too early for bank fishing or for bluegill, so I may take the Osagian canoe w/8 hp Mariner.
    Any suggestions where we might get on a few crappie would be greatly appreciated.
    I have bank fished Crab Orchard at the marena a little later in the year.
    Smaller waters would be neat this time with time restrictions.
    Thank you, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

you might try the old herrin lake , some nice fish in there and smaller lake, also one outside of johnston city called arrowhead lake some nice fishing this time of yr. another smaller body of water..good luck
    Rodger, So.Ill.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

rodgerso.illinois, Thanks a ton for the information. Arrowhead had slipped from my limited memory bank.:o
    The last time I was at Crab Orchard a fella told me I should give that lake a try sometime.
    I sure hope the weather has settled down by then. This will be a very relaxed, open to changes trip.
    Isn't there a crappie shop in the Crab Orchard, Marion,area?
    I've already planned that if the fishing is too bad, we'll make a run for Bass Pro In Springfield, MO.:D
    We'll be leaving on Monday am. EARLY. Thanks again, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Don't want to reply to myself ,but there are 2 Herrin lakes. Is one any more promising than the other. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

yes you want the old lake take blk top road to right off 148 so. past the refuge. there is nice crappie shop in carterville,crappie pro. worth visiting, basspro in nashville is closer to here then branson..just thought.There is also small lake between carterville and energy with nice ramp..some good fish in it..
    Rodger, So.Ill.

Post Thanks / Like

you might try sam dale lake near johnsonville ILL it has lots of crappie just look for the warmest water you can find

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thank you Hack, That is my plan. Nothing sientific about this trip. No electronics . Will use my limited experiance to fish whatever looks or feels fishy. :rolleyes: Mike