HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catfish slot limit at truman

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Catfish slot limit at truman

A friend of mine said he heard the doc was going to put a slot
    limit on catfish at truman lake. I enjoy putting jugs out and
    then crappie fishing. I wondered if any of you guys have heard
    if they are going to do the slot thing, and what it will entail.

Thanks
    john b.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard Drfishjd and a young guy who is a catfish guide talking about the subject at camp. I didn't get all the details, but it seemed they were wanting to make Truman a "trophy" catfish lake.
    I hope one of them responds here, it was a very interesting conversation hearing it from their point of view.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

You'd think Truman Lake would already be a Trophy lake for Catfish. It's the Trophy lake for every other fish. It's the MO grenada for sure!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that they weren't going to do it now, but can't confirm it. Better enforcement of the rules in place would be nice, perhaps checking on the guys that run trotlines multiple times everyday would be a good start. I think a small percentage of the fisherman take most of the blue cat out of Truman, the ordinary angler shouldn't be punished by others greed. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

as a member of a catfish website, as well as a diehard catter myself, I have not heard of any slot considerations for truman specificly. however there has been rumor of MDC implying a slot limit statewide. I heard they were thinking of trying tennesse's slot limit which says that a fisherman can only keep 1 cat per day over 34", regardless of species. except in tennesse you can keep as many cats under 34" as you want, while here the current creel limits will still apply. I am all for some more trophy catfish rules, but enforcing them would be hard. while most outdoorsmen, I feel, are honest sportsmen, some people will always make their own rules.
    and a slick ol game poacher is a tough criminal to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hey boys. Yeah Rugs Dr. and I kinda got worked up about that at camp. lol But to answer the question YES the MDC is purposing a slot of so many inches which works out to be anything @ 8 to16 lbs. They are misguided to thinking we dont have enough blue cats in Truman and its tributaries. This is a topic I can go for days on and the MDC has had me at their office along with a half dozen other folks recently to express thoughts and concerns. Being a guide I can assure you there is NO shortage of blues and especially that size. For now its a puposal but they are good at sliding in these kind of regulations before anyone hears bout em. We need to make sure this does NOT happen its a redundant and rediculous waste of time and money to try and fix sothin that aint broke. Sorry for ramblin..... Jeff Faulkenberry

Post Thanks / Like

WE might ask, what brought on this type of, thinking or what caused it.It could also lead into crappie limits and size, know of several people that would catch more than their limit, several times a day, one guy brags of having two, deep freezes full of crappie, greed & abuses of jugging, has started this. I have nothing against jugging or trot lines, fish hogs another story.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Its been my reply in some of these meetings that if we would enforce the limits we have then there would be no need for new laws. People get after me for releasing "big cats" 30+lbs. I do that by choice. I dont fault anyone for keeping em aslong as they dont have more than 5. But the crappie thing. I do think you will see it affect crappie. If theres more blues in a "protected" size they will be eatin somthin

Post Thanks / Like

Just what we need, more needless regulation.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me preface by saying I don't think it's needed either.
    But I do wonder "if" it did help Truman become a 'Trophy Lake', would that increase the number of people that would seek a guide in the long run, thus increasing business? Not sure as I'm not an expert on the type of cliental that pay for Catfish guide services.
    Just wondering.
    G.
    Standing in the Gap

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast