Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Missed opportunities

Post Thanks / Like

Default Missed opportunities

Went out to Halleck Lake this morning to fish before the wind picked up today and right off the bat, the wind was pretty gusty out there. Started off with an X-rap shad to test the waters, started getting a few hits but once again my main problem with fishing crankbaits let alone any type of bait is detecting a potential fish or an underwater weed bed. So i miss some fish on account of that. Then i missed some smallmouths as they were swimming after the bait during a mild retrieve but not attacking it, i tried slowing it down (nothing), jerking it a little bit (nothing), stop and go (nothing). Finally i gave up and switched a different spot where i saw some catfish on the darker side of the lake. Almost got a hit by a channel cat but once again my detection of fish and weeds is too similar. I didn't realize it was a catfish that hit the bait until after i retrieved fully and noticed the catfish break the water where i felt the slight tug on the line. Kept throwing the same bait in the general area and then expanded but that fish was gone and uninterested by that point.

I'll try again later this afternoon after i hit up the Bass Pro Shop in Council Bluffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a hot dog for the catfish in Halleck pond. Cut the dog about 1/2 of an inch long and then put it on a hook. Use a bobber and set it about 2 ft above the hot dog. Fish on the West side of the narrow channel North of the walking bridge. That will get you Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, and Catfish. Get to know what the bite feels like and then you can distinguish between the weeds and a fish bite. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I always keep a finger on the line when retrieving. If I feel a twitch or a tug, I set the hook. I set it into the weeds sometimes, but I set it into a fish a lot, too. I use spinning gear, and hold the rod in front of the reel when retrieving. The line runs over my index finger, and then to the reel. This is on my medium action rod, the ultra light I just watch the tip. I hold the rod parallel to the surface of the water. I don't point the tip at the water.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

I really wasn't fishing for catfish, thats why it surprised me when i saw it break the water near where i felt the slight tug on the line (I know for a fact that area has weeds because i lost a crankbait in the same area). Nevertheless, i will try the hot dog trick when fishing for catfish out there.

Depending on where the lure hits, depends on how i position the rod, and what I am using. Normally shallow crankbaits I will keep the rod tip point up and slowly bring it down as the bait gets closer to me. Sometimes i will start it off pointed down at the water give slight pulls upward early in the morning, that usually lands bass. I do the same with deep running crankbaits, but more of just a steady retrieve than the jerking motion or the pausing.

Heading back out again this morning hoping to break in some new spinnerbaits and jigs.

Normally I mess around with the drag reel on the top of the spinning reel to try and distinguish what I am hitting under the water.

Post Thanks / Like

They have trout stocked in there too if you like trout. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I do like trout. One of the very few freshwater fish I will eat. Since most of my fav lakes are closed, I'm out at halleck pond right now working with the jigs.