Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old Technique; New Name

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Old Technique; New Name

After reading alot of the posts on fishing techniques, i got to thinking. I've tried and used 95% of them 35 years ago. Dock Shooting, Skipping, Flipping, Pitching, Dead Sticking and on and on. Seems like in the last 10 to 15 years folks started giving these old methods names. Just wondering how many of the OLDER guys here have used a technique 30 years ago and now it has a specific name. For instance, 35 years ago we were flinging jigs under Willow trees. Now they call it Dock Shooting. Anyway, just wondering...izzy:D

Post Thanks / Like

Funniest part is some of these pros that name these old techniques try to lay claim to inventing them.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

People just rename stuff. It's like trying to reinvent the Wheel by calling it a round thing. New labels for a new generation I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    After reading alot of the posts on fishing techniques, i got to thinking. I've tried and used 95% of them 35 years ago. Dock Shooting, Skipping, Flipping, Pitching, Dead Sticking and on and on. Seems like in the last 10 to 15 years folks started giving these old methods names. Just wondering how many of the OLDER guys here have used a technique 30 years ago and now it has a specific name. For instance, 35 years ago we were flinging jigs under Willow trees. Now they call it Dock Shooting. Anyway, just wondering...izzy:D
    Regards,

Moose1am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you did it Izzy. Everyone is going to start "Willow Flippin" now.:D
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

My mother used to do some "willow flippin". Still can feel it!!:D :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Well Izz ....

I grew up calling - having boat tied up to a tree and fishing straight down over the side of the boat .... "still fishing" Now it's being referred to mostly as "tightlining".
    Dragging a bait with a moving boat was always just simply called ... "trolling" ... no matter how many poles were involved, or which way the lines went. (there wasn't any "spider rigging, pulling, pushing, dragging, etc)
    Bobbers & floats were always called "corks" ... regardless of what they were made of.
    The "Float-n-Fly" technique was simply a Crappie fishing method of using a "cork & jig" to cast/retrieve to shallow water or shallow suspended Crappie.
    The "Drop Shot" method was just the way you fished for Catfish/Carp ... to suspend your bait slightly off the bottom.

Lots of techniques of old, never really had a "special name" ... they were just the way it was done. Slight variations, of those old techniques, are what got "named" as the "latest craze". That's why I put a disclaimer in my article about "Vertical Casting" ... I didn't invent the technique, I just put a name to it to distinguish it from "Vertical Jigging".

What's really funny, to me ... is that I started fishing when nylon braid was the only "line" available. Now, some 50yrs later, "braid" is all the rage :D ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I learned to bass fish with braided line. The line changed color ever ten feet so you could tell how much line was out. I learned what a backlash was at the age of 5 or so. Learned to get my line untangled at an early age too. When the started selling mono I quickly adapted to it. I will not go back to braided line unless they stop selling everything else and braided is the only thing left on the store shelf.

Funny how the more things change ... the more they stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I grew up calling - having boat tied up to a tree and fishing straight down over the side of the boat .... "still fishing" Now it's being referred to mostly as "tightlining".
    Dragging a bait with a moving boat was always just simply called ... "trolling" ... no matter how many poles were involved, or which way the lines went. (there wasn't any "spider rigging, pulling, pushing, dragging, etc)
    Bobbers & floats were always called "corks" ... regardless of what they were made of.
    The "Float-n-Fly" technique was simply a Crappie fishing method of using a "cork & jig" to cast/retrieve to shallow water or shallow suspended Crappie.
    The "Drop Shot" method was just the way you fished for Catfish/Carp ... to suspend your bait slightly off the bottom.

Lots of techniques of old, never really had a "special name" ... they were just the way it was done. Slight variations, of those old techniques, are what got "named" as the "latest craze". That's why I put a disclaimer in my article about "Vertical Casting" ... I didn't invent the technique, I just put a name to it to distinguish it from "Vertical Jigging".

What's really funny, to me ... is that I started fishing when nylon braid was the only "line" available. Now, some 50yrs later, "braid" is all the rage :D ......... cp
    Regards,

Moose1am